The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ear Problems

Just another plug for the "purple stuff" used it only a few times when my BLM was a pup and it's been two years since and have not had any more issues

I use Oti clens in my dogs ears. He has never had any problems and he swims daily.
    GMHR Riparian Bearly Behavin MH QAA (FC AFC Rebel with A Cause X AFC Bams Liberty Belle MH )
    GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare (MHR Tanglewood Iron Dago x Wind River Poppin Pepper)
    MHR Highlands Bearcat (FC AFC Suncrest Bear X GMHR Gadwalls Nightmare)
    Croppers Gold Dust (NAFC FC M D's Cotton Pick' N Cropper X Hunka Papas Chardonnay JH )

Banned

mine has the same problem

I am a huge believer in an allergy symptom from a food ingredient/s. Wheat, Corn, Soy, Glutens, Chicken, Beef, by-products etc. can all cause some type of allergy symptom to different degrees. "Been there Done that" as they say... with Golden’s (pets not hunters) in the late 70's & early 80's. One big issue for my dogs was brewers yeast. I live in So. California where fleas were a problem due to the humidity. Battled the ear yeast infection problem for years till I figured it was from a supplement I used Brewers Yeast and Garlic for fleas. I stopped the supplement in fall & winter and started up again in spring and as soon as I started feeding the BY&G the dogs ears got bright red. Stopped the supplement and the ears cleared up. Never used anything like it again. Nutritional yeast is much different and not the same. Found a food back then that didn't use brewers yeast also. Natures Recipe Lamb & Barley formula. I tested a lot of different foods over the years on those dogs and many more dogs since and as long as I stayed away from the grains, glutens, by-products I have never seen another ear issue of any kind ever. Long before grain free foods there were manufactures that use other grains that seem to not cause any problems with ears. Keep in mind every dog is different.
    I am a huge believer every dog needs a digestive enzyme like Prozyme or other like it to keep the gut healthy. Especially if you have used antibiotics for ear infections. Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria in the gut and the enzymes add in the good bacteria.
    There are many good supplements on the market all of which will help most health problems. You can Google for more info. PROZYME Products, Total-Zymes, Nzymes.com, Animal Naturals, NUPRO All Natural Dog Supplement, Kelp Products of Florida, and for serious flea allergy issues is Body Guard by Protech Pet Health http://www.protec-pet-health.com/body_guard.html

Hope this helps those who need it. Welcome E-mails at thedogtrainer@yahoo.com with any questions or comments.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    I am a huge believer in an allergy symptom from a food ingredient/s. Wheat, Corn, Soy, Glutens, Chicken, Beef, by-products etc. can all cause some type of allergy symptom to different degrees. "Been there Done that" as they say... with Golden’s (pets not hunters) in the late 70's & early 80's. One big issue for my dogs was brewers yeast. I live in So. California where fleas were a problem due to the humidity. Battled the ear yeast infection problem for years till I figured it was from a supplement I used Brewers Yeast and Garlic for fleas. I stopped the supplement in fall & winter and started up again in spring and as soon as I started feeding the BY&G the dogs ears got bright red. Stopped the supplement and the ears cleared up. Never used anything like it again. Nutritional yeast is much different and not the same. Found a food back then that didn't use brewers yeast also. Natures Recipe Lamb & Barley formula. I tested a lot of different foods over the years on those dogs and many more dogs since and as long as I stayed away from the grains, glutens, by-products I have never seen another ear issue of any kind ever. Long before grain free foods there were manufactures that use other grains that seem to not cause any problems with ears. Keep in mind every dog is different.
    I am a huge believer every dog needs a digestive enzyme like Prozyme or other like it to keep the gut healthy. Especially if you have used antibiotics for ear infections. Antibiotics kill good and bad bacteria in the gut and the enzymes add in the good bacteria.
    There are many good supplements on the market all of which will help most health problems. You can Google for more info. PROZYME Products, Total-Zymes, Nzymes.com, Animal Naturals, NUPRO All Natural Dog Supplement, Kelp Products of Florida, and for serious flea allergy issues is Body Guard by Protech Pet Health http://www.protec-pet-health.com/body_guard.html

Hope this helps those who need it. Welcome E-mails at thedogtrainer@yahoo.com with any questions or comments.
    I just feed a couple of tablespoons of high quality yogurt every day for the young dog and every other day for the older. I never clean the ears and they have no problems! Haven't had any in years. And, you can't keep them out of the water!

BHB
    Ahhhh, the smell of a bay dog... nothin finer!

One who lives this life without plans for eternity may appear to be wise for the moment but a fool forever.

Our lives are not made by the dreams we dream but by the choices we make.

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the American
    Government take care of him; better take a closer look at the American
    Indian." Henry Ford

What's the recipe for the "purple stuff"?

Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Thanks MikeB!

You can keep cleaning the ears but that doesn't solve the problem of why it's there in the first place. That's what you need to figure out. Usually if a dog is licking his feet or scratching his ears it's a food allergy. Put him on a limited ingredient food. Buy a good higher end food that is grain free. One with a meat protein he has never had (lamb, duck, venison etc) A limited ingredient is the key. It will take a few weeks but if he does well you know you are on the right track. He isn't allergic to anything you're feeding at that point. You can then reintroduce another protein and wait again to see if he is okay with it. If he has a reaction you need to omit that from his diet. Might want to add coconut oil or salmon oil. Just a spoonful/squirt a few times a week will help with general well being, digestion, skin and coat. Hope this helps.
    Julie Rihn

Those who say "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" have never met my dog!

What are you using for bedding in his outside doghouse? If you are using straw, especially old straw ,get rid of it and buy wood chips.

I had problems with ear mites when I had beagles several years ago and my vet told me that mites of any kind will lay eggs in the hollow center of the straw, I changed to cedar bedding and the problem went away.

Might help IDK
    Shawn White

HR Big Creek Retrievers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy "

BCR's Born to Boogie "Boogie" (FC Contempt of Court "Ruckus" X HR Big Creek Retrivers Independence Day JH QAA "Indy")