The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Laws

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    Not fine. I sold mine . And don't have the money for another. Plus I want an mk18 for home defense, but am not going to pay for one and then start the paperwork just so it can take 9 months to get approved then be banned....

Pointless legislation is pointless.
    Yes I mean I'd fight it as much I could but if it passes for another 10 years and expires Oh Well let them be stupid in thinking it actually did something.

You know they will never see the fact that it is doing nothing to help gun crime. They see it as a victory against an enemy (us).
    Joshua T.

Quote Originally Posted by Didley View Post
    You know they will never see the fact that it is doing nothing to help gun crime. They see it as a victory against an enemy (us).
    and one step closer to confiscation.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    MnGundog your argument about Romney Vs Obama is just old news.

I am more concerned about his comment he will use what ever power his office holds to make sure something like this doesnt happen again...
    A gun is useless,, if ammunition,, or the components to make it, are extreamly expensive due to regulation on manufactuers which will be passed on to consumers,, or the possibility that ammo and components will also be regulated to the gun buying public in an unrealistic, oppressive way..

Gooser
    I agree and I think we can fully expect to see graduated licenses for gun owners, liability insurance requirements for gun ownership, household registration requirements and yearly reregistration fees, way higher taxes on ammunition and new guns. And, the liberals will make sure to slip language into the bill that will allow some liberal left wing judge to interpret that law abiding gun owners will be held libel for crimes committed if our guns are stolen. The lawyers are going to have a field day.

And they will justify all their actions and new taxes by spending money for gun buy back programs and mental health funding.

Great post Gooser.

Don
    Just for the record I have very fine dogs. Some of the best in the whole country....or at least on my own block anyhow.

Gooser that has to be the most sense I have heard anybody make.
    Bryan Manning

Country Boy Retrievers
    HRCH BM's Crank It Up Daisy QAA "Daisy"
    Country Boys Locked n Loaded "Trigger"

I don't know much about guns. I don't own one. I don't shoot. I don't hunt. So, I listen carefully to what you fellas have to say because most of you DO know about guns. Here are some of the things I have learned, and maybe what the general public needs to know:

I had did not know what the term "semi-automatic" could mean any weapon that could fire more than one shot without re-loading; thus, making a revolver such a weapon.

The term "AR-15" sounds very intimidating ... to the unlearned ear, it sounds a lot like AK-47; and the difference is a HUGE one.

IF ...
    ... all law-abiding citizens registered all their guns ... it sure would be easier to find them if some law were made to confiscate them. This seems like a far-fetched proability, yet it has happened before historically. We already have an inkling that our lawmakers think they are smarter and know better how to protect the "great unwashed masses", so even in our country we are getting closer to a "big brother" mentality.

... nobody in their right mind would put guns (or even sharp objects!) in the hands of the mentally ill; alcoholic; or someone having previously demonstrated violent behaviors (domestic violence, for example). Background checks are reasonable. If they take a week, the law-abiding citizen will wait. Even a couple of weeks would be reasonable. If they take 6 months, who is not doing their job?

... criminals have never, and will never, follow the gun laws.

... the first right listed in our human rights: "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". To deprive anyone of the right to defend their own life seems to deny the most basic right. If a thug accosts someone on the street with a knife or brute force that could endanger the victim's life, why shouldn't that victim be able to defend themselves? The weak and defenseless are often chosen over those who appear capable of defending an assault, even when guns are not involved. A 110# woman with a small gun gets a great equalizer if attacked by a 190# man with knife. Just talking about levelling the playing field for the weaker victims ... "giving everyone a fair shot", as our POTUS would say (pun intended!)

... it has been proven, over and over again, that even the most restrictive gun laws do not prevent crimes using guns. I have no doubt that this nutcase in Newtown would have found some way to vent his violence. He was a bright guy, so it might have taken him a little while longer, but he would have vented his violence on another day.

... I think there is some merit in having a teacher (or more than one), who is willing, to carry a weapon or to have access to a weapon stored in a safe place in the school (a vault or safe; which could even be in that teacher's classroom). I don't think you need to arm every teacher in the school. Put a safe in every classroom, let the perp wonder which one has a gun in it.

It occurs to me that these nutcases choose schools that are defenseless ... how often do schools in inner cities have an incident like this (wonder if there is a study for that?) Such a perp wouldn't be afraid of the teachers taking him down; he'd have to worry more about some of the students doing it! Of course, a lot of those inner city schools already have armed guards. I think "armed" is the operative word there.

Extending that thought further, these nutcases tend to choose locations where return fire is highly unlikely. Tells me that these people are insane, but they are not stupid. Even the guy in Norway, where guns are highly restricted, chose a children's camp where resistance would be least likely.

I apologize in advance for my very random thoughts.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post
    I don't know much about guns. I don't own one. I don't shoot. I don't hunt. So, I listen carefully to what you fellas have to say because most of you DO know about guns. Here are some of the things I have learned, and maybe what the general public needs to know:

I had did not know what the term "semi-automatic" could mean any weapon that could fire more than one shot without re-loading; thus, making a revolver such a weapon.

The term "AR-15" sounds very intimidating ... to the unlearned ear, it sounds a lot like AK-47; and the difference is a HUGE one.

