The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hold question

Default hold question

I have a dog who I completed hold with. He holds it in his mouth I can tap it and all that he won't let it go. For some reason when we train and he returns the bumper he will not come into heel and hold it he will spit it out nxt to me. Yes we have done walking hold and OB with hold. Any ideas on where I missed or any ideas on how you would correct it.
    Bay's Smokin' Aces Royal Flush "Ace"
    Bay's homemade sweet as honey "Honey"

I'm sure you've tried this, but I would remind my dog as she got close to me with the bumper to "hold".

I'm working Lardy and am FF right now (will start walking fetch as soon as it warms up). In the video, he cups (sic?) the dog under the chin for dropping and puts the bumper back in the dog's mouth. Eventually, you'll get to a point where you can go to the ear pinch if the dog drops the bumper before you command him to. Based on my understanding of Lardy, hold doesn't have to be perfect, as ear pinch will iron out a lot of that. When I was teaching hold and the dog didn't deliver to hand, I didn't make a huge deal out of it, just cup and put the bumper back in her mouth.
    Lucas Nogelmeier
    Don't train to get it right, train to never get it wrong

After you cupped and put it back in how long did you wait before giving your release command

Quote Originally Posted by COgoosehunter24 View Post
    After you cupped and put it back in how long did you wait before giving your release command
    Never very long, maybe three to seven seconds. Kind of a "no, hold, *cup*, *insert bumper in mouth*, hold, *make sure she had a solid hold*, good, *sometimes a tap or tug to make sure she had it*, drop." Just as long as I felt she understood what I meant by "hold" and that she was supposed to hold until I tell her to drop.
    Lucas Nogelmeier
    Don't train to get it right, train to never get it wrong

Move on to pressure (ear pinch), it will help him with the hold.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

I have a dog who I completed hold with. He holds it in his mouth I can tap it and all that he won't let it go. For some reason when we train and he returns the bumper he will not come into heel and hold it he will spit it out nxt to me. Yes we have done walking hold and OB with hold. Any ideas on where I missed or any ideas on how you would correct it.
    Yep, you are just not done. Start over, keep following your program and up your standards of compliance. In other words, do not advance to the second step of the program process until you have met your standard of compliance with step 1. Except nothing but exact compliance to your standard, what ever that maybe before you move to step 2.
    With so little to go off of with your post my guess is you rushed through the program to fast, skipping many steps, or more likely glossing over many steps along the way. Back up and start over. Maybe it's your first attempt at training hold and on to FF?

Good Luck.
    Don and Crew
    Forgive me if I seem arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaars.

Quote Originally Posted by nogie1717 View Post
    Never very long, maybe three to seven seconds. Kind of a "no, hold, *cup*, *insert bumper in mouth*, hold, *make sure she had a solid hold*, good, *sometimes a tap or tug to make sure she had it*, drop." Just as long as I felt she understood what I meant by "hold" and that she was supposed to hold until I tell her to drop.
    I teach hold and they don't have it down until I can get them to hold for 30 minutes....that's is on the clock......30 minutes. Hold is "Hold" no matter what. I'd say you have a ways to go.
    Don and crew
    Forgive me if I seem arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaars.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    I teach hold and they don't have it down until I can get them to hold for 30 minutes....that's is on the clock......30 minutes. Hold is "Hold" no matter what. I'd say you have a ways to go.
    Don and crew
    Yep, what Don said. I have also taken a bumper and the dog to lowes and walk around in the store with bumper in mouth. I have even gone as far as taking a bumper to vet appointments. Keeps em from sniffing the floor and helps when the vet wants to look in their mouth. Like Don said, hold means hold no matter what, and I would add or where.
    Southland Dixe's Hunter Boy, JH (Hunter)
    Triple J's Hotta Habanera Mo Betta, (Mo)
    Freezeland's Carbon Squared, (CC)

Quote Originally Posted by Don Lietzau View Post
    Yep, you are just not done. Start over, keep following your program and up your standards of compliance. In other words, do not advance to the second step of the program process until you have met your standard of compliance with step 1. Except nothing but exact compliance to your standard, what ever that maybe before you move to step 2.
    With so little to go off of with your post my guess is you rushed through the program to fast, skipping many steps, or more likely glossing over many steps along the way. Back up and start over. Maybe it's your first attempt at training hold and on to FF?

Good Luck.
    Don and Crew
    This is my first FF but he held everything while string after I did the glove one mouth. I then moved to OB with hold and he could do a 10 min OB session while holding the bumper with only about 5 breaks during it. Was I wrong to throw marks without doing the FF part after hold? I've contemplated going back to OB with hold to see if he'll spit it out on the sit heres

This is my first FF but he held everything while string after I did the glove one mouth. I then moved to OB with hold and he could do a 10 min OB session while holding the bumper with only about 5 breaks during it. Was I wrong to throw marks without doing the FF part after hold? I've contemplated going back to OB with hold to see if he'll spit it out on the sit heres
    In my opinion, you were not wrong for throwing marks after training "hold". But once you saw this reaction you were asking for trouble by continuing to throw marks until you were well along with the 'fetch' portion of FF, so you had two things going for you. One would be an enhanced desire in the dog to keep in his mouth what he was holding, and two; a tool to correct the drop. Finish the process.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile