RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Serious AR question

14K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  Pete 
#1 ·
A really serious question here before you flame I do own and use guns almost daily 7 months a year. I might even carry the other 5.

Question why do you want an AR?

Don't give me flip answers and don't incriminate yourself NSA is watching beyond a doubt.

If I were target shooting I like the most accurate I can get. MOA works just fine for me.

If I am sport hunting I want a 1 shot kill.

I am seriously trying to find out the motivation.

#2 ·
I don't have one. I shoot for the reasons you shoot. The target shooters at the gun range complain about the AR shooters. Whether they do it or not they get blamed for shooting their targets, then shooting the target holders beyond use.

I relayed this to an "old" shooter who actively shoots the shotgun games and sells big quantities of reloading components to shotgun shooters. I never thought he would be "an AR shooter." I mentioned the complaints and he said, "Yeah, but if you went with me and shot one you'd come away with a smile on your face!"

So I guess the short answer is it puts a smile on their face.

#3 ·
I am not looking for one, but I used to have several when I was shooting in high power rifle competitions. With an AR you could compete both in the service and the match rifle classes. In addition, very few things are more fun to plink with or shoot groundhogs from long distances.

#4 ·
Down here (SW Georgia) wild hogs are a terrible problem and cause a great deal of economic damage to crops. Quite a few people in this area own ARs to try to cut down on hog numbers. Since hogs tend to roam in herds a weapon that can fire a number of rounds quickly is needed.

#5 ·
Because someone says you can't or wants to prevent you from having. May also be a nice profit in it someday. Kind of like all these corporations moving their dividend dates to this year to avoid next years tax rates. Being told I cant or taking more of my money are great motivators to go on the offensive!

#6 ·
When it comes to home defense, there is not a better weapon! Especially, if you have to deal with multiple intruders. I was living in Los Angeles during the Rodney King riots. I remember seeing the merchants on their roofs standing there with their AR's. It was enough to discourge the looters from sacking their stores and harming them and their families. None of us know what the future has in store for us and some of us would rather go down fighting than slaughtered like sheep. If we ever give up the Right to defend ourselves, we will have truely lost our Freedom and will be nothing more than mere slaves to the government. History has many examples of governments disarming their citizens and the results were not pretty.

#8 · (Edited)
This is actually my choice for accuracy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M40_rifle

The AR's May wee ll be accurate enough,, but the pure fact they are mostly shot by folks who purchase factory ammo,, with brass factory sized small,, so the rounds will cycle throughthe action quickly with NO malfunctions..
This makes for fast shooting,, and acurATE enough grouping..

You can take a Remintong 700 action in what ever caliber you like,, and make a few enhancements to bolt face ,,lugs ect,, and have the same base as the Military sniper rifle I posted above.

You then, Handload for that specific rifle. You develope a load that is extreamly accurate. You do this by fire forming your brass cases,, and then only neck sizing the case that has had its neck turned and been perfectly formed or sized for your specific rifle..

You top that with premium specific bullets for your intended use,,, then customise the powder charge and bullet seating depth so the bullet doesnt have to "Jump" to get to the rifeling,,, and you will end up with a rifle that will consistently touch holes at over 100 yrds..
Can EASILY hit smaller targets at 500 meters..

This is the precision rifle i want..

My Home protection under close quarters,, I prefere a 3" 12 guage shotgun loaded with 41 pellets of #4 buck (.24 cailber)

Both these guns can be had inexpensivly,,, Easily obtained,, and serve you well... Neither one is considered an assult rifle,,

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Why? Because they're phenomenal home defense weapons. A lot of people like shotguns, but the shot can penetrate dry wall fairly well due to the shots total mass. The 5.56/.223 is notoriously poor at penetrating drywall, thus saf for others in the home.

They're fun to shoot. Personally, I greatly enjoy bolt action rifles but I did have a top tier AR and it was great. Great for accepting optics and lights (which are great for home defense).

1 shot kill is all about bullet placement... Unless you're using a cannon. You can drop an animal with a .22 lr if you place it correctly. Plus there have been great improvements in bullet development.

There are several reason to own one and 0 valid reason not to. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but saying that other shouldn't have something because you don't "get it" is childish.

I had a sport bike that went over 200 mph... I never did or wanted to, but it could have.

#11 · (Edited)
When I'm just going to wander around my farm, particularly when it's not hunting season, I usually carry one for varmint hunting. This could be hogs, raccoons, bobcats, opossums, armadillos, coyotes, or some snakes. The guns are light weight, accurate, low recoil, shoot a small bullet, and can rapid fire as needed. They're truly ideal for my needs.
I manage for quail and most of the varmints listed above can do a lot of damage to nesting birds.

#12 ·
I belong to a gun club and shoot a lot. I do not care to own an AR and do not like to be near them on the line. Reason is I am about 3/4 deaf and even with a very good set of muffs over turned off hearing the muzzle blast bothers me. Only thing I have found worse was a .338 with a muzzle break. Accuracy wise the cheap one seem to pray and spray. The good ones have seen sub minute of angle out two hundred yards. For those that like them buy as many as you can because they might be going away soon. Franco I do not agree with you on home defense. A short barreled shotgun, extended ammo tube, red dot or laser loaded with #4 buck I think trumps an AR. Especially if you have several.

