The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NY newspaper publishes names, addresses and a map of all local residences who have a

My son in law who has a permit to carry a concealed weapon told me before that in his state it is the people who do not have a gun that will most likely be the ones targeted by a criminal with names and address posted of gun owners.

Terri

It appears to be irresponsible journalism. Publishing that list could put people, and their property, at risk. I donít want the contents of my home published in the paper. Itís an invitation for robbery.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackstone View Post
    It appears to be irresponsible journalism. Publishing that list could put people, and their property, at risk. I donít want the contents of my home published in the paper. Itís an invitation for robbery.
    I agree with you Blackstone.
    How ever, be it known I have a CC, I use it and my home is not a place you want to break into.

I have a very large, very mean Black dog, and I have a loaded firearm within arms reach of my bed, my easy chair and my desk in the "Man Cave."
    Actually, now that I think of it, I may have even more than those about, loaded.

I might add I fired expert every single visit to the range in my military career (once a month).
    Golden "E's!"

As far as the loaded shotgun (Stoger 3500 with 5 rounds of Prairie Storm #4), I may not be real good with that firearm, but then I don't have to be!!!!!

"If you step to me, you had best come correct!!"
    Stan b & Elvis

So it only APPEARS TO BE IRRESPONSIBLE JOURNALISM????? What else could it be?

Quote Originally Posted by road kill View Post
    I agree with you Blackstone.
    How ever, be it known I have a CC, I use it and my home is not a place you want to break into.

I have a very large, very mean Black dog, and I have a loaded firearm within arms reach of my bed, my easy chair and my desk in the "Man Cave."
    Actually, now that I think of it, I may have even more than those about, loaded.

I might add I fired expert every single visit to the range in my military career (once a month).
    Golden "E's!"

As far as the loaded shotgun (Stoger 3500 with 5 rounds of Prairie Storm #4), I may not be real good with that firearm, but then I don't have to be!!!!!

"If you step to me, you had best come correct!!"
    A lab that will bite? Where did you find him?

The real problem Stan, is that a criminal will simple case you house rob you at a time when no one is home. Plus, if they know they may potentially be confronted by a home owner with a gun, they will come prepared to meet you with equal force. One of your best defenses in that situation is the element of surprise. You have an advantage if the robber doesn't know you're armed.

A lab that will bite? Where did you find him?
    SHHHHHHH......
    The real problem Stan, is that a criminal will simple case you house rob you at a time when no one is home. Plus, if they know they may potentially be confronted by a home owner with a gun, they will come prepared to meet you with equal force. One of your best defenses in that situation is the element of surprise. You have an advantage if the robber doesn't know you're armed.
    Then why would responsible news media publish that info?

Just askin'............

I already know why.
    Last edited by road kill; 12-28-2012 at 10:44 AM.
    Stan b & Elvis

The sound and flash of a .44 mag in a dark room would probably make an intruder crap all over themselves even if you missed them with the first shot.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

So ... the knowledge that there could be a gun in the home would be somewhat of a deterent, even if not a complete "guarantee" that your home would be entered. The criminal will either choose your home when you are not there, and steal the guns as well ... although that refrigerator gun safe shown on the main Forum might make that more difficult

I would guess that there is also no guarantee that the criminal who invaded the gun-less home would not be armed?

Smartest criminal would ALWAYS choose the home when nobody is home

Maybe EVERYONE, even those who will never purchase a firearm, should get permits? Then the criminals would not know which homes had a weapon and which did not. Nor would the govt know which had a weapon and which did not ... just in case someone passed a law for confiscation of weapons, it would make the process more difficult

Maybe those permit-holders in that area should encourage their neighbors to also get permits ... for their own safety?

This was, at first, a lighthearted thought ... but it begins to seem less laughable the longer I think about it.
    G.Clinchy@gmail.com
    "Know in your heart that all things are possible. We couldn't conceive of a miracle if none ever happened." -Libby Fudim

​I don't use the PM feature, so just email me direct at the address shown above.

is there a link to any of this? either the newspaper or a FB link or anything
    Im stunned by this
    Goldens Rule !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Gerry Clinchy View Post

Maybe EVERYONE, even those who will never purchase a firearm, should get permits? Then the criminals would not know which homes had a weapon and which did not. Nor would the govt know which had a weapon and which did not ... just in case someone passed a law for confiscation of weapons, it would make the process more difficult

Maybe those permit-holders in that area should encourage their neighbors to also get permits ... for their own safety?

This was, at first, a lighthearted thought ... but it begins to seem less laughable the longer I think about it.
    Best thoughts that I have heard in a good while ( and you have made a lot of good ones in the past ).
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~