The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Service Message

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    But if you have numerous weapons, you can only use one effectively at a given time....so some of them should be locked away safely in my opinion.
    Why do you think that?

If I'm sitting on the pot and my primary carry gun is somewhere else, and an intruder breaks in my house, you are telling me I have to go to the gun safe, unlock it, and get a gun out to defend myself and my family? Surely not.

I can't see how anyone can argue the second ammendent doesn't mean exactly what is clearly says.
    It gives me the RIGHT to leagally have a gun...as many as I want to have.....anywhere I want to have them.

Anything that is contrary to this is gun control and has no basis in constitutional law.
    Last edited by Dman; 12-21-2012 at 09:55 PM.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Why do you think that?
    Effectively for most people require two hands....you might be able to use two but I personally like one weapon with two hands and the ability to flip out clips with ease....don't getme wrong, I agree some need to be out and at the ready but if you are like me with multiple weapons then some should be secured....if I have to go through all mine to defend myself then I'm already hosed!
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:

MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    Effectively for most people require two hands....you might be able to use two but I personally like one weapon with two hands and the ability to flip out clips with ease....don't getme wrong, I agree some need to be out and at the ready but if you are like me with multiple weapons then some should be secured....if I have to go through all mine to defend myself then I'm already hosed!
    I am much more effective with one gun at a time, however, I have a realativly large house and I like to have the gun or guns that I might happen own, located in several different areas and easily accesible if needed.

The Austrailians were forced last year to give up many of their guns. The ones the weren't given up, were required to be locked away, seperate from the ammo. Check out their crime rate and see what this has done to them.

A gun that is not avaliable when needed is worthless.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

My dads guns sat in his closet my whole, still there now, from the time I can remember I was tought how to handle them, respect them and knew what they were capable of. Never once thought it would be a good idea to go play with it. My parents knew what I watched on tv and tought me the value of life. I'm raising my kids the same way. A locked safe with a curious kid can always be unlocked. Knowledge and respect don't go away

If I had children this may be a different story.
    The gun safe is full of guns, it took 2 men and a boy to get it in here and THEN it got anchored to the cement floor.
    The rest of the house is full of Guns and knives, and 1 bayonet from my Grandfathers WWII Japanese Rifle.
    All the Weapons not in the "safe" are considered "safe" in my opinion. Why ? Because I know where they are hidden and the intruders do not !
    They are WELL hidden and pretty much in EVERY room.

Just remember folks................JUST CAUSE YOU AIN'T PARANOID, DON'T MEAN THEY AIN'T OUT TO GET YA.
    Discipline is no excuse for a lack of enthusiasm !!

I like the original post and I think it is good advice. We have a tall, heavy combination gun safe. Would take 4 or more men to put it into a truck to steal -- that's if it was empty. We have a Truck Vault for our truck with lockable drawers. Always a shotgun in one of the lockable drawers.

I raised both of my kids with long guns in racks on the wall. I kept the ammo separate in a locked footlocker and the pistols locked up. I taught my kids about guns safety and being responsible with guns. Never once did they take the guns off the wall except under supervision.

Being a responsible parent is hard work. I no longer have any kids at home as they are grown and gone raising their own families. Seldom do I have a loaded gun in the house.
    Last edited by Wayne Nutt; 12-22-2012 at 05:34 AM.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired

This last shooting Was a terrible tragedy and god bless the familys that have to deal with there losses. Make no mistake the anti gun people are going to run with this like its the olympic flame. Even though we all know making something illegal is not the answer I fear our right to buy certain guns are over. Drugs are illegal and we all know nobody does them are has acess to them right?

As far as the guns go education is the key. I learned at a young age what they were for and how to handle one. There was never any couriosity from me because If I wanted to shoot all that needed to be done is I asked.parents used shooting sessons to teach me the right way.

I dont think this shooting was about a kid getting into a gun safe. Your are never going to stop a Psycho from getting a gun and using it on innocents if they want to. He are she will get a gun one way are another.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Nutt View Post
    Being a responsible parent is hard work. I no longer have any kids at home as they are grown and gone raising their own families. Seldom do I have a loaded gun in the house.
    You nailed it, Mr. Nutt! Being a parent is hard and many a parent use video games and TV as a baby sitter. I am only 40 years old, but it was as I a child that I remember seeing guns in the windows of trucks, on the walls of my home, and many friends homes......What's changed? Society has changed. So because society has changed, I now have to change or otherwise limit my personal freedoms (a little off the topic, I know)....It's just plain sickening.
    Brian Caudle
    Marriner's Lady Piper of Coratank "Piper" JH

Own all the guns of any type that you want and tend to them as you will, but.......The owner of the gun should be responsible for its care and custody.

So I say to those who have decided to shirk this responsibility. If a crime is committed with a gun that belongs to you, you should be able to be criminally and civilly held responsible along with the person who committed the crime .

And NO I don't think that this would be an infringement on your right to keep and bear arms.

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"