RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Another Boykin question

36K views 116 replies 31 participants last post by  huntinman 
#1 ·
I've mostly hunted over Vizsla's, GSP & Britts... Had to put my Vizsla down last year at 9yrs with cancer... still having a hard time with it and no dog this season... anyway, time for a new dog. My wife wants a smaller dog & I have to have a hunting dog. Needs to be versatile! I like NAVHDA, I decided on a Brittany and found a good breeder with good bloodlines etc... anyway, I'm looking through a cataloge yesterday and see a little dog advertising a neoprene dog vest, thought is was a puddle pointer or something... turns out to be a Boykin. What the heck is a Boykin... made a few calls, no info on the breed, researched and found some basic stuff... friend on another forum (theoutdoorsforum.com) suggested I look over here.
Q; are there any breeders in California? I don't care about show, agility, field trials etc... (though I may run a few field trials just for fun).... needs to be a good family dog & hunt!
I don't mind traveling any distance to get a good dog... I know blood lines & training have a lot to do with it...
I would get another Vizsla in a heart beat, but I also like being married too :cool:... I know I said a lot there with only one question... but the next dog I get will be us for the next 10yrs+ we will also, most likely be getting another dog in a year and I would really like to see these dogs work....
Q; anybody seen these dogs work in the retriever trials on the west coast? (I'm in OC), so I don't mind driving...
thanks!

See less See more
#51 ·
crackerd

Actually it is. Of course there is some variety but I have seen appearancewise Boykins who look like they are different breeds, questionable temperament (not spaniel rage, something else), and OK drive vs. "I want to hunt with that dog" type of drive. Again, four dogs is not enough but had I looked at four field goldens I would expect a narrower range of type. Just my opinion. I am certainly not critical. I like Boykins a lot.

#54 ·
Well, all I can say is that the ones I've trained have been very easy to work with. In fact, It's hard for me to imagine a dog that's easier to train than what Reese has been. Very eager to please, & has no problem doing the work. Also extremely fun to hunt with.

Breaking Ice

#57 ·
thanks for some of the pm's... sorry I can't reply until I have 10 posts... this is #4. lots of good info, thanks... my one questions is one "group" of people should I aviod... boykin society or something like.. I've read that there is a splinter group that has low standards on the genetics of these dogs and their breeding practices... thanks.

#59 ·
Boykins have only recently been registered by the AKC ( last two years). Before that, only the Boykin Spaniel Society had a registry for the breed. While there are no rules on health clearances to breed and register Boykins just like other breeds, some of us are working hard to correct some of the issues. My advise would be to only buy a pup that the parents have had all health clearances done.

#64 ·
here's one of the responses I got from a lab friend out here about watching boykins work...
Boykins are not eligible to run AKC Retriever Field Trials but were approved for Retriever Hunt Tests about a year ago. We mostly run trials but I did enter a few hunt tests this year. We run at Master and there were no Boykins entered at that level. I am not sure if any ran at the lower levels. You can go through the retriever hunt test entries on Entry Express and see if any were entered this last year and see if they qualified.

The main venue for Boykins are Spaniel trials and hunt tests. I would check out the entries at those events. I am not sure where they are listed.

Good luck!

#69 ·
have a quackwacker pup named Newt, or Drake's brother.. yall better remember the Boykin named Drake!! He's got it goin on.

in honor of cracker

Attachments

#70 ·
The Boykin in the "Macks" advertisment is a dog named "Trigger."
A full brother to "Earl."

I have shot over several Boykins in UKC UH tests.
Trigger in particular.

They are really nice upland dogs.
EXCELLENT grouse dogs!!!

They are smart, energetic and fearless!

#71 ·
Well my wife has asked several times if this is the kind of dog I wanted and even called them cute... sooo, still not totally sold on the breed yet, but it looks like we'll be getting probably around June if I can find the right breeding... (we have summers off, so a great time for socializing)... I am set on having two dogs, so who knows, maybe this will open the door for me getting another small vizsla :cool: oh, keep the pics coming, they are pretty awesome! Merry Christmas! who know, give it a year of trainging and we could end up with 2 Boykins...

#73 ·
Well my wife has asked several times if this is the kind of dog I wanted and even called them cute... who know, give it a year of training and we could end up with 2 Boykins...
That's generally how it works with getting a Boykin (or two) - the wife or significant other gets the training after you've gotten the message that she would like to have a gundog of her own (or two), too.

They do "cute" real well

and then they do whatever you ask of them that makes them

much cuter

Convincingly cute enough to end up with a couple of Boykins, if I do say so myself.

MG

#74 ·
Here ya go. Angie already posted one pic but here are a few more.
He is one pass away from his Jr. title and he has one Sr. pass at 19 months old. Hank has been dove and duck hunting all season long, he has a ton of drive and is an excellent marking dog. I will post some hunting pics after I get them uploaded.

Hank Huckaby

#81 ·
thanks... good advice, I will take it into consideration... I think with this post = #10 so I can reply to a few pms and return some calls I put out there... I think once I nail down 2-3 good breeders / bloodlines, I'll play the waiting game and hopefully something works out... I love window shopping! it stops me from impulse buying... like I've said, this dog will be with us for the next 10+ yrs... if you or anybody happen to get a good lead on a littler, please feel free to let me know.

#83 ·
FOREWARNING:
If you get one you will hear the words "Boykins are not Labs".
They are different, VERY different. If you have used Spaniels before then maybe you know already.
I have my first Boykin. He is 11 months now. They are almost too smart.
Expect to have to wait for a puppy. Especially if you want a female.
Great personality, great family pet, great drive. Too small for geese. Mine handles Mallards and Canvas Backs with ease.
Expect some ridicule until they see him work.

#84 ·
FOREWARNING:
If you get one you will hear the words "Boykins are not Labs".
They are different, VERY different. If you have used Spaniels before then maybe you know already.
I have my first Boykin. He is 11 months now. They are almost too smart.
Expect to have to wait for a puppy. Especially if you want a female.
Great personality, great family pet, great drive. Too small for geese. Mine handles Mallards and Canvas Backs with ease.
Expect some ridicule until they see him work.
You had me there for a good long while, Gauge. What should I ask for, an undo-over

after a couple thousand geese the last 11-12 years? Don't shortchange them in going about their work, you'll be happy you didn't.

MG

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.