The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: alert barking and barking at strangers and people at door

Default alert barking and barking at strangers and people at door

Thats a long title. Probably won't fit.
    Probably most people dont mind their dogs barking a few times at strangers and people at the door, but we live in a place where I need me dog to be friendly with ALL strangers. My 6mo male lab has started to alert bark when startled or when strangers come by. He is easily hushed and only barks a few times....not some big problem. But I want him to sit and watch not bark at all. Anyone else have tips on steering this in a different direction while he is still little and its minor? So far we are just coreccting verbally for the barking and trying to reward quiet behavior if we catch it in time before the barks. Strangly my GSPs have all been really easy going and not bothered by strangers. Also I should add this pup as all my pups go around to tow and car rides and puppy class etc. Not isolated, and the issue is nor on leash out and about but mostly at home, in yard and some off leash with my husband at "the barn"
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)

set up the situation, so you can control the outcome, \\\ bark collar [[[[ socialize ]]]]]
    contact the dog whisperer

Default barking

Quote Originally Posted by Brokengunz View Post
    set up the situation, so you can control the outcome, \\\ bark collar [[[[ socialize ]]]]]
    contact the dog whisperer
    If it is an issue of someone at the door ,just have a person come to the house and knock or ring the bell and make the corrections ..repeat repeat and repeat....Same as solving any other training or behavior issue.... OR call Cesar ( dog whisperer ) as Brokengunz recommended...Steve S

Quote Originally Posted by mountaindogs View Post
    but we live in a place where I need me dog to be friendly with ALL strangers. "
    All stangers????? I cannot think of anytime I wanted any dog I owned to be that way. I had a lab, met my husband, got married and moved into his condo with the dog. He was great with kids even tiny ones, people in general but I had no problem with him going off on someone who did not seem to belong cutting thru the back of the complex when he was on a walk. A few days later the person he went full warning bark on was arrested for breaking in to one of the units.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Cleo has a mini Snauser that weighs around 5 lbs. A late-in-life dog if you will. She has a very shrill bark and barks at every one (including me) that comes to the house. She doesn't discriminate at all, but we appreciate it as I am hard of hearing and she lets us know another person is around. The fellows that riun "Hog Dogs" stop my to ask permission to go over the property, but they always stay at the bottom of the steps. I just reread what I had written and I would like to clarify that it is the dog, not Cleo that has a shrill bark. Lillie won't let me come into Cleo's office without a bunch of barking. The Labs don't say a thing! Lillie rules the roust! Bill
    'Show up for work, do the best job you can and treat others the way you would like to be treated'

I think dogs who never bark at people at the door are born, not trained. Yes I think you can limit the barking somewhat but without making the dog paranoid I'm not sure how you would totally eliminate that behavior. It is an instinct and a spontaneous reaction. Just because he barks doesn't mean he is poorly socialized or "doesn't like" strangers. Doesn't he like them the second they walk through the door?
    Anney Doucette
    Gainesville FL
    www.k9-design.com
    & "Fisher" CH Deauxquest Hard Day's Knight UDT VER RAE MH WCX CCA VCX OS DDHF; Can. CD WC
    & "Slater" Morninglo Wing-T Your Bird Can Sing CD MH WCX CCA VC
    & Bally too! (puppy)
    www.go-fisher.com

I don't mind my lot (they are outside kennel dogs) kicking off when there are strangers about. We live in an isolated cottage in what is already a pretty quiet area, so we just look on them as the early warning system.

However you are on the right track with .....
    I want him to sit and watch not bark at all. Anyone else have tips on steering this in a different direction while he is still little and its minor? So far we are just coreccting verbally for the barking and trying to reward quiet behavior if we catch it in time before the barks.
    One classic way is to teach an incompatible behaviour on top of the one you want to get rid of. Just what that might be is up to you, but running to a place mat and bringing you a bumper could suit your circumstances; no noise, but you still get a warning someone is around. Rewarding quiet behaviour doesn't work too well in my experience, because barking is rewarding and self reinforcing. I've never done it but putting barking on cue (ie the Police dog "speak" command) and then not giving the cue has been recommended.

You might find reading "Don't shoot the dog" by Karen Pryor a useful and interesting read not just in this barking matter, but for other stuff too.

Eug

Added as an edit ... you might do what chuck (smart fellow) does in the post below, train a "Guard Dog" command. Then either give it or not as circumstances demand; best of both worlds.
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 12-27-2012 at 08:20 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

My CBR has a command. It is called Guard Dog. When he hears that, he goes nuts. When some one rings the door bell, he goes to Guard Dog Mode. I love it. Obedience pulls him away from the situation. The deep guardian barking gives anybody a second to think about what on the other side of that door. My friends understand. I really don't care what the strangers think.

The first reason I got a dog was to guard my wife. When I am out of town, she sleeps better knowing that there is a loyal CBR at the foot of the bed. Outside of the house he so friendly. Once we let someone in the house, he is so friendly, but if you don't want someone in the house, he won't let it happen.

Just my 2 cents....
    HRCH UR01 CH UNJ WHISKEY CREEK'S DUKE CHASCERI MH
    Cherokee Foothills HRC

Just because he barks doesn't mean he is poorly socialized or "doesn't like" strangers. Doesn't he like them the second they walk through the door?
    This is the way my Maggie's been doing for years! She barks at anyone that comes to the door, but as soon as they enter she's trying to be petted. It is a bit off-putting to strangers, but all our friends know the routine & just scratch her ( she doesn't let herself be ignored ). Strangest thing though; she barks at my wife when she arrives, but doesn't bark at me. It's pretty comforting when we're in the back of the house.

he happily greets everyone as soon as he actually is close to them he starts licking and wagging. Sometimes he does bark at family members if they startle him by coming into the house or yard but it's 1 or 2 barks then zoom in to greet. I think my concern is unfounded really... he is just telling me to check it out. But we will keep it in check if possible. I am not sure what replacement behaviour I would really want. Outside, I wish he would come find me.... but inside I think going to a place would be nice and waiting, but coming to me would be okay also...
    thanks for the thoughts
    Laurie Thompson
    BriarField Kennels, Dunlap TN

Miss Mabel Marshdog CGC, TDI certified, canine blood donor (Lab)
    Kerrybrooks That's A Fact Jack JH (Lab)
    Int'l Ch Snips Tennessee Jed SH, NAVHDA NA pz 1(GSP)
    CH Briarfields Autumn Connection JH, NAVHDA NA Ps 2(GSP)