The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ear Problems

Purple stuff works. Tried all the other stuff from vet, etc. Costly and doesn't work. Pour other stuff out of bottle and save bottle and put purple stuff in it.
    Mike Murphy

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Rihn View Post
    You can keep cleaning the ears but that doesn't solve the problem of why it's there in the first place. That's what you need to figure out. Usually if a dog is licking his feet or scratching his ears it's a food allergy. Put him on a limited ingredient food. Buy a good higher end food that is grain free. One with a meat protein he has never had (lamb, duck, venison etc) A limited ingredient is the key. It will take a few weeks but if he does well you know you are on the right track. He isn't allergic to anything you're feeding at that point. You can then reintroduce another protein and wait again to see if he is okay with it. If he has a reaction you need to omit that from his diet. Might want to add coconut oil or salmon oil. Just a spoonful/squirt a few times a week will help with general well being, digestion, skin and coat. Hope this helps.
    Daren,

Many have suggested the possibility of a food alergy. If you treat the symptoms conventionally and they return, I'd take Julie's good advice (Nice post Julie!). Remember, when you switch to a food with a novel protein and limited ingredients you must also stop feeding your dog treats as they could be a source of a food alergen.

I think ear problems are commonly blamed on a retrievers "drop-ears" and/or swimming when that may not be the problem. My first Lab had a propensity for gooey ears. When I took him off of Hill's Science Diet his ears cleared up and we had few problems the rest of his life. All dogs are different, just got to find out what's up with yours.

Good Luck!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Sorry down in Puerto Rico for work, not as much fun as you might think. He has no bedding, inside in his crate or outside in his wooden house, nothing in it. Thanks for the help. The problem went away in a couple days and I haven't been home but the girlfriend says he hasn't been bothering them. He's been getting the shits and puking both very infrequent but annoying. Vet said he had a small fever and had some sort of infection. Possible food related deal?? He gets no treats either. PPP only.
    Daren Galloway

I have read an article that suggested that chronic ear problems are one of the first signs of a food allergy. I would suggest that you switch to a grain free food as grains are the most common Lab food allergy and see if that helps. You should also take every opportunity to dry your dogs ears after swimming. Your dog does not have to exhibit hair loss or itchy skin. I had a female lab that I fought to clear up her ear infection until she was 8 and then I found out that the grains were indeed the culprit. Another usual suspect is yeast. Brewers yeast is an ingredient in most prepared foods but some have gone to using yogurt for it's pro-biotic properties. You can even have some success by adding yogurt to your dogs die. If your dog has a yeast infection of the ears

The first thing you need to know is How to detect a dogs' ear yeast infection. The dog should display signs that are easily recognized like, shaking his head repeatedly and scratching his ear/ears excessively. You may also notice a foul kind of sour smell coming from his ears and if you look inside you may see a discharge that looks a little like slime. This indicates that this is probably a yeast infection and not something else.

Once you've ascertained that it is a yeast infection you need to begin treatment by gently cleaning your dogs ears. Clean the inside with a soft cloth or tissue. Gently clean out any pus or wax{ear wax in dogs will be brown or black in color}.Try to keep your dog calm to keep from injuring him or causing any more pain.

Next you will need to get about 1/16 of a cup of warm water and add an 1/16 of a cup of white vinegar to it. Then take your q-tips and soak them with the prepared solution. Carefully insert these into the ear and wipe the inside of the ear ,allowing the solution to drip down into the ear canal. Next massage the outside of the ear to maneuver the solution to all parts of the ear. Now you can wipe some of the excess solution off with a tissue or just let your dog shake the rest out. Do this twice to three times a day for a week or until your dog stops worrying his ears and the foul smell is gone.
    Home of:
    HRCH UH Trinity's Riptide Ryder MH CGC TDI (Passed the 2011 Master National Qualified for '12)
    HRCH UH Trinity's Gremlin Reaper MH CGC ('11 & 12 Master National Qualified)
    HRCH UH Trinity's Riptide River Rush MH CGC ('11 & 12) Master National Qualified passed 2013)
    HRCH Trinity's God of Thunder SH CGC (3 MH pass)
    Trinity's Bird of Prey MH CGC TDI
    Trinity's Blue Moon Rising (1 MH pass)

How can we be sure the dog is not suffering from a chronic ear infection?

I had an 11 year old labrador, finally cured of a severe infection. Gosh it took a few vet visits, washouts and medications. Been good for about a month.
    Field trial labradors, the wind beneath my wings,

sometimes poop under my boots.

The new miracle ear med is called zymox. Much better than the old routine of cleaning out the ears with cloth first, then squirt in the medicine. This stuff is enzyme based and requires you to NOT clean the ear first, because that changes the "environment in the ear and irritates the ear tissue". With Zymox, you just squirt it in twice a day and wipe off any excess. It works faster than the old way.

In our case, I feel the issue is both food allergy and frequent exposure to marsh water. Though I feed a high quality grain free food, I am guilty of allowing junk treats at the coffee shop, etc. The waitresses will put a treat right in their face while asking me if they can have a treat. What am I going to say at that point?

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Henion View Post
    The new miracle ear med is called zymox. Much better than the old routine of cleaning out the ears with cloth first, then squirt in the medicine. This stuff is enzyme based and requires you to NOT clean the ear first, because that changes the "environment in the ear and irritates the ear tissue". With Zymox, you just squirt it in twice a day and wipe off any excess. It works faster than the old way.

In our case, I feel the issue is both food allergy and frequent exposure to marsh water. Though I feed a high quality grain free food, I am guilty of allowing junk treats at the coffee shop, etc. The waitresses will put a treat right in their face while asking me if they can have a treat. What am I going to say at that point?
    Jennifer,

Tell them what I tell my vet (and/or the techs) when they ask if my dog can have a treat. I tell them "NO, my dogs don't eat JUNK!" With puppies I started taking a handfull of kibble with me to give to the vet and techs so they could have fun helping me socialize my pups without feeding them crap!

If you can train a dog you should be able to train a waitress!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Another vote for a grain free food change. I had a lab that had the same issues. Changed his food to grain free and didn't have another problem.

Quote Originally Posted by trinitylabs View Post
    ...Then take your q-tips and soak them with the prepared solution. Carefully insert these into the ear and wipe the inside of the ear ,allowing the solution to drip down into the ear canal...
    My vets have told me to NEVER stick a Q-tip into the Dog's EAR Canal! This can cause serious injury.
    Terrie Tomlinson
    Frontier Retrievers
    HR Five Star Winning Sue SH
    Young Guns: Frontier's True Grit With a Cause "Rooster" and Frontier's Gossip Girl With A Cause "Gabby"
    Boykin Spaniels: Max, Scarlet, Rummy, Jewels, Bella, Molly, and Piper

In Memory:
    HRCH Frontier's Cherokee Rebel MH (5-9-2000 to 12-6-2011)
    Moonstone's Little Girl Found MH (3-20-1998 to 5-2-2008)
    Calebri's Take the Money and Run JH (3-3-2008 to 6-20-2012)