The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Service Message

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    So I say to those who have decided to shirk this responsibility. If a crime is committed with a gun that belongs to you, you should be able to be criminally and civilly held responsible along with the person who committed the crime .

John
    Should I also be charged if a family mbr steals some legal narcotics from my medicine cabinet and is later caught selling them on the street? Should I also be charged if my uncle who borrows my car,decides to drink and drive and gets caught? Where does it end?
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

Quote Originally Posted by ndk3819 View Post
    My dads guns sat in his closet my whole, still there now, from the time I can remember I was tought how to handle them, respect them and knew what they were capable of. Never once thought it would be a good idea to go play with it. My parents knew what I watched on tv and tought me the value of life. I'm raising my kids the same way. A locked safe with a curious kid can always be unlocked. Knowledge and respect don't go away
    I retired after 31 years in law enforcement. My duty firearms were always loaded and kept in our bedroom closet.
    We had three children all grown along with now grandchildren and great grandchildren. All were taught at a early age by their respective parents to respect firearms. At present only a daughter has any serious interest in guns and hunting.. However all without exception still support firearms safety including a grandson who is on a fast track to a law enforcement career.

I never allowed a toy firearm in our house! We monitored what our children watched on TV. I never allowed play gun fights with even makeshift toy guns. My father wasn't a hunter, but, had three firearms in our house. My brothers never thought of playing with those firearms. Had a grandfather who introduced me to hunting and gun safety. My wife grew up with hunting and guns. She said she or her siblings never thought of playing with firearms.

Now from a personal standpoint. I am not a fan of public owning of. Military like firearms, but, having said that if they are legal so be it. The bad guys have them so don't have a answer. I don't know if the framers of the Constitution
    With their flintlock arms could look that far into the future to see the technology of weapons. I do know the responsibility lies not with laws, lawbreakers will always break laws, but, with the institution of family!

Just one mans opinion.

My post should of went to Potus.
    Last edited by Criquetpas; 12-22-2012 at 01:11 PM.
    Earl Dillow

My wife and I have raised three children, two still live at home with us and we have have a 2 y.o. grandson in the house several days per week.

We own several guns. We have guns in gun cabinets, closets, drawers, under beds, etc. It has been this way since we married. My children were raised up shooting guns, taught gun safety, and taught to respect all weapons. My children were never curious about guns, guns were something that was, and still is, part of their everyday lives.

My two year-old grandson points to every gun in the house and says "Pop's gun". Like my children he will grow up around guns, he will be taught gun safety, he will shoot guns, he will own guns, etc. but most importantly he will be taught to value life and respect others.

Lonster

One hesitates to be too prescriptive; it's your country not mine.

However there appears to be at least some common threads in incidents such as those we saw last week. The first obviously is the matter of security of guns, and the second is guns getting into the hands of those with 'personality disorders". There is surely some mileage in at least examining what can be done to improve the first and mitigate the second.

I don't go all the way with John Fallons' opinions as to criminal proceedings being taken against people who have guns stolen from them, but I think his general tone is right; as responsible gun owners we should demonstrate that status in practical terms, and that IMO includes safe and proper storage. I don't hold up the laws relating to guns in UK as a shining example, God knows I've campaigned against them for long enough, but within them are some bits that to me at least make common sense. I am required by law to ensure safe storage at home and whilst travelling. It doesn't feel like a burden. I know of a case where folks parked up outside a pub leaving gun cases on display in their vehicles. The guns were pinched, and in consequence the owners were barred from gun ownership for (I think but can't be dead sure) two years.

Eug
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post
    Own all the guns of any type that you want and tend to them as you will, but.......The owner of the gun should be responsible for its care and custody.

So I say to those who have decided to shirk this responsibility. If a crime is committed with a gun that belongs to you, you should be able to be criminally and civilly held responsible along with the person who committed the crime .

And NO I don't think that this would be an infringement on your right to keep and bear arms.

john
    I completely disagree with this ,this type of mentality is part of the problem,everyone is always looking for a scapegoat instead of being responsible for their own actions." Its not the criminals fault he stole your guns it was the voices in his head" ...so now I'm responsible for some nut job. Society is week and are unwilling to take actions against these type of people. Then they would want to press charges on me if I shot the wack job in the back while in my home trying to get away with my personnel property.

