RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Public Service Message

19K views 80 replies 35 participants last post by  John Robinson 
#1 ·
OK...You're a responsible sportsman and gun owner...show it. I challenge each and every one of our RTF members to get right with responsible gun ownership. If you have one firearm in your residence...purchase a combination gun safe. I know there are many of you fellow sportsman out there that own one, two, three or more guns and they are in a closet or under a bed or in a gun rack in the family room....Do the right thing, society has changed, what kids watch on tv has changed, our duty as responsible firearm owners has not changed...I ask this of each and every one of you..

This message may have been posted by another member in some shape or form but I felt compelled to challenge any of you that do not have a combination gun safe....Accept the Challenge!

Thanks,....Merry Chrismas and Happy New Year,

-Ron

#2 ·
They still steal the whole gun safes. Got my Brother in Law's safe and his Snap-On tool cabinet (heavy diesel sized stuff) in broad daylight. Broke into the house, popped the garage door and started loading goodies.

#4 ·
The guiding principles by which I raise my kids have not changed. My kids don't play video games, and they don't watch crap TV. They hunt and they understand (and have demonstrated that they understand) the dangers associated with guns. If they go crazy and want to hurt someone, a safe will not keep them from it. My opinion, ONLY. I have, however, taken steps to prevent accidents etc.

#9 ·
This

And This
Hard to defend my home and family if I have to turn on the light and unlock the safe after I am aware of an intruder in the house.
I have taught my kids how to hunt & handle guns. They get to fire more shots than most adults will ever shoot in their lifetime. My theory is to take the curiosity out of the guns, & teach them that they're tools, how to take care of them, & handle them. If we need a gun, there's one available in almost every room.

#7 ·
BINGO! That's called gun tontrol and and the last time I looked at the constitution, it is ellegal to require such nonesense.
Pass an amendment to the constitution if you want to change the way it is.

#6 ·
This is perhaps an idea worth discussing but, currently I am not financially in a position to purchase a safe, the only "kids" I have ever had all had four legs (and although I have heard of at least one person who's dog accidentally shot him, I'm not worried about my current knucklehead) so children getting hold of my guns is unlikely, all are stored separately from the ammo, and I am pretty comfortable with my current situation. There is no question that the shooting in Newtown was terrible, I am a long way from believing that it means that we need to change anything. Even though we seem to be hearing about these tragedies more frequently, they are still really rare. There could be one a week and it still wouldn't approach the number of children killed on the nation's roads. Would like to see it compared to the number of children killed by neglectful parents, medical mistakes, bee-stings, etc. I think that to a great extent this is a discussion about solutions (which won't work) for a problem that doesn't actually exist.

#8 ·
But if you have numerous weapons, you can only use one effectively at a given time....so some of them should be locked away safely in my opinion.

#11 · (Edited)
Why do you think that?

If I'm sitting on the pot and my primary carry gun is somewhere else, and an intruder breaks in my house, you are telling me I have to go to the gun safe, unlock it, and get a gun out to defend myself and my family? Surely not.

I can't see how anyone can argue the second ammendent doesn't mean exactly what is clearly says.
It gives me the RIGHT to leagally have a gun...as many as I want to have.....anywhere I want to have them.

Anything that is contrary to this is gun control and has no basis in constitutional law.

#14 ·
My dads guns sat in his closet my whole, still there now, from the time I can remember I was tought how to handle them, respect them and knew what they were capable of. Never once thought it would be a good idea to go play with it. My parents knew what I watched on tv and tought me the value of life. I'm raising my kids the same way. A locked safe with a curious kid can always be unlocked. Knowledge and respect don't go away

#22 · (Edited)
I retired after 31 years in law enforcement. My duty firearms were always loaded and kept in our bedroom closet.
We had three children all grown along with now grandchildren and great grandchildren. All were taught at a early age by their respective parents to respect firearms. At present only a daughter has any serious interest in guns and hunting.. However all without exception still support firearms safety including a grandson who is on a fast track to a law enforcement career.

I never allowed a toy firearm in our house! We monitored what our children watched on TV. I never allowed play gun fights with even makeshift toy guns. My father wasn't a hunter, but, had three firearms in our house. My brothers never thought of playing with those firearms. Had a grandfather who introduced me to hunting and gun safety. My wife grew up with hunting and guns. She said she or her siblings never thought of playing with firearms.

Now from a personal standpoint. I am not a fan of public owning of. Military like firearms, but, having said that if they are legal so be it. The bad guys have them so don't have a answer. I don't know if the framers of the Constitution
With their flintlock arms could look that far into the future to see the technology of weapons. I do know the responsibility lies not with laws, lawbreakers will always break laws, but, with the institution of family!

