The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Another Boykin question

Quote Originally Posted by Bud View Post
    @ Quackwacker funny I literally was just checking out the National Field trial Entry, we are going to try and make it there this year. It'll be our first go at it. Unfortunately, won't make it to the upland. Thanks for the heads up though.
    Bud, I hope to make it this year with a new pup myself! Hope to see you there!

Some boykins are real nice. Some not so much.hope this insight helps.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlaineT View Post
    Some boykins are real nice. Some not so much.hope this insight helps.
    Sounds like any other breed....

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Sounds like any other breed....

Angie
    It does doesn't it Angie....lol

Seriously they can be great dogs...
    I've had several, and have one real nice young male 17 months old that ill be running in Open at the Nationals this spring. He's a tad moody (which is how I describe training them). They can be obstinate especially when you are in big dog work. But he's a joy to hunt with and seems to show up on game day.

I've FFd, I think 5 of them in the last couple years. Never had any issues other than sometimes they're so wired and active you gotta head lock them to keep them still.

I follow a typical Carr based formula but there are times you have to adjust tactics.
    I think Angie said it best there are no 90 day wonders.

the good ones are fun to watch and be with.

But the ones that prance out to the marks at tests real prissy like can be brutal.

"Not for the faint of heart" -

Ain't no telling what 23 pounds of terror can get up to...

including hallucinating that they might have to outgrow having a canine Napoleon syndrome

Flushing and hupping to it is such an imposition on their busy time...but when they do sit still, they sit for a long and mighty companionable time. None better at it in my experience with Boykins and (plenty of) other breeds going back 50-odd years.

MG
    Last edited by crackerd; 12-20-2012 at 03:16 PM.

Great pics crackerd
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Vaughan View Post
    Just about anyone in NC or SC are familiar with Boykins...the breed was developed in Boykin, SC...thus the breed name Boykin! Great "little" dogs with big hearts!
    Not really. Not one boykin has ever been in the building of our ob club (somewhat down the street from you) when I've been in the building and I'm there a lot.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Quote Originally Posted by Duckquilizer View Post
    Nice...but she's a HR-SR level dog without the opportunity for ribbons yet. But thanks for trying to gauge my opinion on my 19 month old. I work at 8 HT's minimum per year plus 1-2 FT's and will, more than likely, be judging this year.

I can also tell after seeing a large number of these little guys, that they are not for the faint of heart. He was not the first guy and not the last to get frustrated with a boykin. Ever heard anyone say, "Man that was an easy dog to train?" when speaking of a boykin?

Mine was very easy to train. Not many retrievers have a Grand Title as well as a Master National pass. He's never failed an AKC hunt Test and has almost 2000 HRC points. So you can now say you have heard ""Man that was an easy dog to train?" when speaking of a boykin?"

Crackered, keep the pics comin
    GRHRCH UH Saint Thomas Chief MHR
    First & Only Boykin to Pass The Master Nationals
    HRC 2000 Points Club
    2010 & 2014 BSS National Open Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Esylivin View Post
    Mine was very easy to train. Not many retrievers have a Grand Title as well as a Master National pass. He's never failed an AKC hunt Test and has almost 2000 HRC points. So you can now say you have heard ""Man that was an easy dog to train?" when speaking of a boykin?"

Crackered, keep the pics comin
    stop dan. don't start bringing in real life facts here.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Not really. Not one boykin has ever been in the building of our ob club (somewhat down the street from you) when I've been in the building and I'm there a lot.
    I'm seeing Boykins at more and more Hunt Test in NC/SC...it's not unusual to have 2 or 3 running in Jr/Sr tests this past fall. I have a neighbor that has a pet Boykin and another friend who owns a second Boykin after losing the first one to old age...all in NC. They are not as abundant as Labs, but give the breed some time. By the way, I don't ever remember being in your ob club building (although I have no idea what/where it is) either so what does that make me?
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10