The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Getting a Shingles Shot

Default Getting a Shingles Shot

This is why the health care system in this country is so messed up

Last month I had the misfortune of contracting shingles, which is an adult form of chicken pox. It presented itself on my left thigh from my hip to my knee...if you are over 50 you are susceptible to getting it and let me tell you, it was one of the most painful 2 weeks of my life

So I go back to my doctor since I am still having some residual pain in the area, and she writes me a prescription for Zostavax (which is the shot) which they claim will keep me from getting another outbreak

Here is where it gets comical...my doctor's office doesnt carry the vaccine..ok no problem

1. I go to the local CVS pharmacy...sorry we don't carry it because the vaccine is frozen until used

2. I go to my Culinary Union pharmacy...sorry we don't carry it...but will call and see who does

3. they say CVS pharmacy...I laugh and say try again...so they tell me the local Walgreens right down the street

4. so I go to the Walgreens and they tell me they are out and wont have it till mid January, but wait....the pharmacist then tells me they only give the vaccine to those 60 yrs and older...REALLY

5. So I call back my local primary care doctor to order and make an appointment to get the vaccine this morning at 8am...get to the doctors office only to be told we dont carry the vaccine

6. Now I know why they have this big sticker in the window saying NO GUNS ALLOWED ON THE PREMISE

So then one might ask, why dont you have your brother get it for you...I would but he is headed to Kentucky for the holiday and will be hunting Missouri whitetails afterward,and traveling 1300 mi round trip is not an option for one shot

If you have had chicken pox as a youngster you have the virus in you, they are not quite sure why they are seeing an outbreak in many adults over 50....BUT if you can get the vaccine , do it, because I don't wish any of you to go through the pain of contracting the illness

If I cant get something as simple as this shot, what does this say about the future of health care in this country..I have insurance, I have been told its "cadillac" insurance...Hope all the RTF'ers out there have a Merry Christmas and a healthy New Year
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

My assistant is going through the same thing. She is over 60 and getting the ssame run around. We also have very good insurance.
    What you get out of it is what you put into it, then a fat lady sings.
    Marc Broussard

I never recieved the shot but I had shingles several years ago, it was very painful. I had to see 3 Dr's before finding one that knew what it was.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Quote Originally Posted by gmhr1 View Post
    I never recieved the shot but I had shingles several years ago, it was very painful. I had to see 3 Dr's before finding one that knew what it was.
    I diagnosed it properly thanks to webMD and an iPhone...I woke up one morning and saw the blisters and freaked, got on the net and luckily my symptoms matched, sent a pic to my brother when he woke up, and he verified what he thought....Went to my doctor and was on the ant virals within six hours of contracting it....the toughest thing was having to stay away from Dana's kids since they have not had chicken pox yet....It was also during the time the restaurant was closed for remodeling,and I had to cancel plans to go to Idaho to hunt geese and train dogs...
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Maybe it's the area of the country. Around here you can walk into local pharmacies, kmart etc. and get it on the spot just like a flu shot. The even have a sign on the door of Kmart advertising it.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

My daughter who is 20 years old has had shingles twice. She had the first out break two year ago. She is not even eligible for the shot. Her case was brought on by being sick and then stressing about school. We did not get the medication right away the first time because we did not have a clue she had shingles. After a visit to the urgent care and told she had it I felt so bad for her. My kids always get the old people problems.

Terri

Must be regional, because our pharmacies in this area all advertise that they have the vaccination.
    I had shingles at 18 years old, and again at 20. It's not just for old people.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA MHU SH MXP MJP XFP T2BP DJ VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com