The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Terrain?

Default Terrain?

I am new to the ht games, and have a question. I have only run started and the terrain was very short on land, what should i expect for seasoned or senior? The seasoned test i watched was a freshly cut hayfield wher the bird was visible from probably 20 yards. Is this the norm?

Thanks
    Train,Hunt,Enjoy

There can be a wide variance in distances and "degree of difficulty" in senior tests, less so (IMO) w/ seasoned. Work your pup up to training for 150+ yard marks in heavy cover and be confident with anything you may see at a HT or in the duck blind.
    Last edited by Good Dogs; 12-28-2012 at 08:29 AM. Reason: clarity

You may also run into heavier cover (regardless of the venue - AKC / HRC) depending upon the time of the year and the ability of the club to have their trial grounds (private vs public vs conservation lands) maintained / cut.
    Last edited by The Snows; 12-28-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    www.dakotacreekretrievers.com

Online store - http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com
    Find us on facebook!

GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
    MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
    Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
    Dakota Creek's Long Shot
    Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc

Depends on the grounds. I have seen even a JH test where the dog was hardly visible in the cover from the time it left the handler to the time it came back (hopefully) with the bird. Definitely something to which you need to introduce your critter.

Terrain has more to do with where the hunt test are held. I have run hunt test and field trials in wide open totally flat fields and others in steep, hilly rough land, it just depends on where you are. To answer your question, the situation you describe is not the norm, the norm would be for a little more terrain and a little more cover.

Quote Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
    Terrain has more to do with where the hunt test are held. I have run hunt test and field trials in wide open totally flat fields and others in steep, hilly rough land, it just depends on where you are. To answer your question, the situation you describe is not the norm, the norm would be for a little more terrain and a little more cover.
    This. The tests you see depend on the land/terrain available that weekend to the judges. I've been at tests in Eastern WA that had marks on side hills, blinds running up a hill etc...and heard people in the gallery worrying because they don't get the chance to train on hillsides where they live. There's a reason that trainers are always looking for new land to train on. You want to try to expose your dog to as many different types of cover and terrain as possible so they're not surprised or overwhelmed at a test or trial.
    Rick Curtis ~ Currently in Ontario, CA by way of Spokane, WA and Northern CA.

Little Man Caught It On The River SH ~ "Ace"

Handlers Handle, Dogs Dog, Judges Judge

"If you train a young dog for momentum, precision will arrive. If you train for precision, demanding perfection, momentum will depart."
    ~Rex Carr