IF ...
    ... all law-abiding citizens registered all their guns ... it sure would be easier to find them if some law were made to confiscate them. This seems like a far-fetched proability, yet it has happened before historically. We already have an inkling that our lawmakers think they are smarter and know better how to protect the "great unwashed masses", so even in our country we are getting closer to a "big brother" mentality.

... nobody in their right mind would put guns (or even sharp objects!) in the hands of the mentally ill; alcoholic; or someone having previously demonstrated violent behaviors (domestic violence, for example). Background checks are reasonable. If they take a week, the law-abiding citizen will wait. Even a couple of weeks would be reasonable. If they take 6 months, who is not doing their job?

... criminals have never, and will never, follow the gun laws.

... the first right listed in our human rights: "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness". To deprive anyone of the right to defend their own life seems to deny the most basic right. If a thug accosts someone on the street with a knife or brute force that could endanger the victim's life, why shouldn't that victim be able to defend themselves? The weak and defenseless are often chosen over those who appear capable of defending an assault, even when guns are not involved. A 110# woman with a small gun gets a great equalizer if attacked by a 190# man with knife. Just talking about levelling the playing field for the weaker victims ... "giving everyone a fair shot", as our POTUS would say (pun intended!)

... it has been proven, over and over again, that even the most restrictive gun laws do not prevent crimes using guns. I have no doubt that this nutcase in Newtown would have found some way to vent his violence. He was a bright guy, so it might have taken him a little while longer, but he would have vented his violence on another day.

... I think there is some merit in having a teacher (or more than one), who is willing, to carry a weapon or to have access to a weapon stored in a safe place in the school (a vault or safe; which could even be in that teacher's classroom). I don't think you need to arm every teacher in the school. Put a safe in every classroom, let the perp wonder which one has a gun in it.

It occurs to me that these nutcases choose schools that are defenseless ... how often do schools in inner cities have an incident like this (wonder if there is a study for that?) Such a perp wouldn't be afraid of the teachers taking him down; he'd have to worry more about some of the students doing it! Of course, a lot of those inner city schools already have armed guards. I think "armed" is the operative word there.

Extending that thought further, these nutcases tend to choose locations where return fire is highly unlikely. Tells me that these people are insane, but they are not stupid. Even the guy in Norway, where guns are highly restricted, chose a children's camp where resistance would be least likely.

I apologize in advance for my very random thoughts.
    Your thoughts are anything but random!!

Does anyone find the dichotomy interesting that Obama sells and gives guns to Mexican drug cartels and Syrian Islamists but wants to take them away from YOU!!!
    Stan b & Elvis

Well Mr Clinchy.

It looks like you get it!!

I think you should take advantage of your second ammendment right,, and explore the world of resposible gun ownership.

Its a wonderful hobby,, ties in nicely with your dogs,, and there ARE guns that are truly works of art and craftsmanship.
    Those are the jewels that anyone should be proud to own..

The Irresposible,,uneducated, and agendites,, are the ones we need to deal with...

Complacency will destroy those efforts..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    MnGundog your argument about Romney Vs Obama is just old news.
    You guys own this now. Its YOUR guy in there driving the agenda.
    Its Your senate that will support him.

Quit the banter about Romney being just as bad. YOUR guy is out to take YOUR gun away...

Gooser
    Gooser, ONE MONTH AGO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY RAN AN ANTI-GUN CANDIDATE, sorry that is not old news. I was one of the few vocal people about that fact, yet here we are now, I hope that the people on this board remember that next election. I have always been a conservative and guns rights have always been big in my political views maybe someday they will play a larger part in the Republican party. In my opinion the Republican party (and NRA) embracing a anti-gun guy is bigger news now than its ever been, not old news. Sorry, if that fact gets to some of the so so "conservatives" on this board. As far as gun control I feel as you do about all of it, I was a police officer at the time of the last one, when I purchased a new handgun I had to spend $68 a clip (x4) to get issued "law enforcement issue" clips, keeping in mind there are already around a million +10 clips available that had already been legally issued. We are on the same side in this fight, Obama was never my guy, during the election the Republican party abandoned people like us, lets hope they step up to the plate now.

Quote Originally Posted by mngundog View Post
    Gooser, ONE MONTH AGO THE REPUBLICAN PARTY RAN AN ANTI-GUN CANDIDATE, sorry that is not old news. I was one of the few vocal people about that fact, yet here we are now, I hope that the people on this board remember that next election. I have always been a conservative and guns rights have always been big in my political views maybe someday they will play a larger part in the Republican party. In my opinion the Republican party (and NRA) embracing a anti-gun guy is bigger news now than its ever been, not old news. Sorry, if that fact gets to some of the so so "conservatives" on this board. As far as gun control I feel as you do about all of it, I was a police officer at the time of the last one, when I purchased a new handgun I had to spend $68 a clip (x4) to get issued "law enforcement issue" clips, keeping in mind there are already around a million +10 clips available that had already been legally issued. We are on the same side in this fight, Obama was never my guy, during the election the Republican party abandoned people like us, lets hope they step up to the plate now.
    IF....and I say IF Romney would have been elected and advocated what Obama is trying to do, I would be on him like I am Obama.

But alas, he is NOT, so it's hypotheticasl and doesn't exist.

BTW---though not a secularist, Romney is certainly a Harvard progressive.
    Stan b & Elvis