The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Public Service Message

Quote Originally Posted by luvmylabs23139 View Post
    Let me get this straight. As far as you are concerned if someone breaks into my house (a crime) steals a gun ( a crime) I should be responsible rather than the criminal????
    NOT!!!!

How about we try this one on for size.

Someone walks through an unlocked door at your houseand takes a gun that was standing in plain sight in a gun rack and within the hour takes that gun and commits a crime, fatally wounding someone in the process.
    Do you think that you have exercised due diligence for the care and custody of a lethal weapon ?

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

Quote Originally Posted by john fallon View Post

Someone walks through an unlocked door at your houseand takes a gun that was standing in plain sight in a gun rack and within the hour takes that gun and commits a crime, fatally wounding someone in the process.
    Do you think that you have exercised due diligence for the care and custody of a lethal weapon ?

john
    YES ,because it was in MY house on private property and he did not have permission to enter so he has committed a crime and unlawfully stolen my property. Once again he has committed a crime by stealing my gun which was in my house on my property.

There is no law that I'm aware of that states how or what manner I have to keep my gun in my home. Your beating a dead horse ,no one in their right mind would convict the original gun owner if their gun was stolen from their home and used in a crime.
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn White View Post
    YES ,because it was in MY house on private property and he did not have permission to enter so he has committed a crime and unlawfully stolen my property. Once again he has committed a crime by stealing my gun which was in my house on my property.

There is no law that I'm aware of that states how or what manner I have to keep my gun in my home. Your beating a dead horse ,no one in their right mind would convict the original gun owner if their gun was stolen from their home and used in a crime.
    So, I guess you can not site an instance where by comparison you feel the gun owner loses "care and custody" of his gun and has not exercised said "due diligence" ?

john
    "i guess the old saying 'those of us that think we know everything annoy those of you that does' " --bobbyb 9/13/06

"A Good Dog is a Good Dog"

john
    Since I'm legally posted " no trespassing" the second one inch of their body was on my property before being anywhere near the house they have in fact committed a crime.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

So, I guess you can not site an instance where by comparison you feel the gun owner loses "care and custody" of his gun and has not exercised said "due diligence" ?

john
    I can think a a few but none apply in my house.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

When I was a young lad there were guns easily accessible to anyone in my house and my grandparents house. I grew up knowing if I touched one of those guns without permission I would get my eyes beat shut. So guess what..... I didn't touch those suckers.

john

Let's rephrase slightly:

Someone walks through an unlocked door in your garage (or steals it while parked in your driveway, where you left it as you're unloading groceries or dog food or something)and takes your truck and within the hour takes that truck and runs it full speed through a fence at a school, killing and injuring several children.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith

Quote Originally Posted by Sharon Potter View Post
    Let's rephrase slightly:

Someone walks through an unlocked door in your garage (or steals it while parked in your driveway, where you left it as you're unloading groceries or dog food or something)and takes your truck and within the hour takes that truck and runs it full speed through a fence at a school, killing and injuring several children.
    An assault auto?
    Bill Davis

Quote Originally Posted by huntinman View Post
    An assault auto?
    Was it a standard or automatic ?
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

Own all the guns of any type that you want and tend to them as you will, but.......The owner of the gun should be responsible for its care and custody.

So I say to those who have decided to shirk this responsibility. If a crime is committed with a gun that belongs to you, you should be able to be criminally and civilly held responsible along with the person who committed the crime .

And NO I don't think that this would be an infringement on your right to keep and bear arms.

john
    Just curious if you hunt or own any guns John. I'm "assuming" you do so I'll run with it. You've been out hunting, shooting flyers, skeet etc... and on the way home you stop to eat. Your shotgun is LOCKED in YOUR vehicle and someone steals the vehicle while eating. The next day they rob a bank and kill someone with YOUR shotgun. So YOU and the thief should be cellmates on death row?