The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Binoculars

Red face Binoculars

Any suggestions on preferred binoculars to use at field trials? Brands, power etc. Hopefully not too expensive! I am just beginning Qual.

Christy Thomas
    Skyefiregoldenretrievers.com
    CH OTCH Morgen's Lil'Bit of Skyefire UDX2 OM3 TD MH NA NAJ WC VCX OBHF DDHF
    OTCH Merichase Skye's Legacy UDX3 VCX2 SH AJ WCX OBHF CCA
    OTCH Morninglo Fire in the Sky UDX4 MH NA NAJ WCX VCX OS '97-'10

The Bone Collection series. Use it for training and hunting. They are a good quality for the price. My penny worth.

I really like the Leupold Yosemite 6x30. At around $90.00 it's waterproof, very light, lays flat against the chest, and though not as wide angle as the ubiquitous Bushnell, definitely wide enough for water blind work. The "autofocus" feature on the Bushnell is not really autofocus, it's just that with low power you have such a deep depth of focus everything is in focus. The 6x30 is low enough that you just focus them for your eyes and you're good from 40 yards to infinity.

I followed John's recommendation last te this topic came up. Got rid of the Bushnells and Nikons. Love my Yosemites
    "When a man is proud of his dog and shows it, I like him. When his dog is proud of him and shows it, I deeply respect him.” — Gene Hill

I also took John's advice and bought the Yosemites. They are just great!

I don't know what not very expensive is, but...
    Vanguard Endeavor ED 8545 8.5 x 45 - you can get them for under $300. I did a lot of research on this topic about a year ago, and considered binoculars up to $800 in my comparisons. If you sort them by price and features, this was the point where there was a big drop off below these and only marginal improvements for the ones more expensive. I was amazed when I first looked through them how clear they are and the lack of eye strain. Only complaint is the objective lens covers easily come off and can get lost, although they will send you new ones if that happens. Especially if your binoculars are multi-use - hunting, bird watching, dog work, etc. I don't know that I had the Yosemites in my comparison though.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    Donway's Dixieland Delight - Dixie 2/24/1997 - 2001
    Rebel's Ruffian Hank - Hank - 6/05/2001 - 2/3/2011 - Profile Picture
    Blue Ridge Pot O Gold - Séamus - 1/22/2011 -
    Old North State Queen Anne's Revenge- Annie- 3/21/2013-

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Stoune View Post
    I also took John's advice and bought the Yosemites. They are just great!
    I also bought a pair of the Yosemites based on John's recommendation. For the price, they can't be beat. I found them for $72 at B&H.

Buck

Vortex makes outstanding optics for the price at all budgets.

I don't know what you mean by "not too expensive," but if you want a great pair of binocs with extraordinary clarity at a price point that is well below new replacement cost, I'd get some Swarovski SLC 10x42s. These are the versions that came out before what they offer new now, so you can usualy find them at a cost of about half what their current models go for.
    There's a huge difference in optiics out there and this is often a purchase where you really do get what you pay for. These may be better than you need, but as another suggestion to consider, you might want to check these out:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWAROVSKI-BI...item43cf1cec0e
    SpringHill's Prince Charles MH QAA

With Optics you absolutely get what you pay for when it comes to quality. Price is driven by the lens tolerance, design, and coatings. The more you spend the better they will be, in general, I would avoid anything branded by a celebrity or such because you are just paying more for the name.

The real question is how much quality do you really NEED. Swarovski might makes sense for glassing canyons all day at 1/2 mile plus, but would be way overkill for spectating at a trial. Going to a Cabela's or Sportsmen's Warehouse and trying them all is really the best way to compare and find out what good enough is for you. Everyone's eyes are a little different and 2 pairs at the same price point may be very different for different people. The Yosemite sounds like a great deal. The thing about Nikon, Leopold, Vortex, or other long time manufacturers, they have the design expertise to get the best quality out of cheaper materials.

Skywatcher Salem Orchard Hard "Cider"