The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spokane area training

Default Spokane area training

I'm moving to the Spokane, Wa area Jan 10th 2013. I'll actually be living in the Mica Peak area south of greenacres. I was wondering if there is a group of guys/gals that train in the area. I'm not really looking for a club right now due to limited funds. I am getting out of the Air Force after 9 years of active duty. I'm currently stationed in Great Falls, Montana. If everything goes as planned I'll only be in the area until July when I will hopefully be attending the WA State Patrol Academy. I have a 7 year old yellow lab "Cash" who has 2 HT passes, and a 3 year old black lab "Koda" who took 1st in a couple of puppy stakes in Minot, ND. I haven't been able to run them for the past 2 years in any test due to the baby machine being activated a few times. Thanks in advance for any offers, ideas, leads, etc. Here are a couple of pictures of both of them taken on a cold (-10 F) December day this year. Far left pic. is Koda on a 150+ yard retrieve in the Missouri River. The next one is Cash on a 100+ yard retrieve also in the Missouri.

BryanDSCF1714.jpgDSCF1744.jpgDSCF1746.jpgDSCF1720.jpg
    Last edited by MountainAir; 12-24-2012 at 03:40 PM.
    Be Better today then yesterday, be better tomorrow then today.

Join the Spokane Bird Association (NAHRA club), http://spokanebirddog.org/. It's cheap, $25 or $35 dollars or so and you get access to the Espanola training grounds near Medical Lake. The website is way out of date, but the club is active and usually has a training day in spring.
    Kelly Cassidy (person)

HR Maple Cassidy CDX JH RE (golden retriever)
    Alder Cassidy CDX RE (standard poodle chipmunk chaser)
    plus whacked-out weird Burka (elderly mix-breed rescue girl)

Contact Mark Burlington at Burlington Ranch. Just a few miles north of spokane. Nice training grounds and there are groups training there on a regular basis. http://burlingtonranch.com/
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    Contact Mark Burlington at Burlington Ranch. Just a few miles north of spokane. Nice training grounds and there are groups training there on a regular basis. http://burlingtonranch.com/
    Ditto.You are in dog mecca.Lots of clubs and lots of dogs in the area.WRL

and I forgot to mention Mark and his wife are good people too.
    I heard WRL trains there sometimes as well.
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Welcome to the Great Northwet- Spokane is sportsmans heaven. Watch out for that WRL guy- he is a known BSer.

Thanks for your service and welcome to RTF regards

Bubba
    There are three classes of people: those who see...those who see when shown...and those who do not see. - Leonardo da Vinci

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Watch out for that WRL guy- he is a known BSer.
    LOL

Yes watch "Him"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    Welcome to the Great Northwet- Spokane is sportsmans heaven. Watch out for that WRL guy- he is a known BSer.

Thanks for your service and welcome to RTF regards

Bubba
    Yes the WRL guy is almost as bad as the Bubba guy.....SHEESH!

WRL

Like others have said, lots of dog training-trialing opportunities in the Spokane area. When I started back around 1992 there was an active NAHRA group there, Gary Erickson, Dan Hosford, Harry Williams and a bunch of others. I haven't run NAHRA in quite a while, so don't know if they are still active over there, but I do know there is a large, serious amateur field trial group in that area. PM me and I'll give you a couple names and numbers.

The NAHRA club is still active. Holding the regional again in 2013 is the rumor. They are the Spokane Bird Dog Assn. Kelly mentioned earlier. North Idaho Retriever Club has a good group of folks too. Many of them live/train in the Post Falls/CDA area. For some reason I'm having trouble finding their web site at the moment. I would definitely 2nd Kelly's suggestion of joining the SBDA if only because $35 a year is dirt cheap to train on pretty decent grounds/water.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr