The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy pickup ?

Default Puppy pickup ?

I'm picking up my new yellow male this weekend and I'm looking for opinions on flying a 7 week old puppy in a loud single engine plane just an hour or two after I pick him up. It's a 10 hour drive or a few hour flight. Is this a good or bad idea? Thanks for any suggestions.

I did the same thing years ago. The pup eventually washed out. I don't know if the loud plane ride was a factor or not but I don't plan to do it again. BTW the plane we flew was a VERY loud homebuilt that you need ear protection to fly in.

Thanks Bill! This plane is a little Cessna and without noise canceling headphones it's fairly loud. However, it doesn't seem to bother my kids. Looks like it's going to be a long drive.

I would drive. Good call on your part. Take the wife and make her drive on the return.
    DUCKDAWG'S MAC'S MAGICAL MR. OCTOBER JH -- Reggie

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Farrar View Post
    I would drive. Good call on your part. Take the wife and make her drive on the return.
    I like your thinking, but I'd reverse the order.

You'll get a lot more sleep while she drives there, then she'll get while you drive back.
    Considering the fact that God limited the intelligence of man, it seems unfair that he did not also limit his stupidity". -Unknown

I like long excursions knowing that there is a pot of gold so to speak at the end.
    Then taking my time going back and stopping at various rest areas to get to know the pup on the way….
    I did this with my present pup and stop many times going back home. Very enjoyable experiences and I forgot about time at times.
    Wouldn’t trade that for anything.

FLY!!!!! Did this several years back in a 150 from Kentucky to DYA (For you pilots) and had no issues whatsoever. I had a rider who held the pup and they may have helped. The pup will only stress if the engine backfires. This could cause it to be gunshy

Parvo can be deadly so be mindful of that when stopping for potty breaks. I would avoid any areas used frequently by other dogs (rest areas, parks etc). The drive, however is a perfect bonding opportunity for you and the new pup. Just be diligent.

I'll be making a long drive to Double T to pick up my Kiffin X Tara female.... Can't wait!

Who is piloting, if it is you then drive. You sure can get a lot of love in the passenger seat.

I have 1600 hours plus in "small airplanes" with puppies and dogs and babies in attendance sometimes. They all slept most of the way I think because of the vibrations. Careful on altitude changes to avoid rapid pressure differences and ear pains.
    John Cottenham aka jacduck

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."