The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Boykin question

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    So what you're saying is he was down on himself as a "poor pro" because he could only train Labs but not other retrievers?

Junior high - or Junior Hunter - logic regards,

MG
    Nice...but she's a HR-SR level dog without the opportunity for ribbons yet. But thanks for trying to gauge my opinion on my 19 month old. I work at 8 HT's minimum per year plus 1-2 FT's and will, more than likely, be judging this year.

I can also tell after seeing a large number of these little guys, that they are not for the faint of heart. He was not the first guy and not the last to get frustrated with a boykin. Ever heard anyone say, "Man that was an easy dog to train?" when speaking of a boykin?
    Kendall Layne

HR(2xHRCH) Ashland's Big Black Ruby to Go SH
    Dorie's Lady of the Lake(1K bird club)

Never play leap frog with a unicorn.

As a matter of fact, duck, it ain't that hard - if you know how to train a retriever. The Brits - who know a thing or two about both - say that Labs are born half-trained and spaniels die half-trained. Boykins are spaniels that are born retrieving - if you can't train them to retrieve, it's on you, or your "poor pro" - not the breed.

My FT training partners used to ask, How do you get that little dog to carry those long overs? Well, you see, most spaniels quarter quite naturally, including Boykins, so they take these nice flat casts from side to side. So, yes, making a Boykin the easiest dog I ever put through the double-T, swimby and to the Boykin's credit as a retrieving spaniel, straightest lines on pattern blinds without fading - probably because they're so low to the ground.

"Easy to train?" - you mean they have to be trained, so I gotta expend the time and effort with them, just like with any other retriever, right? Thought so...

MG

Banned

I love the breed and I'm pretty high on them. Yes they train differently then a lab, but I enjoy the change. You have to be patient and take your time. They are no 90 day wonders that's for sure.

Hank Huckaby. 2 years old and running Senior successfully with his owner. He's a pretty good hunting dog too!!!

Angie

what about other aspects as far as flushing... are they big runners? are the steady on the flush? retrieving shouldn't be a problem... I've only hunted with pointing breeds... my dog found and brought back everything... do these dogs have a temper? we have a very busy house! always people over.... the dog will be well socialized, but snapping or aggressive behavior can't be tolerated... I have been able to find Earl from Oregon.. thanks for the heads up. would still like to see theys guys in action...

Well I don't know of any West coast breeders, I can recommend Brandywine Creek boykins. http://www.brandywinecreekboykins.com/ Check them out on FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/331775494483/ you'll see posts from brandywine owners from various parts of the country doing a variety of hunting.

gracieff.jpg

I picked up this little girl in June for my wife, it's her lap dog but may be what gets my wife involved in the hunt test games. Just starting hold/FF training with her now.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Banned

I've found that they are a "busy" dog. Always moving. Temperaments are great, no aggression issues. My clients have used their dogs for waterfowling but I don't see why you couldn't teach them to sit to the flush. Since they are a flushing dog they will naturally go in and flush the bird. You can teach them to quarter and work tight just like any other flushing breed.

Angie

They can be taught to be steady to flush and are expected to be in tests, cover the ground hard and fast. The do well in the retriever tests also, and can readily be taught to handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHpv...layer_embedded

hunter and dogs_n.jpg
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    I've found that they are a "busy" dog. Always moving. Temperaments are great, no aggression issues. My clients have used their dogs for waterfowling but I don't see why you couldn't teach them to sit to the flush. Since they are a flushing dog they will naturally go in and flush the bird. You can teach them to quarter and work tight just like any other flushing breed.

Angie
    The majority of Boykins I've owned over the last 15 plus years have had wonderful temperaments, but I've purchased a couple puppies from outside breeders that were not of the quality temperaments I require in my breeding program. Both dogs were spayed/neutered and rehomed to adult homes (no children) and no other dogs.

Also ensure that the breeder you select is testing for Exercise Induced Collapse (EIC), because of the Boykins EIC tested so far, the carrier ratio in Boykins is similiar to the carrier ratio of EIC in Labrador Retrievers. The breed also has #14 incidence of Hip Dysplasia, cardiac issues, patella problems, numerous hereditary eye issues that can be mild to causing blindness, and epilepsy, thryoid, along with allergies, lots of skin and ear issues.
    Last edited by frontier; 12-20-2012 at 12:45 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by DOG ON POINT View Post
    what about other aspects as far as flushing... are they big runners? are the steady on the flush? retrieving shouldn't be a problem... I've only hunted with pointing breeds... my dog found and brought back everything... do these dogs have a temper? we have a very busy house! always people over.... the dog will be well socialized, but snapping or aggressive behavior can't be tolerated... I have been able to find Earl from Oregon.. thanks for the heads up. would still like to see theys guys in action...
    Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post

Angie
    Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    They can be taught to be steady to flush and are expected to be in tests, cover the ground hard and fast. The do well in the retriever tests also, and can readily be taught to handle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgHpv...layer_embedded

hunter and dogs_n.jpg
    http://www.boykinspaniel.org/upland_test_info.php

@ Quackwacker funny I literally was just checking out the National Field trial Entry, we are going to try and make it there this year. It'll be our first go at it. Unfortunately, won't make it to the upland. Thanks for the heads up though.
    Terry "Bud" Cunningham
    Kankakee River HRC