The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Serious AR question

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shaver View Post
    I dont own one and dont feel the need to own one. It's just a rifle BFD. I see nothing special in one. Home defense? Give me a 12 ga any day. Just looking at the size of the hole in the end of the barrel is enough to scare me. A fully automatic machine gun, now that would be fun but they have already banned them and I want one.
    Problem with the government is they always look in the wrong place to try and fix things. I dont get it. Are they stupid? Blame a stupid non functioning piece of steel because some lunitic crazy sob kills someone.

First, the criteria for someone owning one should not be need. This is the question i hear all the time "But why do you NEED one of (fill in the blank)." I don't have to justify need.

As to your second point, they do look to the wrong place to fix things. Intentionally I believe. If and when this "assault weapon" ban goes through, it will do NO good. BUT, there will be a longer list of items that Americans can no longer own. Then there WILL be another tragedy. And it will start all over again. The cry for more "common sense" gun laws. The process repeats over and over again until the 2nd amendment no longer exists. They don't want to solve the problem. They want to disarm the people. One tragedy at a time. Incrementalism as Road Kill calls it.

Why do the police seem to think they need them?

Really ? Dont you remember a little incident at a bank in Los Angeles where the police were outgunned by a couple of scumbags in body armor with full auto assault rifles. The firepower the people you pay to protect your citizens has to at least be equal to what the scum they are protecting you from has access to.

why do we NEED anything? why do we NEED 4x4 trucks? why do we NEED 4 black labs? its not about what we NEED, if you want it and have the money for it then do what you want

Quote Originally Posted by John Daniels View Post
    Gooser, The AR-15/AR-10 is not a assault rifle. Maybe I read your post wrong and you are aware of this but it seems like alot of people ( especially the media) dont want to seperate assault rifle from assault weapon.
    Huh? What does the "AR" in "AR-15" stand for? "ArmaLite?" I thought "assault rifle?" Whatever the case........

The media doesn't know the difference between automatic and semi-auto, or they deliberately lie, take your pick.

I would suggest in the future instead of differentiating between "assault rifle" and "assault weapon" you differentiate between "auto" and "semi-auto." It makes more sense.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Quote Originally Posted by John Daniels View Post
    Gooser, The AR-15/AR-10 is not a assault rifle. Maybe I read your post wrong and you are aware of this but it seems like alot of people ( especially the media) dont want to seperate assault rifle from assault weapon.
    I might be wrong,, but most states,, and the last assault weapon ban, defined an assult weapon as any centerfire semi automatic weapon
    with a detachable magazine that holds more than 10 (I believe) rounds
    They refereed to it as an assualt weapon ban,, becasuse it includes handguns (Pistols) in the definition..

A semi-automatic centerfire rifle with a detachable magazine that hols more than 10 rounds would be labled an Assualt Rifle..

Some jurisdictions go so far as specifying the Magazins of ALL guns whether they are detacable or tubular as illegal under the ban if they can hold more than 10 rounds from the factory,, or be easily modified to do so.. This can vary sometimes City to city,, county to county, in each specific case..

My Browning .22 auto rifle is considered illegal in some jurisdiction here because the magazine (Tubular) allows the gun to have 11 rounds loaded
    into it..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I might be wrong,, but most states,, and the last assault weapon ban, defined an assult weapon as any centerfire semi automatic weapon
    with a detachable magazine that holds more than 10 (I believe) rounds
    They refereed to it as an assualt weapon ban,, becasuse it includes handguns (Pistols) in the definition..

A semi-automatic centerfire rifle with a detachable magazine that hols more than 10 rounds would be labled an Assualt Rifle..

Some jurisdictions go so far as specifying the Magazins of ALL guns whether they are detacable or tubular as illegal under the ban if they can hold more than 10 rounds from the factory,, or be easily modified to do so.. This can vary sometimes City to city,, county to county, in each specific case..

My Browning .22 auto rifle is considered illegal in some jurisdiction here because the magazine (Tubular) allows the gun to have 11 rounds loaded
    into it..

Seems like I read that the fed statute had a 20 round limit last time.
    Any doctrine that weakens personal responsibility for judgment and for action helps create the attitudes that welcome and support the totalitarian state.
    (John Dewey)

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone than in bad company.
    (George Washington)

Gig'em Aggies!! BTCO'77HOO t.u.!!

www.HughLieck.photoshelter.com

I must correct myself.

I left out the required data to define an assualt rifle..

It has to include 2 features from a list of cosmetics that were listed in the first assault weapons ban..

It included what I said above,, but it also required the gun to have 2 of the cosmetic features from the list.
    2 of the most common are a Pistol Grip,, and a telescoping stock..
    It didnt matter if the gun had the capabilty to "burst fire or not,, only definition was center fire semi-automatic.

If you get into the debate of pre-ban,, and Post ban ect. The stock COULD be required to be pinned in place,not allowing it to telescope..

supposedly,Under the newly proposed Fienstien bill,, the gun will only need to meet one of the requirements, (Pistol grip stock)
    It also I guess,, list specific manufactur.. (Bushmaster)

It is much the same as the highly restrictive California law..
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.

John

I agree with you,, But I wouldnt want to stroll in front of a Judge with that attitude..

If your AR15 is a center fire semi automatic rifle,,, has a large capacity magazine (10, 20 rounds which ever it will be) pistol grip, and telescoping stock,,,
    I believe it is called an assault rifle... You can call it weapon if you like.... ............. Define "Is"
    I think a federal Judge would claim Semantics.

Fienstein is prepared to tighten up the past ban to include manufacture specific names (bushmaster) and require only One cosmetic option, to the base definition.
    Gooser

Here is californias law..

http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pd...ms/awguide.pdf

Note table of contents specifically addresses AR rifles and thier varios configuations.(Page 55)
    They even address caliber (includes .22)

I wonder how far Mr Danials will get explaining to a California Judge that in his (mr danials) opinion his AR15 isnt an assult rifle because it doesnt have the "Burst" option.

Gooser