Just one mans opinion.

My post should of went to Potus.

#15 ·
If I had children this may be a different story.
The gun safe is full of guns, it took 2 men and a boy to get it in here and THEN it got anchored to the cement floor.
The rest of the house is full of Guns and knives, and 1 bayonet from my Grandfathers WWII Japanese Rifle.
All the Weapons not in the "safe" are considered "safe" in my opinion. Why ? Because I know where they are hidden and the intruders do not !
They are WELL hidden and pretty much in EVERY room.

Just remember folks................JUST CAUSE YOU AIN'T PARANOID, DON'T MEAN THEY AIN'T OUT TO GET YA.

#16 ·
I like the original post and I think it is good advice. We have a tall, heavy combination gun safe. Would take 4 or more men to put it into a truck to steal -- that's if it was empty. We have a Truck Vault for our truck with lockable drawers. Always a shotgun in one of the lockable drawers.

#17 · (Edited)
I raised both of my kids with long guns in racks on the wall. I kept the ammo separate in a locked footlocker and the pistols locked up. I taught my kids about guns safety and being responsible with guns. Never once did they take the guns off the wall except under supervision.

Being a responsible parent is hard work. I no longer have any kids at home as they are grown and gone raising their own families. Seldom do I have a loaded gun in the house.

#19 ·
Being a responsible parent is hard work. I no longer have any kids at home as they are grown and gone raising their own families. Seldom do I have a loaded gun in the house.
You nailed it, Mr. Nutt! Being a parent is hard and many a parent use video games and TV as a baby sitter. I am only 40 years old, but it was as I a child that I remember seeing guns in the windows of trucks, on the walls of my home, and many friends homes......What's changed? Society has changed. So because society has changed, I now have to change or otherwise limit my personal freedoms (a little off the topic, I know)....It's just plain sickening.

#18 ·
This last shooting Was a terrible tragedy and god bless the familys that have to deal with there losses. Make no mistake the anti gun people are going to run with this like its the olympic flame. Even though we all know making something illegal is not the answer I fear our right to buy certain guns are over. Drugs are illegal and we all know nobody does them are has acess to them right?

As far as the guns go education is the key. I learned at a young age what they were for and how to handle one. There was never any couriosity from me because If I wanted to shoot all that needed to be done is I asked.parents used shooting sessons to teach me the right way.

I dont think this shooting was about a kid getting into a gun safe. Your are never going to stop a Psycho from getting a gun and using it on innocents if they want to. He are she will get a gun one way are another.

#20 ·
Own all the guns of any type that you want and tend to them as you will, but.......The owner of the gun should be responsible for its care and custody.

So I say to those who have decided to shirk this responsibility. If a crime is committed with a gun that belongs to you, you should be able to be criminally and civilly held responsible along with the person who committed the crime .

And NO I don't think that this would be an infringement on your right to keep and bear arms.

john

#21 ·
So I say to those who have decided to shirk this responsibility. If a crime is committed with a gun that belongs to you, you should be able to be criminally and civilly held responsible along with the person who committed the crime .

John
Should I also be charged if a family mbr steals some legal narcotics from my medicine cabinet and is later caught selling them on the street? Should I also be charged if my uncle who borrows my car,decides to drink and drive and gets caught? Where does it end?

#23 ·
My wife and I have raised three children, two still live at home with us and we have have a 2 y.o. grandson in the house several days per week.

We own several guns. We have guns in gun cabinets, closets, drawers, under beds, etc. It has been this way since we married. My children were raised up shooting guns, taught gun safety, and taught to respect all weapons. My children were never curious about guns, guns were something that was, and still is, part of their everyday lives.

My two year-old grandson points to every gun in the house and says "Pop's gun". Like my children he will grow up around guns, he will be taught gun safety, he will shoot guns, he will own guns, etc. but most importantly he will be taught to value life and respect others.

Lonster

#24 ·
One hesitates to be too prescriptive; it's your country not mine.

However there appears to be at least some common threads in incidents such as those we saw last week. The first obviously is the matter of security of guns, and the second is guns getting into the hands of those with 'personality disorders". There is surely some mileage in at least examining what can be done to improve the first and mitigate the second.

I don't go all the way with John Fallons' opinions as to criminal proceedings being taken against people who have guns stolen from them, but I think his general tone is right; as responsible gun owners we should demonstrate that status in practical terms, and that IMO includes safe and proper storage. I don't hold up the laws relating to guns in UK as a shining example, God knows I've campaigned against them for long enough, but within them are some bits that to me at least make common sense. I am required by law to ensure safe storage at home and whilst travelling. It doesn't feel like a burden. I know of a case where folks parked up outside a pub leaving gun cases on display in their vehicles. The guns were pinched, and in consequence the owners were barred from gun ownership for (I think but can't be dead sure) two years.

