RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

e collar recommendations

12K views 41 replies 30 participants last post by  tejohns3 
#1 ·
I would like to hear your e collar recommendations. I currently have a SportDog Wetlandhunter 1825. I dont dislike the collar but I have had some issues with it working properly on a regular basis. What would you recommend for waterfowl hunting & hunt test training. I am open to anything: Tri Tronics, Dogtra, etc. Would like to hear personally experiences.

#2 ·
Tritronics Flyway, Pro 100 or pro 500!

#5 ·
I now have the Pro 500. I went through the progression from Classic 70, Flyway to Pro 500. My recommendation is to say yourself some expense in the long run and go to the 500.

#10 ·
Yes Sir, I agree

#8 ·
Pro 500...All the brands are good when they're working.

The TT Pro 500 always works.

#9 ·
Everything breaks eventually. My Pro 500 transmitter is going back in for repairs for the second time in as many months. Yes, it gets used a lot on a pro truck, but it still broke. Good thing I keep a spare.
That said, I haven't found anything better. Sure hope that quality and customer service remain high with the transition that Tritronics is going through.

#12 ·
TT Pro 500 is my choice. Had the rest ,got the best. :)

#17 ·
I have a flyway and love it. I also have a pro 500 which I use and prefer for ft training with my retriever.

At the suggestion of Warner Smith at Garmin/Tri-Tronics, I now also have a classic 70. The classic 70 I use as a mile long leash that won't wrap around trees for pack dog walks numbering greater than 3 dogs. It has been absolutely perfect for instantaneous selection of the specific dog that I want to reach. The other 2 were fine when I was handling only 3 dogs. But with more than 3, the 70 has proven to be a great tool.

There is no one perfect choice for all trainers, all situations, and all dogs.

Some trainers prefer to reside in the continuous mode. For them, they may prefer the instantaneous ability to go high, med or low. For them, they flyway may not be best.

One problem that I see is that trainers can evolve or have their needs change. An example is myself, now seeking to handle 4 dogs simultaneously.

I view my transmitter selection a bit like any other tool. I can switch and adapt to match the tool with the job.

If I were seeking a one size fits all choice, I would choose to pay the extra and go with the g3 pro 500

chris

#30 ·
I have had Pro 100, 200, and 500, but use my Flyway 90% of the time. I do not use the constant button much and if I do I don't need 18 different levels of it so the Flyway fits my needs.
What is the difference between a Flyway and a 200............

john

#18 ·
My favorite is the Tritronics Pro 500. I have had mine for 5 years and never had a problem with it. Unfortunately, I recently lost the transmitter in the fields of South Dakota. Mine was the G2 model. I plan to replace it with a Pro 500 G3. In addition to the reliability and versatility, I like that it is made in the USA and I will always buy American when I can, particlarly when it is a superior product.

#19 ·
Thanks for all the responses. The issue I am having with my current collar with a full charged - I will have times with no stimulation, the too much and times the proper amount. Tested on myself, couldn't talk my son in to helping out as test dummy! I got the SportDog on a recommendation of a friend but have since read that others have had similar issues and they tend to continue to occur. I have sent mine back and customer service has been very friendly. Leaning towards a TT in the future. My training buddies have a mixed bag and they concur with what has been said here. Thanks again and Merry Christmas.

#20 ·
I would like to hear from those who have used the Tritronics G3 sport versions. I currently use a Pro 500 for training but in a hunting environment, the transmitter can be a bit of a pain. A transmitter that can be attached to a lanyard seems much more accessible. I'd be willing to give up a half mile of range for convenience, especially while hunting ducks where retrieves are generally 100 yards or less.

Bottom line, are you looking for a training collar or hunting collar?

#24 ·
Side-by-side comparison?

I've had many, including very nice TTs, but moved to (2) Dogtra 1800's about 10 yrs ago when I had trouble with a pre-G2 TT. The 1800 is very simple - a dial with clicks for 8 levels - one button for momentary - one button for continuous. (Closest TTis probably the 90.) Two dogs run on 4, one on 5, and the dial is rarely changed for a particular dog. This prevents errors. I see all the buttons and switches on the TT models as a source of error and the transmitter seems a little bulky. Some of the Dogtra models seem to have a too-small transmitter. The LCD readout of levels on the Dogtras seems almost useless to me if you're trying to change level "on the fly." (I assume there are still clicks on the TTs.)

The 1800s have been very reliable, but I have replaced the batteries (after 7 or 8 yrs). They can't last forever and the 1800 model has been discontinued, so I am curious if there are people who have used the Dogtra 3500 (or other) AND a TT model. Lots of folks on here like their TT models, a few like their Dogtras and others, but this isn't really a comparison.

