The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Boykin question

crackerd

Actually it is. Of course there is some variety but I have seen appearancewise Boykins who look like they are different breeds, questionable temperament (not spaniel rage, something else), and OK drive vs. "I want to hunt with that dog" type of drive. Again, four dogs is not enough but had I looked at four field goldens I would expect a narrower range of type. Just my opinion. I am certainly not critical. I like Boykins a lot.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    This is very true and happens quite often in a new or off breed. You're gene pool is rather small and everyone wants to outcross due to the lack of understanding in regards to inbreeding. Also many are pet owners who see things quite differently then those of us who actually work and compete our dogs.

This attitude is very frustrating and you have to weed out a lot of "breeders" before you find one that really has a grasp or even a partial grasp of what the breed is about.

Angie
    And because the genepool is so small, linebreeding with the genetic health issues in this breed and irresponsible breeding can adversely influence the next generation of Boykins much more than a diverse genepool like the Labrador Retrievers. There are way too many high volume, backyard and puppy mill breeders, and just plain uneducated individuals in this breed that continue to produce hundreds of pups annually and don't even take the time to screen for OFA hips on their breeding stock, not to mention the many other genetic health issues this breed faces. It's quite alarming for those of us who care for the health of this breed for future generations.
    Last edited by frontier; 12-21-2012 at 01:06 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frontier View Post
    And because the genepool is so small, linebreeding with the genetic health issues in this breed and irresponsible breeding can adversely influence the next generation of Boykins much more than a diverse genepool like the Labrador Retrievers. There are way too many high volume, backyard and puppy mill breeders, and just plain uneducated individuals in this breed that continue to produce hundreds of pups annually and don't even have take the time to screen for OFA hips on their breeding stock, not to mention the many other genetic health issues this breed faces. It's quite alarming for those of us who care for the health of this breed for future generations.
    Agreed,,,,

Angie

Well, all I can say is that the ones I've trained have been very easy to work with. In fact, It's hard for me to imagine a dog that's easier to train than what Reese has been. Very eager to please, & has no problem doing the work. Also extremely fun to hunt with.

Breaking Ice

A couple more pics

Crackerd inspired photo

I love the pics guys.I had the opportunity to see one work in a dove field and told myself I would have one someday.He was an awseome lil marking machine.
    FC AFC Slider/Junie

thanks for some of the pm's... sorry I can't reply until I have 10 posts... this is #4. lots of good info, thanks... my one questions is one "group" of people should I aviod... boykin society or something like.. I've read that there is a splinter group that has low standards on the genetics of these dogs and their breeding practices... thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    This is very true and happens quite often in a new or off breed. You're gene pool is rather small and everyone wants to outcross due to the lack of understanding in regards to inbreeding. Also many are pet owners who see things quite differently then those of us who actually work and compete our dogs.

This attitude is very frustrating and you have to weed out a lot of "breeders" before you find one that really has a grasp or even a partial grasp of what the breed is about.

Angie
    Angie it is so refreshing to see people that think like Blaine T, Hairy Dog and I do. We are trying hard to keep the hunt in the Boykins here in Ga. but because they are such "good" dogs, people are breeding and snatching them up for lap dogs at an alarming rate. Hairy Dogs Reese is the sire of my last litter and my 5 mth old Jessie is a go getter! Thanks for your love of the breed!

Wes

Quote Originally Posted by DOG ON POINT View Post
    thanks for some of the pm's... sorry I can't reply until I have 10 posts... this is #4. lots of good info, thanks... my one questions is one "group" of people should I aviod... boykin society or something like.. I've read that there is a splinter group that has low standards on the genetics of these dogs and their breeding practices... thanks.
    Boykins have only recently been registered by the AKC ( last two years). Before that, only the Boykin Spaniel Society had a registry for the breed. While there are no rules on health clearances to breed and register Boykins just like other breeds, some of us are working hard to correct some of the issues. My advise would be to only buy a pup that the parents have had all health clearances done.

Brown dog Mafia.jpg

Here is the Brown Dog Mafia from Georgia