Eug

#27 · (Edited)
When I was little, I desperately wanted a silver plastic, pearl handled Lone Ranger cap gun. Remember the old cap guns, with little rolls of paper caps/blanks? There were guns in our house, kept in my Dad's closet and we were not allowed to touch them unless we were with Dad...and we obeyed. So...finally, I got my wish....that beautiful silver cap gun and plastic holster was mine, along with strict orders that it never, ever be pointed at anyone. I could shoot at all the pretend bad guys I wanted to, as long as I never aimed at a living thing. I think it took about a week before I pointed...not fired, just pointed...in the direction of one of my sisters, and POOF! that beautiful, pearl handled cap gun disappeared, never to be seen again. Along with that, I lost my "plinking with Dad" privileges for awhile, which hurt even more than losing my cap gun.
Funny how that respect for firearms lesson has stuck with me for the last forty five years or so. Unfortunately, most kids today have no exposure to firearms other than TV and video games, and they don't do things with their parents like we did back when. So many of life's lessons come from kids and parents actually participating in hobbies....and too many kids miss out on that today. Absentee parenting is part of the problem.

If someone breaks into my house and steals or breaks open my gun safe, I should be responsible if they kill someone using one of those guns? I don't think so. If they also steal my truck and run it into a building and kill some people, that is my fault? I don't think so.

#30 ·
My grandparents lived alone in the country. They kept a loaded handgun hidden in every room and a loaded .22 by the front door (to shoot gophers on sight). Six grandchildren came and visited regularly. We were all taught how to use guns, and told never to touch any of these, well, except for the .22 if we saw a gopher. My grandparents hated gophers. Not once did any accidents happen. Not once did any of the guns suddenly jump up all by themselves and begin shooting people. Just lucky I guess.

I live in the suburbs. Raised my kids the way I was raised -- to hunt and use and respect firearms. But I still keep all my guns in locked safes. My kids I trust. The neighbor kids not at all.

#34 ·
How many "Locks" on my guns do criminals have to break befor I am not convicted of your neglagence charge???

The front door to my home is always locked when I am gone...
We have a sercurity company..
Front door locked Locked the majority of the time when I am at home...

I have a man eating 13 month old labrador Bitch with an attitude...

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII am neglegent????

You need to double dose your medication.

Gooser

#36 · (Edited)
How many "Locks" on my guns do criminals have to break before I am not convicted of your negligence charge???

The front door to my home is always locked when I am gone...
We have a security company..
Front door locked Locked the majority of the time when I am at home...
I have a man eating 13 month old Labrador Bitch with an attitude...

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII am negligent????

You need to double dose your medication.

Gooser
Given the highlighted section of your post ,You may be OK. But as the OP indicated,and others posting on this thread have confirmed there are those among us who's' "responsible care and custody" falls far short of an acceptable standard.

john

#37 ·
I keep two guns loaded and out where I can get to them at all times. The rest are in my gun cabinet. The guns I use for protection are worthless if they are not loaded. I just had a pickup truck with two shady charachters come down my long semi-rural driveway today in broad daylight driving very fast (I have a long driveway)... when they realized someone was home they backed out so fast they nearly went in the ditch on the other side of the road. I couldn't get out there fast enough to get a tag number... but they didn't really do anything anyway except scram. This has happened several times here. If someone makes the mistake of breaking in while I'm here they get their choice... 20 gauge with buckshot or my 38 special...

#38 ·
Nothing wrong at all with a 20 ga. for home protection. It's a great choice if you have kids or others sleeping in other rooms.

#46 ·
When I was a young lad there were guns easily accessible to anyone in my house and my grandparents house. I grew up knowing if I touched one of those guns without permission I would get my eyes beat shut. So guess what..... I didn't touch those suckers. ;)

#58 ·
That's the way it was at are house too. There where 6 kids in are family and we all grew up around guns and shooting. My dad let us know at a early age he would break your fingers if ya messed with the guns without him being there. He also told us you are allowed NO mistakes with a gun, I think this all went with family values

#52 ·
John,

What do you not understand about "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"
Shall not be infringed? You tell me what that means. Twist it however you want, the words are very simple and easy to understand.

#53 · (Edited)
I guess what I don't understand is how the words "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed "
can be taken out of the context of being used ia a sentence with "A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state" , and be given stand alone meanings to suit ones need in an argument .

Now before we go any farther with this, enlighten me on how this can logically be done. At a minimun include in your explaination the definition of and the role of this militia in the security of free states in 2012/13, take all the band width you need...........

john

#54 · (Edited)
Well maybe YOU should take some time for research on the second ammendment and its meaning,, then you would have such a squewed interpretation of it..

