RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Cold Tail Question

4K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  TimFenstermacher 
#1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to treat cold tail other than rest? I've read that applying warm compresses to the base of the tail may help. Also when recovery occurs is it all at once or gradual?

#3 · (Edited)
To summarize. Some do nothing, some give antibotics, some give just pain meds (anti inflamatory). My experience is that it is a gradual recovery but doesn't take very long.

#10 ·
Howard, yes, he had it pretty bad. Actually, I wasn't training at the time, I was working. I'm a forester and my dog regularly goes with me in the field carrying my tree marking paint in a backpack. It is not uncommon for us to cover over 5 miles in a day probably more for the dog. I never take him two days in a row. I underestimated the cold, wet, weather and the rugged topography on the day he got it. I've researched the old posts on here and other places regarding the subject and from some of the technical information, I understand that it can take up to two weeks for a complete recovery. I have had him out daily, a little more each day since he got it, just for some exercise but no training or work. He is getting close to normal now but I probably am not going to run him for another week or so. I feel like such an idiot for not paying more attention to the conditions and the risks! Hopefully he fogives me! Sometimes Chessies hold a grudge, and I can't blame him if he does!!!!!

#7 ·
He must have had it pretty badly for it to last a week. Usually, I've seen it go away after the 4th day, only once longer than that.

Only seen it 5 times, I think, in 22 years of having and training labs.

#11 ·
Howard, yes he had it pretty bad. I wasn't training at the time but rather working. I'm a forester and often take him with me to carry my tree marking paint in his backpack. It is not uncommon for us to cover 5 miles in a day, probably more for the dog. I never take him two days in a row. I completely underestimated the wet, cold weather and the rugged topography the day he got it. I've read the previous threads here and other places regarding the subject and from some of the technical information I understand that it may take up to two weeks for a complete recovery, especially if no drugs are given. He is almost back to normal but I am not planning on running him for another week. I feel like such and idiot for not taking into account the conditions and the risk involved on that particular day. He turned 2yo. today and this is the first incident. I hope he forgives me! Chessies sometimes carry a grudge and I wouldn't blame him if he did!!!

#9 ·
have any of you experienced a slight kink in the tail. similar to cold tail but not experiencing pain. Are you guys experiencing this from working with your dogs outside in the recent cold snap.

my guy had cold tail once from cold pond and it took a few days for him

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.