If you are found mentally unstable by a jury of your piers you are sent to the mental ward instead of prison..I never understood this. If you are a danger to society you should be put to sleep,end of story no second chances to rape another child ,shoot another Innocent person while robbing them etc..then you'll start to see who really does have control of their actions.

I agree with Wayne Nutt ..there is no substitute for being a good parent.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Dawg View Post
    This

And This

I have taught my kids how to hunt & handle guns. They get to fire more shots than most adults will ever shoot in their lifetime. My theory is to take the curiosity out of the guns, & teach them that they're tools, how to take care of them, & handle them. If we need a gun, there's one available in almost every room.
    And the kids friends that come over who have not had this instruction? Sorry, they are still kids and no gun should be in easy grasp of one. If someone is trying to enter my house, I have more than enouhg time to secure my HDW if need be. Leaving guns unsecured is irresposnble and a a wonderful way to add to the AG mentality.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

When I was little, I desperately wanted a silver plastic, pearl handled Lone Ranger cap gun. Remember the old cap guns, with little rolls of paper caps/blanks? There were guns in our house, kept in my Dad's closet and we were not allowed to touch them unless we were with Dad...and we obeyed. So...finally, I got my wish....that beautiful silver cap gun and plastic holster was mine, along with strict orders that it never, ever be pointed at anyone. I could shoot at all the pretend bad guys I wanted to, as long as I never aimed at a living thing. I think it took about a week before I pointed...not fired, just pointed...in the direction of one of my sisters, and POOF! that beautiful, pearl handled cap gun disappeared, never to be seen again. Along with that, I lost my "plinking with Dad" privileges for awhile, which hurt even more than losing my cap gun.
    Funny how that respect for firearms lesson has stuck with me for the last forty five years or so. Unfortunately, most kids today have no exposure to firearms other than TV and video games, and they don't do things with their parents like we did back when. So many of life's lessons come from kids and parents actually participating in hobbies....and too many kids miss out on that today. Absentee parenting is part of the problem.

If someone breaks into my house and steals or breaks open my gun safe, I should be responsible if they kill someone using one of those guns? I don't think so. If they also steal my truck and run it into a building and kill some people, that is my fault? I don't think so.
    Last edited by Sharon Potter; 12-22-2012 at 10:19 AM.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    I completely disagree with this ,this type of mentality is part of the problem,everyone is always looking for a scapegoat instead of being responsible for their own actions." Its not the criminals fault he stole your guns it was the voices in his head" ...so now I'm responsible for some nut job. Society is week and are unwilling to take actions against these type of people. Then they would want to press charges on me if I shot the wack job in the back while in my home trying to get away with my personnel property.

If you are found mentally unstable by a jury of your piers you are sent to the mental ward instead of prison..I never understood this. If you are a danger to society you should be put to sleep,end of story no second chances to rape another child ,shoot another Innocent person while robbing them etc..then you'll start to see who really does have control of their actions.

I agree with Wayne Nutt ..there is no substitute for being a good parent.
    Not withstanding the fact that I abhor the problems within the system with regard to the swift prosecution , convection and punnishment of the perpetrators of these gun related crimes..... If some "nut job" perpetuates a crime against me or one of mine using YOUR gun , you can realistically expect to have to defend against a law suite brought by Me against YOU . You can also expect me to be camped out at the District Attorneys office, lobbying for a criminal negligence investigation.......

john
    Last edited by john fallon; 12-22-2012 at 12:05 PM.
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Blind View Post
    Should I also be charged if a family mbr steals some legal narcotics from my medicine cabinet and is later caught selling them on the street?
    If it was not the first time, YES
    Should I also be charged if my uncle who borrows my car,decides to drink and drive and gets caught? Where does it end?
    same answer as above

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

My grandparents lived alone in the country. They kept a loaded handgun hidden in every room and a loaded .22 by the front door (to shoot gophers on sight). Six grandchildren came and visited regularly. We were all taught how to use guns, and told never to touch any of these, well, except for the .22 if we saw a gopher. My grandparents hated gophers. Not once did any accidents happen. Not once did any of the guns suddenly jump up all by themselves and begin shooting people. Just lucky I guess.

I live in the suburbs. Raised my kids the way I was raised -- to hunt and use and respect firearms. But I still keep all my guns in locked safes. My kids I trust. The neighbor kids not at all.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!