Quality-wise Dogtra and TT seem comparable from what I read. I also have heard some problems with plastic guides on receivers breaking and charger troubles on some models... so comparisons of numbers of problems and customer service would be good, but single anecdotes aren't as good as a large sample. Is there such a thing? (Maybe only Collar Clinic would know... and they might not know the manufacturer fixes???) A basic collar that works is better than a fancy one that's at the shop... (and it's better to be rich and healthy than it is to be poor and sick.)

The Dogtra Edge seems to primarily be set up - control wise - to run multiple dogs. (I guess Chris does that with a TT 70.) I'm mainly interested in training one dog at a time.

#26 ·
I've had many, including very nice TTs, but moved to (2) Dogtra 1800's about 10 yrs ago when I had trouble with a pre-G2 TT. The 1800 is very simple - a dial with clicks for 8 levels - one button for momentary - one button for continuous. (Closest TTis probably the 90.) Two dogs run on 4, one on 5, and the dial is rarely changed for a particular dog. This prevents errors. I see all the buttons and switches on the TT models as a source of error and the transmitter seems a little bulky. Some of the Dogtra models seem to have a too-small transmitter. The LCD readout of levels on the Dogtras seems almost useless to me if you're trying to change level "on the fly." (I assume there are still clicks on the TTs.)

The 1800s have been very reliable, but I have replaced the batteries (after 7 or 8 yrs). They can't last forever and the 1800 model has been discontinued, so I am curious if there are people who have used the Dogtra 3500 (or other) AND a TT model. Lots of folks on here like their TT models, a few like their Dogtras and others, but this isn't really a comparison.

Quality-wise Dogtra and TT seem comparable from what I read. I also have heard some problems with plastic guides on receivers breaking and charger troubles on some models... so comparisons of numbers of problems and customer service would be good, but single anecdotes aren't as good as a large sample. Is there such a thing? (Maybe only Collar Clinic would know... and they might not know the manufacturer fixes???) A basic collar that works is better than a fancy one that's at the shop... (and it's better to be rich and healthy than it is to be poor and sick.)

The Dogtra Edge seems to primarily be set up - control wise - to run multiple dogs. (I guess Chris does that with a TT 70.) I'm mainly interested in training one dog at a time.
I have used both. What would you like to know?? The only time I pay attention to the LCD screen is when I put the collar on a particular dog. I am not concerned with what number the dog is running on, rather, the dogs reaction to the stimulation..if it needs a little more i turn the dial a bit, if it needs a little less I go back the other way. I am one of those trainers that lives in continuous mode...I don't use the momentary/nick button. The TT is not a bad collar...it is just really expensive and really big/bulky compared to the Dogtra. The switches and buttons are confusing to me...press 1 button for low, 2 for med, and another for high but flip the switch to make sure you're in continuous...oh wait wrong switch now i'm shocking fido in the box cause I changed collars not nick-continuous.....its all just a little much for me. That and I hunt...a lot...the Dogtra is a much better size for me to stick in a pocket or hang from a lanyard around my neck. I've owned the sportdogs too and they're junk...inconsistent both at distance and in whether or not it will actually generate a stimulation period...and i've owned innoteks...they simply could not hold up to daily usage by a 1 dog am at the time..much less a professional kennel situation...
I'm a Dogtra guy...they've been good to me delivering a quality product at a reasonable price and having EXCELLENT customer service over the past 6 years I've used their stuff.

#28 ·
I like the bigger TT controller, actually the old style worked better for me. I use a vest with a pocket and velcro strip for the antenna. This is nice because I can quickly get to the controller for a correction. When hunting I already have a whistle and calls around my neck so I don't care to have anything else there. Also when hunting in late season pheasant I usually have gloves on. I have had the TT Pro 500, Upland and Flyway (the last two are basically the same) and I do have a G3 sport which I do like for yard work or taking on walks. This is my vest and they don't make them any longer.
Clothing Outerwear Personal protective equipment Vest Lifejacket

I am not sure why more companies do not make a pocket for controllers. I have watched ebay for a few years and have bought a couple extras of these vests but now my son has claimed one and my last puppy chewed one up that my son left laying on his crate one day.

#33 ·
I asked a TT rep once why the Flyway was a little cheaper. He said it was because of the targeted group of buyers (hunters) vs. dog trainers. Go figure.

#37 · (Edited)
I use more nicks than burns in my training regimine ....... But if I need the continuous, the six levels of continuous stimulation variation of the flyway or 200, when coupled with years of duartion application, ostensibly gives one an infinate number of durations to work with ( read at least 12 more ) in the continuous mode.

john

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.