The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Boykin question

because there are already enough lab pics on this forum....figured we could load this one up with more Boykin pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackwacker View Post
    Boykins have only recently been registered by the AKC ( last two years). Before that, only the Boykin Spaniel Society had a registry for the breed. While there are no rules on health clearances to breed and register Boykins just like other breeds, some of us are working hard to correct some of the issues. My advise would be to only buy a pup that the parents have had all health clearances done.

Actually, the Boykin Spaniel became eligible for full AKC registration, December 30, 2009 and was eligible for competition in the Sporting Group, effective January 1, 2010. However, the Boykin Spaniel was recorded in the AKC Foundation Stock Service since 1997.
    It's been stated before, buy from a reputable breeder that is performing the required health clearances. That's far more important to your selection than which registry you choose to participate in... If your Boykin develops crippling severe hip dysplasia or goes blind or is severely affected from Exercise Induced Collapse, no matter how much desire, drive, and birdiness he has, he cannot fulfill the goals you have for him as a hunting companion.
    Last edited by frontier; 12-21-2012 at 03:33 PM.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

here's one of the responses I got from a lab friend out here about watching boykins work...
    Boykins are not eligible to run AKC Retriever Field Trials but were approved for Retriever Hunt Tests about a year ago. We mostly run trials but I did enter a few hunt tests this year. We run at Master and there were no Boykins entered at that level. I am not sure if any ran at the lower levels. You can go through the retriever hunt test entries on Entry Express and see if any were entered this last year and see if they qualified.

The main venue for Boykins are Spaniel trials and hunt tests. I would check out the entries at those events. I am not sure where they are listed.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by DOG ON POINT View Post
    here's one of the responses I got from a lab friend out here about watching boykins work...
    Boykins are not eligible to run AKC Retriever Field Trials but were approved for Retriever Hunt Tests about a year ago. We mostly run trials but I did enter a few hunt tests this year. We run at Master and there were no Boykins entered at that level. I am not sure if any ran at the lower levels. You can go through the retriever hunt test entries on Entry Express and see if any were entered this last year and see if they qualified.

The main venue for Boykins are Spaniel trials and hunt tests. I would check out the entries at those events. I am not sure where they are listed.

Good luck!
    yes that is true. they cannot run in AKC Field trials. They do run in AKC and HRC hunt tests though and they're some running in master HT's. just must not have been in any that you saw.

Good luck!
    It's really regional for number of participants you will see at the AKC hunt tests. Boykins have been part of UKC hunt tests for years. I believe 3 qualified for the AKC Master National, and Chief was a finalist. I anticipate the numbers will continue to grow gradually as more Boykin owners train for advanced hunt test levels, but they will never surpass the #1 Lab as the breed of choice.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)

The main venue for Boykins are Spaniel trials and hunt tests.
    Pointer, that ain't altogether true - Boykins are not eligible for spaniel field trials (only springers and cockers of the spaniel breeds can run them, and those two breeds never against each other), and the spaniel hunt test program is sparsely fielded in the first place (but has struggled less since Boykins came into them).

As for retrieving, Boykins have been HRC mainstays for some time, there also are a growing number of AKC Master Hunters in the breed (including esylivin's Chief, who's also GHRCH) and my own Boykin never failed a NAHRA test back when that was the only retriever option in my neck of the woods for running her. Lot of naysayers just a few years ago are now

eating crow about their capabilities.

Going AKC has been a boon to the Boykin in a number of ways - including competitive venues and greater scrutiny into sounder breeding practices for what was once considered almost a disposable gundog pigeonholed in one region of the country. On the downside, there once were no "show" Boykins, now...(I'll let you fill in the rest) even if they do show up right pretty

wherever you see them

MG

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    Those are great looking dogs! Did Stephen train yours or you? Either way, nice job!

I never said they could not do the work, only that it maybe be slightly more "challenging". I certainly like the fact you are helping the breed by pushing forward and doing a fine job. I like seeing the cocky little guys come back to the line with the "bird in mouth, look at me, chest out, strut!" You can't help but smile...
    I trained Chief myself and passed him in his title run at the Grand. Stephen runs Chief when I'm unable to take off work. (The AKC game is not conducive for an amateur who works full time to participate) At major events he will usually get chief a few weeks ahead of time to fine tune. Stephen has helped a lot with Chief's training and done a fantastic job of handling him. He started helping with his training after Chief got his HRCH title. He passed him at his first Grand, five of the six Master Tests and at the Master Nationals. I passed him at his first Master Test and at his second Grand making him the only Boykin to have passed the Grand by his amateur owner and handler. Stephen and I are good friends and he will continue to run Chief when I'm unavailable. Stephen has trained a lot of Boykins since first working with Chief . They have taught each other a lot.
    GRHRCH UH Saint Thomas Chief MHR
    First & Only Boykin to Pass The Master Nationals
    HRC 2000 Points Club
    2010 & 2014 BSS National Open Champion

have a quackwacker pup named Newt, or Drake's brother.. yall better remember the Boykin named Drake!! He's got it goin on.

in honor of cracker
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Boykin in the "Macks" advertisment is a dog named "Trigger."
    A full brother to "Earl."

I have shot over several Boykins in UKC UH tests.
    Trigger in particular.

They are really nice upland dogs.
    EXCELLENT grouse dogs!!!

They are smart, energetic and fearless!
    Stan b & Elvis