RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

New training pond is ready for fish

4K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  roseberry 
#1 ·
End of Sept., I had Shannon Calvert (smcsurvey on here) and his cousin engineer and build a 3 acre pond for me for dog training and fishing with my grandkids. Until last week, we went 2 months with non measurable rain where we usually have 12-14" in the same period. Got a little last week that made it a foot deep. Good rain all day yesterday and now making some progress to having a training and fishing pond.

There is a plastic fence post like used to hang barb wire right in the middle of the water in this photo. Yesterday the base of it was at the water level. Today after 1 day of rain it is in the middle of a channel. I measured it and the water came up 26 “ in just one day. There is about 25 acres that drain into this pond and a few more of these and it will be full.

We created some rock piles and humps for structure for the fish and they are almost completely submerged now. You can see plenty of brush for fish cover. I will stock it with bass and bream to start and then some catfish after a couple years.

The island is an island now. I can see me being able to run some good channel and cheating blinds in this area.

Looking from the upper end toward the dam. There a lot of slot blinds in here. This could be some pretty good training water by spring. You can see on the upper right of the dam the overflow pipes. The full pond is 14 feet. I think we are about 5-6 feet at the dam now.

Again a nice job by Shannon and his cousin on the design and engineering and construction.

See less See more
#4 ·
Hey Mike you gonna put some of those Florida strain Largemouth bass in there? Looks like they would flourish with the cover..:)

#6 ·
You see training water...I see fun fishing weekends! lol

#8 ·
Excellent suggestion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.