The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pricing of pups in ads

Banned

Default Pricing of pups in ads

Why the mystery? Why do some (a lot) of people posting pups for sale feel the need to not include how much they are asking? To some of us that can't afford forking out over a grand for a dog it makes wading through the ads a little quicker if we can simply scroll to the bottom and see what the asking price is. Instead of having to go to their web sight, (where they still don't tell you) then send a e-mail, or call.

Sorry for my first post being a rant, but I'm looking to buy a pup, the reason I joined here, and it's a bit of a turn off reading a ad and then having to jump through hoops just to find a kennel is out of my price range.

The initial purchase price is generally the cheapest part of owning a retriever. A working retriever is a substantial investment and commitment. Good luck in your search.

Banned

let me clarify, I have owned a "working" lab, a hunting lab, not a field trial lab. I have owned dogs of many strips my whole life. I really am not asking for opinions about the "cost" of a dog, or a "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" reply. Not asking for a reply at all. Maybe I'm the only one, but I find it off setting that a person would offer something up for sale and make it a game of sorts to find out what the price is they are asking.

And for us that want a good quality hunting dog, there isn't much cost to owning a dog other than food, and regular vet visits. I have trained my own dogs, so don't need to pay a trainer, don't compete in trials so no need for entry fees. I know food adds up over time, but it doesn't cost a grand all at once. same reason most people make payments of cars and houses, paying a little every month for food is a lot easier than paying for it all at once.
    Last edited by Tim Trammell; 12-29-2012 at 11:04 PM.

Another reason price isnt placed in the ad may well be what the intentions of the buyer are. AKC registrations are either a limited or full registration. Some breeders charge more for a full registration. And I imagine most of the breeders here on RTF are a bit selective of whom they sell there pups to, phone calls and emails are the first part of the interview for adoption of the pup so to speak.
    Jesse

HR SHR JR'S GUNNY DOG "ERMEY"
    SR JR'S MARSH MANGLING MINDY
    JR'S LNR THICKET THRASHING TRIXIE

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Charles C. View Post
    The initial purchase price is generally the cheapest part of owning a retriever. A working retriever is a substantial investment and commitment. Good luck in your search.
    just went to your site, beats the heck out of me how much your pups go for. I see 300$ deposit, but how much more when I pick up the dog, 1000, 2000, why would I even waste my time sending you a email asking if you are not honest enough with your ads to put the price on it? Honest question. Would you buy a car like that? Hey come look at our trucks, $300 deposit and you can have a brand new truck. I just don't get it I guess.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thelast2 View Post
    Another reason price isnt placed in the ad may well be what the intentions of the buyer are. AKC registrations are either a limited or full registration. Some breeders charge more for a full registration. And I imagine most of the breeders here on RTF are a bit selective of whom they sell there pups to, phone calls and emails are the first part of the interview for adoption of the pup so to speak.
    Kind of makes sense, but I sold pups before and put in the ad, xxx$ with papers and XX without. Really didn't take that much time to do it that way.

Free
    I see you just joined, welcome. RTF has been around for a long while and is a fantastic resource for the hunting, testing, and field trial world. Any place with a history also has habits, trends, customs, and traditions that come about over time for various reasons.
    One reason a lot of people don't put a price is because no matter how good the breeding some people will take exception with it. Some just want to keep as private as possible. Some price dogs in the litter at different prices and it is just easier not to list each. Some people will sell the same dog to different people for different prices. In today's world it takes a few seconds to reply to someone by email and if they list a phone number you can get pricing and more from the horses mouth. Who doesn't have long distance included in their cell service?
    Enjoy the resource. Be happy you can find a great list of some of the best available breedings in the country. Don't sweat the small stuff around here.
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

I have only had 1 litter in my life & ended up keeping the singleton that was produced so I have zero experience with selling pups. But I will say that I had a litter ad up with no price. I guess when I am looking for a pup, I am looking for that rare dog that can compete. Price is of little concern. My hope was that like minded individuals see the ad and be willing to take a chance on a pup. I didn't have any interest in dealing with bargain hunters.
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    Free
    I see you just joined, welcome. RTF has been around for a long while and is a fantastic resource for the hunting, testing, and field trial world. Any place with a history also has habits, trends, customs, and traditions that come about over time for various reasons.
    One reason a lot of people don't put a price is because no matter how good the breeding some people will take exception with it. Some just want to keep as private as possible. Some price dogs in the litter at different prices and it is just easier not to list each. Some people will sell the same dog to different people for different prices. In today's world it takes a few seconds to reply to someone by email and if they list a phone number you can get pricing and more from the horses mouth. Who doesn't have long distance included in their cell service?
    Enjoy the resource. Be happy you can find a great list of some of the best available breedings in the country. Don't sweat the small stuff around here.
    Good answer, Bullgator.

I also wish that more ads listed the price of pups, but I can understand the many reasons why breeders do not list the price.

There are some breeders here on RTF who do list the price or the deposit they require indicates the price. If the pups are bred for field trial potential and listed as being field trial prospects and the deposit is $500, you can guesstimate that the price of the pup is more than $1,000.

Helen

Free Range,

Be carfull on this forum about talking about the purchase price of a dog....... As you can see some people get all worked up on trying to save some money on the purchase cost of the dog.... If you cant pay a grand or two for a dog you shouldnt have one........ J/K

As stated before many breeders price is based upon your intentions with the dog.... The bad news is a large majoity of the breeders on this forum have dogs with great bloodlines, in turn will be more expensive pups. watch you local paper and craigslist. there will be tons of pups from hunting families on them. Most of those type pups will be in the $500 and lower price range. You could check your local shelters and if you get lucky they sometimes have pure breeds. I know two guys that i duck hunt with that have pure breed labs from the shelter, they got them as pups. Both of these dogs are great hunting dogs. three days ago i had the pleasure to watch one of those dogs do a 150+ yard blind through some bad stuff.... "impressive to me for any dog"...

Where are you located i acctualy know where a couple litters are for sale?