RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

What do you hunt. Do you have multiple breeds of dog for different bird species?

• Ducks only

Votes: 8 2.8%
  • Geese only

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ducks and geese

Votes: 39 13.9%
  • Upland birds only

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • Ducks, geese and upland birds

Votes: 216 76.9%

How many of us are bird hunters??

7K views 29 replies 27 participants last post by  Dos Patos 
#1 ·
Just a quick hunting survey....

#2 ·
All of the above. Ya I know, it's halftime.

#5 ·
I used to hunt Pheasants,,untill folks convinced me it was gonna screw up my competitive bird dogs mind....

Now I purchase chicken at the store..

Dog still has a screwed up mind...

Still... :):)

#7 ·
I have a duck lab, Kate who does hunt tests and a Goose lab, Maude who doesn't HT yet. Does that count?

#8 ·
was avid duck hunter until a series of strokes elminated my ability to use waders/hip boots - now, after 33 yrs of teaching, i am in my 15th year of guiding pheasant hunters at a preserve in WI plus a yearly trip to SD- using two field champions, 2 QAA labradors plus other highly bred trial labradors as guide dogs - retired life behind highly skilled dogs does not get any better

#14 ·
Ducks, geeese, pheasants, quails, grouse, turkeys, hares, bears, steers, queeres, deers, elks, mooses, shoats, goats, antelope, hogs, cats, rats, if it flys it dies- if it runs it's done.

Prolly forgot one somewhere regards

Bubba

#18 ·
By that list you show that you are a very well rounded, versatile, open minded individual!

BHB

#15 ·
It would be interesting to add another vote column...which is "don't hunt birds". I know there have been threads before about what percentage of field trial dogs also hunt. As gooser said earlier, I too have been chastised for hunting my trial dog....ie, "you will ruin that dog hunting it, especially on pheasants." Anyway, I hunt virtually everything that flies, with a dog that I also run in trials. It seems to me the dog knows the difference and still will run lazer lines on a blind in a trial after a season of quartering hunting pheasants.

#17 ·
First year duck/goose hunter here. actually didn't go out goose hunting at all so I guess just first year duck hunter.

got one hen turkey under my belt in the 3 years I've been hunting them. missed a tom this spring. ran/crawled/belly crawled about 200 yards in an open field after two toms messing with a hen. the field was real hilly and they were on the other side of the hill. belly crawled to within 30 yards only to shoot over one of the tom's. looking back, I never looked down the barrel of the gun but just but the bead on him instead. would have been the perfect ending but I screwed up!

#19 ·
Started with a Springer then added a lab, now I have a GSP (8), a Gordon Setter (6), & a Springer (1.5). I started hunting Pheasants & doves and a jumping potholes for ducks, then got the pointers and started Sharptail hunting, now I field hunt ducks and geese (75%) and set up on some transitions sloughs (25%), Sharptail, Doves & Pheasants. I hunted just about every weekend this year from the middle of August and will have to quit on the 6th of January when the pheasant season ends. We hunted ducks and geese in 18 degree snow filled fields this year laying out with white tyvek suits on using some blanket blinds. My 1.5 year old springer was retrieving in the slush one morning. My 16 year old loves to duck hunt, I would rather pheasant hunt. I would like to hunt some flooded timber one day though.

#20 ·
Went on my first bird hunt this year! I had a blast. I will be getting a good pair of waders and going again next year. This year happened to be a duck hunt but I would love to try hunting other birds.

#21 ·
I duck hunt most of the time with some Canada's mixed in when i have the opportunity "Been great geese this year".. I spend a week in SD every year after the cacklers.. Usualy dove hunt 2 or 3 times a year. So my lab i broken down as follows.
Dove-3%
Pheasant-7%
Goose- 10%
Duck- 40%
Momas Boy Lap Dog- 200%

#22 ·
We go duck (and occasionally goose) hunting, though mostly around here we hunt for pheasant, dove, quail, and chukar. Oh, and turkeys! (my favorite)

#23 ·
Oh, and turkeys! (my favorite)

Ok i need a bit more on that.......... Do you use the dog to bust up the birds in order to seperate the birds? "seen it on TV"

Im so curious now... I dont know what you are doing but i want to go see this.... I will be Cal. in early 2013 so get your turkey dog ready... ;-) JK !!!!!! Cant wait to hear this though

#25 ·
Nah, no dogs for us when out turkey hunting. The OP just said that this was a quick hunting survey, right (nothing about hunting with/without dogs)? Either way, the dogs usually go on these trips with us. If heading out for turkeys, they stay at the cabin. :)

#24 ·
Where does it say ducks and upland??? Don't hunt geese...leave them all for the poor duckless Americans :)

#28 ·
Getting ready to head to the goose pit now though the Specklebellies around here tend to keep banker's hours. Best time to hunt them is between 9am and 2pm.

This season it has been very slow with ducks but great with geese!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.