Skip Campbell

#16 · (Edited)
Don't forget the right to bear arms is a check on the government. Not much of a check when we the people are armed with bolt action rifles and pump shotguns.
Seriously????

C-mon!!!

Waco Texas
The Greatest Armies and Warriors of the WORLD have tried ...
Your Ar??? :):)

A better bet,, Would be to Remind the People who took the Oath to Obey the constitution to remember their pledge..
The "oath Keepers" have an interesting website..

States to refuse federal Laws to Oppresive legislation..
Your VOTE more powerful.

Reminders to your congress goon,, they will loose their cushy job if they dont obey the second ammendment..

Demonstrations in the streets!!!

Gooser

#21 ·
"I am more concerned about anarchy and thugs, despots of society taking adavntage of Strife, and trying to steal whats mine..."

This is why law abiding citizens should should own "defense type" of weapons. IMHO

#22 ·
"I am more concerned about anarchy and thugs, despots of society taking adavntage of Strife, and trying to steal whats mine..."

This is why law abiding citizens should should own "defense type" of weapons. IMHO
I agree whole-hartedly

#23 · (Edited)
Gooser I think you are right on, and to answer the OP post, this is all that is necessary why I want or don't want and AR. "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." the court's have repeadly upheald this view.

If the anti gun rights people want to change the 2nd ammendment to the constitution, there are means to do so. Quit beating around the bush and pass an amendment to the constitution if you think you can. If not, shut up about it.

#24 ·
And I also feel.. that Our representatives that dont follow the oath they have taken,, should be Impeached..

Deliberatly Circumventing the second ammendment of the constitution,, In My opinion,, is an Impeachable offence.

I mean The fact that we as a society considered impeachment for our president having sex,, then Lying under OATH...... wellll......

Gooser

#25 ·
I agree 100%. I'ts not rocket science either. I don't understand why many others don't get this.

#27 ·
I have one of those evil black guns and a number of others most common Joe's don't have. Mine is a NFA controlled item's because of a shot barrel, i.e. like a 7.5" barrel. I also have a suppressors for it, and a combo laser sight and tactical flashlight installed in the foregrip. It is a home defense gun. I also have a full auto pistol submachine gun (MAC-10/45) registered with the ATF under title II of the NFA. Why, becuase the second ammendment say's I can. For those of you who do not know, Civilians can, and do own machine guns legally provided they were built prior to May 86 when Regan signed the Gun Control Act which banned Machine Gun's manufactured after that date except for LEO's and the Military. Pre ban MG's (those made prior May 86) such as mine are quite valuable today and are still transferable. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

#28 ·
I dont own one and dont feel the need to own one. It's just a rifle BFD. I see nothing special in one. Home defense? Give me a 12 ga any day. Just looking at the size of the hole in the end of the barrel is enough to scare me. A fully automatic machine gun, now that would be fun but they have already banned them and I want one.
Problem with the government is they always look in the wrong place to try and fix things. I dont get it. Are they stupid? Blame a stupid non functioning piece of steel because some lunitic crazy sob kills someone. Reform health care by making people that can afford it pay more so those same crazy lunitic sob's that cant or wont go out and work can have it. Then there is the economy. Lets fix that by penalizing the guy that has gone out and made someting of himself and been successful by raising his taxes again so those same worthless sob's dont have to go out and earn their keep.
My dad never earned more than $800 a month in his life, owned a house new cars raised 4 kids and we never were hurting for anything. We always had food on the table new bikes to ride and toys to play with. But now compared to then everything cost 100 times more. Why? Go to the ER and they put you in a bed for one night just for observation, I hate to think what that would cost you to sleep in their bed for the night. Probably a couple grand. Oh wait they gave you 2 asprins that will be another $100.
The way I see it the whole problem with everything is people and the abuse of everything we can get our hands on. Again they look everywhere but where the problem is to try and fix things, No wonder nothing gets done.

#30 · (Edited)
I own one. I shoot it every once in a while. It is fun to shoot. It IS NOT MY CHOICE FOR HOME DEFENSE. I have a Mossberg M590A1 12 ga. for home defense.

Lonster

#32 ·
Why do the police seem to think they need them?

Really ? Dont you remember a little incident at a bank in Los Angeles where the police were outgunned by a couple of scumbags in body armor with full auto assault rifles. The firepower the people you pay to protect your citizens has to at least be equal to what the scum they are protecting you from has access to.

#38 ·
John

I agree with you,, But I wouldnt want to stroll in front of a Judge with that attitude..

If your AR15 is a center fire semi automatic rifle,,, has a large capacity magazine (10, 20 rounds which ever it will be) pistol grip, and telescoping stock,,,
I believe it is called an assault rifle... You can call it weapon if you like.... ............. Define "Is"
I think a federal Judge would claim Semantics.

Fienstein is prepared to tighten up the past ban to include manufacture specific names (bushmaster) and require only One cosmetic option, to the base definition.
Gooser

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.