The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: i thought i was going to die

Default i thought i was going to die

sat. i went out duck hunting on the mississippi river when i left it was a crisp 14 degrees i hunted about 3 hrs. and decided it was time to call it a season as ice was forming. i loaded my boat with a camp stove and other stuff and started to pick up decoys. another friend showed up and we made a plan he would pick up the decoys on the north i would get the ones south. the water was only knee deep so i pulled my boat over there and was pulling my boat along and putting in decoys the wind picked up and pushed the boat in to me knocking me down. my waders filled up my coat became saturated with water the boat was trying to run over me but i was afraid it would pin me to the bottom. i grabbed hold of the top rail of the boat and tried to pull my self out from under it but all i did was get pulled further under . i then pulled my self to the back of the boat where i could get my legs out from under and crawl in the back.when i got to the back my coat was so heavy and my wader so full i could not stand up i have a tilt switch on my motor cover i was going to hold on to my lower unit and use it to pull me up but my hands were so cold use them. i then called my friend to help it seemed to take for ever to get to me but i'm sure it wasn't. it was a long ride home in the boat. i learned a lot that day 1 i can't do the same things at 67 as i could do at 47. i was ready to pick the decoys up by my self and had i been alone i think i would have died

Can't be too careful. Glad your friend was there.

Lonster

Senior Member Sundown49 aka Otey B's Avatar

Pat glad you made it. A couple of years ago a young man (21) over here did not. Took almost a year and a half to find him. I'm 70 now and sure can relate to the not being able to do stuff now that I used to easily.
    My Dad said to me ."Son, a man just needs three things to be happy....A good dog, a good gun and a good wife.....Thank God I have all three
    Sundown's Boss of Delta Marsh JH (Louie QAA X Delta MH)
    Traveling Through The Graded Timber JH (2012 NAFC Trav X Timber MH QAA)

Sundown's Ruff And Tuff (Boss JH X Lil Bit) best pup I have ever raised
    Home of HRCH Sundown's Loaded To The Maxx (FC AFC Jamie X Dixie QAA) RIP
    www.sundownlabs.com

Glad that all worked out well for you in the end, and thank you for sharing this story with us all so that maybe someone who considered going out alone in difficult conditions might reconsider. Merry Christmas!
    Brian Skibicki, Richmond Hill Georgia (South Bryan County)

HRCH Ogeechee River's Spur of The Moment MH
    HR Ogeechee River's Midnight Rider

Gunners Up Dealer and User

I think God will have prepared everything for our perfect happiness. If it takes my dog being there [in Heaven], I believe he'll be there. - Rev. Billy Graham

Shew.....that was a close one. Not panicking is what saved your life....that and your buddy....glad you had the presence of mind to find a way to get out of the water and call for help.

Just in case someone else runs into something similar. I learned to always anchor my boat no matter the size on a short line with oversized anchor downwind of me when doing decoy things. Like you I had a similar way younger and I am glad you survived, hypothermia is a bad thing for people as well as dogs.
    John C aka jacduck

Do you really want to increase entries at the Junior Hunt Test level? Simply put a limit on entries and everyone will flock to JR and fight over how to get in and what to change to make it fair for all !!!!!

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."

Wow. Things can happen very fast. Glad your friend was there to help and things turned out well.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

pat addis

Were you wearing a wader belt? Were you using a wading stick?
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

yes i had a wader belt i don't know if it helped or not. i did have my boat anchored but i pulled it in to move to the last decoy and as i reached for it is when it happened

Quote Originally Posted by pat addis View Post
    yes i had a wader belt i don't know if it helped or not. i did have my boat anchored but i pulled it in to move to the last decoy and as i reached for it is when it happened
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Too!, Pat. You are here to celebrate both

Good you kept making the decisions that did get you into your boat...well done!

Judy
    Choctaw's Piscataquis Sebec UD MH CGC WCX ***
    UCDX HR SR Sand Dancer's XX MTB Ranger UDT, MH, WCX **
    HR SR Scarlett's Andi O'Malley CD SH OA NAJ CGC (OAJ-2 Placements) 9/16/1995-3/31/2011