RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Boykin pro wanted in Alabama

7K views 27 replies 15 participants last post by  robco 
#1 ·
Hey guys new to the sight here and also a new Boykin owner. Just picked up my 7 week old female pup. Ive owned and hunted labs all my life, but never a had a Boykin. I realize I have a bit of time to work with her before hand on the basics but I wanted to locate a Pro trainer in Alabama or close by and prepare her for his training.
Thanks for the advise
CB

#3 ·
If there was a pro that specialized in Boykin's he would be broke just because there are not many of them in Alabama.

You might email Kim Smith. He is with the Music City HRC Club and knows a bunch about them. He may be able to steer you to a great trainer. He posts on this site and is located in Nashville. TN. I hunted pheasants with one a few years ago and she was tremendous.

So if you get a Bandana with a Golden, what accessories come with a Boykin?:D

#7 · (Edited)
Where did you get this info? I believe they get some boykins in occasionally but I don't even think they've ever ran the grand. Much less titled a dog. Not meant to be a knock on his kennel because it's above facility but the information is misleading.

#6 ·
I wuz gonna say ship him/her off to TX and Angie, she will spoil da heck out of the poor pup. Seems to be plenty of Boykins going around lately.

#12 ·
I ok we can expand my area. I wouldn't want any trainers in Alabama to go broke! I would be willing to drive out of state to deliever....within reason. Also A finished gun dog is really all im looking for. If she is can compete in hunt tests i would love to get into that as well but havnt done alot of that in the past. Have owned a Master Hunter lab(wish i still had him). Hunted with a Boykin this year down in LA and she was a great little dog with a huge heart.

#21 ·
Stephen Durrence would be my choice. Also, contact Butch Herb, president of Mid-South Boykin Spaniel Retriever Club in Alabama. Butch has trained two excellent Boykins and is running both in the Iowa Grand. Butch also trains with Stephen on a weekly basis.

#22 ·
Butch was the person who turned me on to Adam. I have texted Butch and talked with him a few times. He has been to a training day that Adam had my dog at. He let me know that I would be very pleased with the job Adam has done. Other than video clips, I haven't even seen her yet but will be getting her back after the Mid South Boykin HRC in Nov.

#28 ·
Joel Porter at crown creek kennels in Cherryville NC is a great Boykin trainer. Joel has Trained 2 of the 6 MH boykins in the country, and he has the only 2 boykins entered in the master nationals. Both are BSS champions and both got there by going 6 for 7 in masters. He is in Kansas training for the nationals right now but will return calls after training. He is a great guy that helps clients a great deal in addition to the job he does with the little brown dogs. 704-692-3770

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.