There are many places to go for information.. Duke University did a wonderful study on your very question. Its easily searched on the net.

Hillsdale college offers a great course on the constitution. Its Free.. Very good also.

But to answere you question in simple Gooser terms. You said
Quote:

I guess what I don't understand is how the words "the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed "
can be taken out of the context of being used ia a sentence with "A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free state" , and be given stand alone meanings to suit ones need in an argument .

The Bill of rights consider the states have individual rights. One of those rights is to have a well regulated militia. This militia consists of ordinary citizens to protect that FREE state from standing armies, or invasions. It most definatly didnt mean Police,, or Federal armies,, It meant STATE Militia, consisting of ordinary citizens.

The constitution GUARANTEES the right for Ordinary citizens to keep and bear arms, so as the state to have the ability to have that armed militia of ordinary citizenry for protection.... against standing armies,, and oppresive invasion.

The congress (government) has no authority to infringe upon that right .. (to keep and bear arms)
It is a very good form of preparedness..
Thats kinda it in a nutshell..

If you dont undersand it,, Educate yourself... Dont spew personal agenda interpretation to it..
If you dont like it,,, Follow law,, and write an ammendment to it... Or vote for people who try and circumvent it.....

As I have said earler in the thread,, many of these state gun controll laws have gone befor the supreme court,, and have been deemd unconstitutional..

The Chicago case was one of them Those people lived under oppresive gun legislation that severly inhibited that states right to form its OWN militia in case of emergency,,,, per the constitution.. It also inhibited the popluaces right to defend its own personal life and property..

I think Californias Gun laws are much the same..

Gooser

#61 · (Edited)
Well maybe YOU should take some time for research on the second ammendment and its meaning,, then you would have such a squewed interpretation of it..

There are many places to go for information.. Duke University did a wonderful study on your very question. Its easily searched on the net.

Hillsdale college offers a great course on the constitution. Its Free.. Very good also.

But to answere you question in simple Gooser terms. You said
Quote:

The Bill of rights consider the states have individual rights. One of those rights is to have a well regulated militia. This militia consists of ordinary citizens to protect that FREE state from standing armies, or invasions. It most definatly didnt mean Police,, or Federal armies,, It meant STATE Militia, consisting of ordinary citizens.

The constitution GUARANTEES the right for Ordinary citizens to keep and bear arms, so as the state to have the ability to have that armed militia of ordinary citizenry for protection.... against standing armies,, and oppresive invasion.

The congress (government) has no authority to infringe upon that right .. (to keep and bear arms)
It is a very good form of preparedness..
Thats kinda it in a nutshell..

If you dont undersand it,, Educate yourself... Dont spew personal agenda interpretation to it..
If you dont like it,,, Follow law,, and write an ammendment to it... Or vote for people who try and circumvent it.....

As I have said earler in the thread,, many of these state gun controll laws have gone befor the supreme court,, and have been deemd unconstitutional..

The Chicago case was one of them Those people lived under oppresive gun legislation that severly inhibited that states right to form its OWN militia in case of emergency,,,, per the constitution.. It also inhibited the popluaces right to defend its own personal life and property..

So you think you know the second ammendment? Not! what you have just wrote is pure and utter nonsence

I think Californias Gun laws are much the same..

Gooser
When I said "What I don't understand" I was being factitious, I know the 2ND as well as most

The constitution does not do any such thing as guarantee us the unfettered right to bear arms, according to the Supreme Court, and the lower courts as well, the amendment conferred on state militias a right to bear arms—but did not give individuals a right to own or carry a weapon.
It was not until the ...."District of Columbia v. Heller, decided in 2008, that the Supreme Court embraced the individual-rights view of the Second Amendment.........
Justice Antonin Scalia, was the author of the opinion, but it required him to craft a thoroughly political compromise.

In the eighteenth century, militias were proto-military operations, and their members had to obtain the best military hardware of the day. But Scalia could not create, in the twenty-first century, an individual right to contemporary military weapons—like tanks and Stinger missiles. In light of this, Scalia conjured a rule that said D.C. could not ban handguns because “handguns are the most popular weapon chosen by Americans for self-defense in the home, and a complete prohibition of their use is invalid.”

So the government cannot ban handguns, but it can ban other weapons—like, say, an assault rifle—or so it appears. The full meaning of the court’s Heller opinion is still up for grabs"..........
.http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/comment/2012/12/jeffrey-toobin-second-amendment.html

Until lately I thought that bumpkin persona of yours was just an act

john

#56 ·
Thanks Gooser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.