The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Another Boykin question

Honkin heard from amongst the Hawkeyes, as I live and breathe! - How you doing out there in the heartland with them little dogs that's got such big heart? About that upcoming litter - they going to be more of them "triple-threat Boykins" - flush, cap-R Retrieve and that other great Boykin trait you enlightened us about?

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Honkin heard from amongst the Hawkeyes, as I live and breathe! - How you doing out there in the heartland with them little dogs that's got such big heart? About that upcoming litter - they going to be more of them "triple-threat Boykins" - flush, cap-R Retrieve and that other great Boykin trait you enlightened us about?

MG
    Do ya think one of them will be suitable for my 'Goshawk' MG?....Because that's next on my 'wanna be' list!..just before I go...
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

Quote Originally Posted by polmaise View Post
    Do ya think one of them will be suitable for my 'Goshawk' MG?....Because that's next on my 'wanna be' list!..just before I go...
    Robt., 'fraid this is one o' them "lost in translations" - Honkin being amongst the Hawkeyes which is another name for denizens of the fine state of Iowa, not a lot of hawks' eyes drawing a bead on him. Don't know if I would cotton to falconing over a li'lo Boykin, as the hawk's eyes - the goshawk's eyes - might light up with anticipation of its next meal. - Have had bald eagles give mine a 25-foot flyover with that prurient thought in mind.

On the other hand...the Boykin's retriever outlook is finder's keepers, as with this mallard drake

that fell out of an eagle's nest shorn of its neck plumage (but got delivered "cleanly" for table fare, instead of going back to what vanquished it as bird feed).

Tell more about your falconry wannabe-ing.

MG

It's Just those 'Cross-roads' in life mate!
    My Falconry' day's are planned and have been for some time!
    I just kept it under the wing'?
    The Boykin', was more Your'e ! challenge!!!!..I have always been up for something 'different'!...and over here it's 'Different'!?....
    I have taken a Collie on a driven day retrieving pheasants better than most!..and a Border Terrier beating' and flushing amongst the best of spaniels!
    So I just thought I would take something, that every-one would say ?...What's That?.......
    atb
    R.
    One Shooter One Spaniel One Retriever

what about eic in boykins. i have had two and they both had it. is it more common than in labs?

Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    what about eic in boykins. i have had two and they both had it. is it more common than in labs?
    personally i havent known any around here with EIC....much bigger problem with the hips from what ive seen.

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    personally i havent known any around here with EIC....much bigger problem with the hips from what ive seen.
    well i am comparing the symptoms to eic that i have seen in labs, loved both dogs and would get another one from the right litter, when i contacted the breeder from the second one i never got a response

Currently middle of the "Great" Plains- Ord NE

EIC is about as prevalent as it is in Labs. I know of three that are Affected, as well as a couple of carriers.
    Raina Anderson WWW.FIREHOUSELABS.COM

According to this BMI chart, I am too short !!!

Quote Originally Posted by kip View Post
    Not sure. Many Boykin owners aren't testing for it yet, but I had Reese tested, & he was clear.

Eic statics are just about the same in Boykins as labs. Most are testing now.
    HRCH Ashes Winter Smith MH
    HRCH Jamie's Winter Blizzard MH
    HRCH Lone Oak's Gypsy MH
    HRCH UH Willson's Worth the Wait Kate MH
    HRCH King Henry's Tennessee Daisy MH
    GRHRCH LONEOAK'S THIEF MH
    HRCH UH KJ Just Cinnamon and Spice MHR (AKA Bon Bon Dog) Youngest HRCH (14 months), MHR (35 Months) and First Boykin Female MHR