The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

View Poll Results: What do you hunt. Do you have multiple breeds of dog for different bird species?

Voters
281. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ducks only

8 2.85%
  • Geese only

0 0%
  • Ducks and geese

39 13.88%
  • Upland birds only

18 6.41%
  • Ducks, geese and upland birds

216 76.87%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of us are bird hunters??

Doves, pheasants, ducks, and geese in that order. I also run AKC field trials and hunting tests with the same dogs I hunt

50% upland - 45% waterfowl... 5% geese & those are just the dumb ones that fly too low... Vizsla, best dang dog I ever had! in between dogs this season. In the batters box is a Brittany & possible Boykin (my wife has mentioned several times she likes them)...

My Chessie doesn't seem to care what we are hunting.

Ducks, geeese, pheasants, quails, grouse, turkeys, hares, bears, steers, queeres, deers, elks, mooses, shoats, goats, antelope, hogs, cats, rats, if it flys it dies- if it runs it's done.

Prolly forgot one somewhere regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

It would be interesting to add another vote column...which is "don't hunt birds". I know there have been threads before about what percentage of field trial dogs also hunt. As gooser said earlier, I too have been chastised for hunting my trial dog....ie, "you will ruin that dog hunting it, especially on pheasants." Anyway, I hunt virtually everything that flies, with a dog that I also run in trials. It seems to me the dog knows the difference and still will run lazer lines on a blind in a trial after a season of quartering hunting pheasants.

Quote Originally Posted by MooseGooser View Post
    I used to hunt Pheasants,,untill folks convinced me it was gonna screw up my competitive bird dogs mind....

Now I purchase chicken at the store..

Dog still has a screwed up mind...

Still...
    Well that's a shame. Hunt your dog for God sake!!
    I hate rude behavior in a man, won't tolerate it. Captain Woodrow Call

First year duck/goose hunter here. actually didn't go out goose hunting at all so I guess just first year duck hunter.

got one hen turkey under my belt in the 3 years I've been hunting them. missed a tom this spring. ran/crawled/belly crawled about 200 yards in an open field after two toms messing with a hen. the field was real hilly and they were on the other side of the hill. belly crawled to within 30 yards only to shoot over one of the tom's. looking back, I never looked down the barrel of the gun but just but the bead on him instead. would have been the perfect ending but I screwed up!
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Ducks, geeese, pheasants, quails, grouse, turkeys, hares, bears, steers, queeres, deers, elks, mooses, shoats, goats, antelope, hogs, cats, rats, if it flys it dies- if it runs it's done.

Prolly forgot one somewhere regards

Bubba
    By that list you show that you are a very well rounded, versatile, open minded individual!

BHB
    Ahhhh, the smell of a bay dog... nothin finer!

One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American
    Indian." Henry Ford

Started with a Springer then added a lab, now I have a GSP (8), a Gordon Setter (6), & a Springer (1.5). I started hunting Pheasants & doves and a jumping potholes for ducks, then got the pointers and started Sharptail hunting, now I field hunt ducks and geese (75%) and set up on some transitions sloughs (25%), Sharptail, Doves & Pheasants. I hunted just about every weekend this year from the middle of August and will have to quit on the 6th of January when the pheasant season ends. We hunted ducks and geese in 18 degree snow filled fields this year laying out with white tyvek suits on using some blanket blinds. My 1.5 year old springer was retrieving in the slush one morning. My 16 year old loves to duck hunt, I would rather pheasant hunt. I would like to hunt some flooded timber one day though.
    Kevin

Went on my first bird hunt this year! I had a blast. I will be getting a good pair of waders and going again next year. This year happened to be a duck hunt but I would love to try hunting other birds.
    Jeannie Greenlee

Blazinlakes Legally Blonde CDX JH NAJ RA WC OD (1st Retriever)
    HRCH Smokingold Guns Up CCA WCX CD MH
    https://sites.google.com/site/smokingoldretrievers/home