The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you feed and why?

Default What do you feed and why?

Now that one of our most common dog food manufacturers raised their prices, I decided to look for alternatives. I found that our most popular dog foods didn't rate very well by comparison to other foods. What is your favorite and what have you compared it to?

J.O

What have you been feeding? I fed Native for a long time but I have been feeding Fromm for about a year now, starting out with the classic and am now feeding the gold. The Fromm has been very consistant the whole time I've used it. Unless they change the formula's and cause loose stools or something I will stick with the fromm. I have fed nearly every top brand out there and this works the best for my dogs. Good luck , not all feeds work with all dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by mlp View Post
    What have you been feeding? I fed Native for a long time but I have been feeding Fromm for about a year now, starting out with the classic and am now feeding the gold. The Fromm has been very consistant the whole time I've used it. Unless they change the formula's and cause loose stools or something I will stick with the fromm. I have fed nearly every top brand out there and this works the best for my dogs. Good luck , not all feeds work with all dogs.
    I've never heard of it, but looked in to it, and it seems to be better than the Eukanuba that I have been using

I am feeding Victor dog food. Both of my dogs are doing well on it.

Russell

Banned

I have my three on Dr. Tim's Pursuit. I have friends using Dr. Tim's Momentum 35/25 but it is real rocket fuel.

We buy a 50 bag pallet and delivered it comes out to be about $1lb compared to $1.50lb retail.

Really excellent proven food. In 2012, Dr. Tim's team won the Iditarod and had 3 other teams place in the top ten. Lot's of pro bird dog trainers are using it as well.

Native Level 3 because it doesnt have all the fillers many of the other name brand dogfoods use IE Corn.....
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Mine were on Native, but had 2 bags in a row that caused the most vile squirts. Now on Pro Plan, not had an issue since.

Pro plan performance for the last 10 years

Banned

I was died in the wool Pro Plan but eastern prices are like $1.30lb plus tax and for all that corn I think you can do better.

Dr. Tim's is probably the best you can buy at least from what I have used. I spoke to the guy that placed 3 of the top 5 at the Purina Invitational this year using it and he switched off PP.

With todays prices buying skids of food direct makes sense. I love food that comes in a plain 44# bag. We break it up among 6 people usually.

There is a guy I saw on TV that takes a Malamute team to the arctic circle camping for 3 months and he uses the food.

Says something.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cajuntrainer View Post
    Pro plan performance for the last 10 years
    I saw tonight Pro Plan is in 33lb bags now, new name too, for the same price. So, its about a 35% price increase by the lb.