RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Terrain?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Rick_C 
#1 ·
I am new to the ht games, and have a question. I have only run started and the terrain was very short on land, what should i expect for seasoned or senior? The seasoned test i watched was a freshly cut hayfield wher the bird was visible from probably 20 yards. Is this the norm?

Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
You may also run into heavier cover (regardless of the venue - AKC / HRC) depending upon the time of the year and the ability of the club to have their trial grounds (private vs public vs conservation lands) maintained / cut.

#4 ·
Depends on the grounds. I have seen even a JH test where the dog was hardly visible in the cover from the time it left the handler to the time it came back (hopefully) with the bird. Definitely something to which you need to introduce your critter.

#5 ·
Terrain has more to do with where the hunt test are held. I have run hunt test and field trials in wide open totally flat fields and others in steep, hilly rough land, it just depends on where you are. To answer your question, the situation you describe is not the norm, the norm would be for a little more terrain and a little more cover.

#6 ·
This. The tests you see depend on the land/terrain available that weekend to the judges. I've been at tests in Eastern WA that had marks on side hills, blinds running up a hill etc...and heard people in the gallery worrying because they don't get the chance to train on hillsides where they live. There's a reason that trainers are always looking for new land to train on. You want to try to expose your dog to as many different types of cover and terrain as possible so they're not surprised or overwhelmed at a test or trial.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.