The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Leonard D. Ferucci

Default Remembering Leonard D. Ferucci

In my letter to John McAssey, sent to Mac July 2003, July 2004, June 2007,
    nominating Len to the RHOF I said: "As a judge at the 1977 National Amateur,
    learning that after his vehicle broke down, Len 'hitch-hiked' from Seattle to the
    trial at the Richard I. Bong Recreational Area, Burlington, WI. with his qualified
    dog - FC-AFC Penny Oaks Flint in tow along with baggage. This got my attention".

Len and his dog completed 7 creditable series in that National.

This desire to "over achieve" is Len's legacy, not to short change the great dogs
    and bitches he has trained. Trained mostly by himself. Trained by unorthodox
    solitary methods that were based on knowing dogs, dedication and consistency.

The results speak for themselves. Titled dogs:
    Penny Oaks Flint, Super Khomeini, Chena River No Surprise*, Chena River Tug",
    Chena River Surprise", Chena River Yasser Leroy, Chena River Chavez**, Chena
    River Ripple, Chena River Big Mac.
    * These female labs may go down in history as some, if not the most, prolific
    producers paired to any number of sires and have recorded an impressive
    record of All-Age points - FC-AFC CHENA RIVER NO SURPRISE LF 195 AA
    POINTS; FC-AFC CHENA RIVER SURPRISE LF 66 AA POINTS; FC-AFC CHENA
    RIVER TUG LF 51 AA POINTS.
    ** CHENA RIVER CHAVEZ LM has established an outstanding record as a pre-
    potent Sire.

Roy McFall invited me to judge the Anchorage Trial after the 1977 National
    Amateur. Roy told me to arrive a couple of days early ... that Len would take
    me Salmon fishing. Fishing we went, down to Silver Salmon Creek on the Kenai
    Peninsula ... A Once in a LIFETIME EXPERIENCE!!

William D. Connor
    Last edited by canuckkiller; 12-22-2012 at 06:17 AM.

Very well done WD....a nice rememberance of Dr Ferucci
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Bill, thank you for the story. I am Len's son. I will put together an obituary for Retriever News and use some of the data you provided. Call me if you have any other ideas, 907-830-6971. Thanks so much,
    --Paul

Paul,

Sorry for your loss. I did not know your Dad, but I knew his dogs. And in our small fraternity of retriever enthusiasts, that meant a lot.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

Paul,

Thank you for registering and posting. My deepest condolences on the passing of your father. Like many others who use this resource, I did not ever have the pleasure of meeting your dad. I have, however learned of some of his innovations and training techniques and I believe I've tried my best to emulate those in my own training.

The one that comes to mind for me is what is currently referred to as "stand alones" as explained in detail in the "Training Alone" DVD by YBS and Dennis Voigt. My first exposure to this idea was before I learned of Dennis' ways. It was written on RTF by folks who knew and trained with your dad. I used to call them remote sit singles, and the biggest takeaway that I got from my interpretation of your dad's way, was the idea that you could send your dog remotely BACK to the mat to go sit and await the next mark. Brilliant!

Again, I'm sorry for your loss.

Sincerely, Chris Atkinson

Paul so sorry for your loss. Didn't you come to some trials with your Dad in his last years of trialing. If so I met you at that time. He was as others have said an excellent trainer and trialer. RIP Len.
    Field trialer. I have an FC Golden Retriever and running trials Casey and a retired FT black lab Lightning.
    Marie Annette Doherty

Here's my Dad with FC AFC Chena River Tug (L) and her Mother FC AFC CFC CNAFC Chena River No Surprise ("Chica") (R)

Len Ferucci, Tug & Chena River No Surprise.jpg

Condolences. I saw the ground shake when Chavez came roaring down the hill to the bird I had thrown ....And I was sold on a Chavez pup , and bought one as a soon as I could No regrets EVER .......God Speed Doc......
    SEMPER FI . FROM MY COLD , DEAD HANDS .

www.bashakilllabradors.com

Eastern Shore of Maryland http://www.oakdaleretrievers.com

I also never got to meet your Dad, Paul, but one of my favorite personal dogs was a Chavez pup. I have continued that bloodline in my breeding program.

Sincerest condolences to you and your family.

Vicky
    RTF Moderator

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

I have never met your Dad Paul but I have met some of his legacy in the Chavez dogs I have had the pleasure of training with. My deepest Condolences to you and your family.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com