The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FT dogs do you hunt with them or not?

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    The reason I originally asked this question is there are so many books where this subject comes up and would seem the author's believe a hunting dog is different from a Field Trial dog and seems that a dog can be one or the other but not both. While I understand a dog trained specifially for hunting would by no means be able to perform at the level demanded for field trials, I just cant see why field trial dogs wouldnt be able to hunt, and from all the posts many of you do hunt FT dogs so Im gonna have to say that the common misconception, of either a hunting dog or field trial dog not both is a myth. As some have said I also believe the dogs know the difference from the line to the duck blind. And I guess the concensus would be that the only real trouble one could get themselves in would be if the dog starts breaking and show unsteadiness while hunting and then carrying that same behavior to the line of a trial. So that is good information to know.
    I would only say that I wouldn't want to hunt a super young FT prospect - say 2-3 years or younger, depending on the dog....the reason for that is I want the basics solid first, to me that is the critical time a dog learns how to be steady, how to focus, how to work as a team on blinds, but after that I don't see why your wouldn't? Now granted I haven't hit the hunting fields like I use to, but there are only so many days in a year...
    "You can't eat a pig whole, but you can eat a whole pig." - Joe S.

Proudly Owned By:
    MHR HR Flash Of Mischief SH CD CGC - Flash (10/15/98 - 10/8/12)
    Lightning Fast Quack Attacker*** - Bullet
    Gotta Heart Of A Warrior - Ranger (12/26/07 - 8/10/2010)
    SML's Gettin' Sexy With It*** - Tango
    FOM's Raising a Ruckus in the Rockies - Riot

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Carson View Post
    Think hunting field trial dogs is great! Isn't that what it's supposed to be about? Pros may not like it, particularly if they've got a dog in training that they think can win, and particularly pheasant hunting. Agree that dogs know difference between hunting and trialing. Still, hunting can loosen them up. My AFC will break on hunting ducks, but never at a trial (so far). I see Canadian Nat'l Am winner hunts from earlier post.

Always be sure to add this qualifier when saying never, and if there is any wood near-by be sure to knock on it a few times! LOL!

As far as hunting goes, we do a bit in SD... This was taken this October in Ipswitch.

Happy New Year Phil!

Dave Bezesky

Last edited by Buzz; 12-27-2012 at 12:11 PM.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

God, Family, Country & LSU Football.

Most of the field trial dogs I know of are not hunted much if at all.
    They are down south for the winter so the competitors dont get a couple extra months of training over them.
    Look at the amount of pros that are south for the winter durring hunting season.
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Fryer View Post
    Eric,

Thanks for reposting this.....great video of Roux in action!

Chris
    __________________________________________________ _____________

Brownstone's Harley- "Harley" 7/29/2009 (By CH Woodhull's Roger That)
    Maple Hill's Ella Enchanted- "Ella" 8/30/2011 (By FC AFC Land Ahoy)

Quote Originally Posted by FOM View Post
    I would only say that I wouldn't want to hunt a super young FT prospect - say 2-3 years or younger, depending on the dog....the reason for that is I want the basics solid first, to me that is the critical time a dog learns how to be steady, how to focus, how to work as a team on blinds, but after that I don't see why your wouldn't? Now granted I haven't hit the hunting fields like I use to, but there are only so many days in a year...
    I am a firm believer in this also. Annd,, I dont necessarly feel it applies to just a FT dog either. (What is a Ft dog anyways)
    I think it a good practice to follow for dogs that will see shorter marks and blinds also.

I think Mistakes I have made in the past verymuch included Hunting dogs before they were ready,,, and letting sloppy Basics become habit.

I think for Mortals its hard enough to keep standards high with a young dog, without adding the excitement, and distraction to the handler of a hunting trip..

Straight lines are a wonderful thing to watch.

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet SH (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Like you I also read a lot of this stuff in books and gun dog magazine when I started in field trials in the early 90s. I wrote a whole article dispelling this myth a year ago for the Golden retriever news.

The "myths" as I see them are 1) Field trial bred dogs are too high powered for the average hunter to handle. 2) Field trial bred dogs are too hyper and figgitty, and are unable to relax in a hunting blind or home in the house. 3) Allowing your dog to relax his standards a bit while hunting, maybe cheat a bank or something, will ruin him as a field trial dog.

I started in this sport because I wanted a good, well trained hunting dog. I hunt lots of upland, but most of my efforts are geared toward waterfowl. I take every hunting season off training to hunt my dogs. Obviously the dogs love it, but I also feel they can use a break from the riggors of day training. My dogs definitely know the difference between hunting and trialing, I haven't seen any bad habits pass over from hunting to field trials. Also, my high powered field trial dogs are very well mannered in the hunting blind and at home. Like I said, I believe these issues are myths, plain and simple.

ps, the dog in my avatar is how my dogs sit and watch for birds, they will sit still and watch for birds from dawn to dusk. That incredible prey drive translates into an incredible focus and steadyness with experience in the duck blind.

John
    The article John has mentioned here, is in the November/December issue of the GRNews. Was a great artice too. Also, I can vouch for his dogs in a duck blind. What a great experience hunting with John and his dogs! Have also seen his dogs run FT's and run under John when he judged. Very knowledgable about all the above. He and his dogs do well in all venues, from hunting, just about everyday during hunting season, to AA FT's.
    Last edited by Bait; 12-27-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    John Baitinger

Oh, the irony. I just seconds ago finished watching a film of John Olin with 2xNFC King Buck and Bill Cline with NFC Massie's Sassy Boots hunting ducks together in Stuttgart following the 1956 National Open.

It reminded me of this thread.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

No never hunt a field trial dog that is not what they are bred for.
    I have learned I need these dogs much more than they need me. Tim Bockmon

What is everyone's idea of a field trial dog?
    Are you talking about a dog that runs some Derby's and Q's or a dog that runs opens and Amateurs?

Also what is your idea of hunting the dog? 3-5 times a year or 10 to 40 times a year?
    www.steenoutfitters.com
    Hunting the Chesapeake with Chesapeake's.
    Captain Thor of the Chesapeake **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Gracie girl **, MH, WDQ
    Captain Thor's Lulu Belle **, MH, WDQ
    Next project
    Captain Thor's Nina Bean Benelli