Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you feed and why?

Banned

will have to try some Dr. Tim's

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Trammell View Post
    will have to try some Dr. Tim's
    If you are feeding just a couple dogs, Petflow has the best deal on the 44#bags. Free shipping and no tax.

If you have a kennel, he ships skids at $1lb.

Been feeding Nature's Variety Instinct but have trouble keeping weight on. Tried PP Performance and had more success with keeping weight on but don't like the corn in it. Would welcome suggestions also
    Nicole

Trained by:
    AKC CH pointed USJ HR U-GRCH Fish Dog's Playing in the Kona Surf MH CGC "Kona"
    WindyCanyon's Don't Stop Believin JH " Journey"- Heathen in training
    Folly Hill's Crazy Train @ Triple Threat " Ozzy"
    www.triplethreatretrievers.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kona's mom View Post
    Been feeding Nature's Variety Instinct but have trouble keeping weight on. Tried PP Performance and had more success with keeping weight on but don't like the corn in it. Would welcome suggestions also
    Try Dr. Tim's Pursuit, 30/20. Petflow has the best deal on 44lb breeder bags. $60 for 44lbs, no tax and free shipping.

Anyone ever used the Blue Buffalo grain free food?

I tried Blue Buffalo with my dogs for a while but it was just way to rich or something, loose stools from start to finish. It might work good for your dogs though.

I have been using blue buffalo wilderness. I haven't had a problem with lose stool but my girls could clear the room with a fart.

Banned

I know a few guys that feed The Pride Pro Series 26/20 and do nothing but rave about it.

Anyone else?

We switched from Pro Plan to Kirklands Premium (Costco) about a year and half ago. Dogs are doing great and we do hunt tests as well as show ring. Coats are shiny and thick. Kirkland's is rated 4 stars (above Pro Plan and a lot of other premium foods) by Dog Food adviser. Only about $26 a 40 lb bag

Pro Plan for my dogs.
    The company has been in business forever. They spend more on research than everyone else combined. They have their own manufacturing facilities, unlike smaller companies who job out the manufacturing and have no control over quality (and hence recalls).
    Websites like dog food advisor have their own agendas and beliefs and none of it is backed up by research. The people who post the site have no academic background in small animal nutrition.
    In my years of boarding, I've boarded some really old dogs. Dogs who were larger dogs, between 17-22 years old. Every one of them ate either Purina or Eukanuba/Iams. My own older golden will be 16 in a couple of weeks. My boy does hunt/field, agility, and is a bench CH. Obviously it works for him.
    Contrary to popular marketing madness, grains are a perfectly legitimate food for dogs, unless the specific dog has an issue with a particular grain, which is very uncommon. The most common food intolerances in dogs are chicken, beef, eggs, and dairy. Grains are pretty far down the list.
    Corn is not a filler, no matter what the marketing people would have you believe. It's a source of carbohydrates. In order for a dog food to be a particular % of protein, and not 100% protein, you need to make up the rest of the food with either carbohydrates or fats or a mixture of both.
    I suspect I have (and have read) many more canine nutrition textbooks and resources than the people who publish the dog food advisor website. Most of what they say is pure nonsense.
    That said, no two dogs are alike, and what works for one dog may not work at all for another.

Barb Gibson
    with
    CH Rosewood Little Giant UDX VER RA SH MXP MJP OFP VCX WCX CCA CGC FFX-OG
    also UCH HR UUD UJJ URO1 UHIT
    (golden retriever) born 3-10-07
    a.k.a. "Tito", "The Tito Monster"
    www.GoTeamTito.com