The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Sensitive pads

Default Sensitive pads

I've noticed that my 1 year old male Lab seems to have started tip toeing when he gets in rough terrain like his pads are tender. There's no redness or cuts or noticeable wear. He's always been touchy about having his feet touched. He seems to forget about it during fun bumpers though. Anyone run across this before and what was the fix?

Does he stay in a outdoor kennel with concrete floor for extended periods of time? Is he a pacer? Is this one of the dogs Jay is training for you?

Quote Originally Posted by DonBrou View Post
    I've noticed that my 1 year old male Lab seems to have started tip toeing when he gets in rough terrain like his pads are tender. There's no redness or cuts or noticeable wear. He's always been touchy about having his feet touched. He seems to forget about it during fun bumpers though. Anyone run across this before and what was the fix?
    Pads will only get tough by working the dog on varied ground. I have neer had a pad issue besause of doing just that. Ia lso use a product called Pad Heal when training and hunting. Helps keep the pads supple while still being tough. Try it.
    Never trust a dog to watch your food!

Jim Boyer www.kwicklabs.com
    MPR UH HRCH Kwick Taffey of Joemac's MH
    HR Kwick Daisy's Spirit Keeper SH
    Kwick Kooly Dew It Allstar SH
    HR Kwick Draw McGraw SH (June, 2007 - May, 2014)

My older female was having issues with one of her pads every time she got into salty water for the first retrieve, but on any additional retrieves she was fine. I saw nothing. One day I had her at the Vet and asked him if he could find anything wrong with her pad. He found a cut right under her nail that was only visible under a bright light if you pulled back the nail. I used liquid bandage, that I found at the pet store until it healed.

Terri