The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with magazine displays(GDG maybe)

Default Help with magazine displays(GDG maybe)

I have a 1959 Sports Illustrated and a 1938 Life magazine that I would like to get out of the bookshelf and into some kind of display. The hoarder in me doesn't want to cut up the magazines but I know I'llneed to to make the best displays. Leaning toward a frame with matting but any ideas would be appreciated. I'm posting pics of each.
    The SI:

The Life:

"The thing I admire about the rat tail is that it takes commitment. It's not like one day you just decide you want one, you have to grow out that bad boy and you have to repeatedly convince the hairdresser to trust you because it's a great idea."

I would use a deep matte inset and frame the entire magazine but go with removable backing for easy access in taking it out of the frame.

The SI issue with the Chessie on the cover has some great references to outstanding retriever venues in Delaware and I use it to promote one of our state's greatest resources. It doesn't go back in the frame very often.

Of sadder distinction, I also use it as reference for what SI's coverage of shooting sports (and field trials) once consisted of - comparing that coverage to one of the last gundog-related articles to appear in the magazine, which I wrote way back in '82 or '83.

MG

Another way would have high resolution digital prints made. Crop if needed and then on high quality photo paper and ink make prints in the size you needed. Easily done if self made is not good enough have a pro do it.

Skip C

Quote Originally Posted by Skip C View Post
    Another way would have high resolution digital prints made. Crop if needed and then on high quality photo paper and ink make prints in the size you needed.
    That is what we did and were very happy with the results. We keep the original intact, framed on the wall. We made high quality copies of the internal pictures, and put together a collage we also framed. No one knows the difference.
    Kevin Walker

Drive is the manifestation of Desire, and measured in Style.
    Thank you judges who score Style, you are preserving Desire!

personally I would go to a baseball card or sports memorabilia shop and see if they have any acid free transparent sleeves and place/seal the publications in those...the greatest dangers to rare stuff like that is air, and the oils from handling them
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Default Quality Picture Framer & Museum Quality Non-Glare Glass; Acid/Oil Free Matting

From my experience the above Title/Info says it all.
    You should opt for a known quality picture framer who has
    experience and strong referrals. Important: Acid free, oil free matting
    a MUST.

See this link:
    http://www.coloframe.com/gsa/product/page4.html

Bill Connor

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    The SI issue with the Chessie on the cover has some great references to outstanding retriever venues in Delaware and I use it to promote one of our state's greatest resources. It doesn't go back in the frame very often.

Of sadder distinction, I also use it as reference for what SI's coverage of shooting sports (and field trials) once consisted of - comparing that coverage to one of the last gundog-related articles to appear in the magazine, which I wrote way back in '82 or '83.

MG

I was thinking you would never see a dog on the cover of SI now or even any kind of article about dogs in there. Those are some cool magazines.
    Kevin

Russ,

Great pics and well worth the time and trouble to display them. If you don't mind spending a few bob, find the local outfit who make the displays for exhibitions. They have all the tackle needed to produce and mount high quality prints from original artwork.

Howsomever I seem to remember you are a handy sort of guy with tools and a fun DIY option might suit you. If it was me I'd just scan the pages (ensuring they are dead flat) and do any colour correction needed with GIMP, the free Photoshop clone. Then print out onto archive quality photographic paper, and mount on a home made or store bought matte. Photographic suppliers are very good sources for that sort of stuff.

The chaps wearing breeches (and the rather well blessed lady ) can form part of my campaign to smarten you scruffy lot up a bit!

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 12-27-2012 at 07:52 AM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Russ

I have seen this places work. They are something special.

It sounds as though you may possibly be able to give them the publish information, Date ,Magazine ect,, and they say they may be able to find the specific cover and article in their library,, IImagine then,, they use a digial copy and frame that,, then they dicuss how you would like the layout, then give you a custom product.

There is a sample gallery in their link.

http://info.inthenewsonline.com/cust...ed-for-display

My Opinion is your magazine is so special, it deserves professional attention.I wouldnt go to a Podunk like myself to have it preserved and framed..

Gooser
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"

It wont be cheap!
    It is far easier to spit on the work of others than it is to produce something better yourself.
    Brynmoors Prairie Sage JH ​(Sage) Just a dang fool huntin Dawg
    HRCH Calypso Seven Bales High SH (Bailey)
    HR Calypso Zoomin Loosies Mad Hader (Maddi) We loved you baby. R.I.P.
    FlatLanders Broken Pistol Ricochet (Flinch)

My Christian Name is Michael Baker..
    I have gone by "Gooser" since I was a "gossling"