The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Newbie trainer with questions

Thanks Steve,

I understand what you are saying and will work on this. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how long this should take for each command? Should I work on each for a week and then move to the next command? Does it just depend on the dog? Also, what should I look for to know if it is "working" or if I need to increase the level of pressure?

One more question, am I correct in understanding that if the dog "beats" the pressure with the proper response, you do not apply the pressure to allow him to escape the pressure?

Thank you again for your help. This is all beginning to become clear. I will definitely start working on this and I hope to see some real results soon.

Thank you,

AA

Quote Originally Posted by American Ace View Post
    Thanks Steve,

I understand what you are saying and will work on this. Is there a rule of thumb as far as how long this should take for each command? Should I work on each for a week and then move to the next command? Does it just depend on the dog? Also, what should I look for to know if it is "working" or if I need to increase the level of pressure?

One more question, am I correct in understanding that if the dog "beats" the pressure with the proper response, you do not apply the pressure to allow him to escape the pressure?

Thank you again for your help. This is all beginning to become clear. I will definitely start working on this and I hope to see some real results soon.

Thank you,

AA
    No rule of thumb in my book ..It all depends on the dogs performance...If your obed is solid now as you suggest a week of review with pressure may be long enough...for each command ...separate them ...I do sit first ..When the dog will not come when called you are ready to add the heel , here, or what ever command you use for a recall..This is your sign the pressure is working .....When putting pressure on sit do not on the recall ....Like wise when doing the recall do not put pressure on the sit..You will see a dog start to become more aware of the recall and reluctant to sit when the pressure starts to influence the dog once again ..This is when you start to balance the two or blend together...Use pressure on both commands at different times...Every rep does not include pressure...when going good ,no mistakes give the dog 3 days of reps with out any pressure ...Perfection on both commands should be in place... Remember to use praise when the dog does the command correctly ..A pat on the head , a GOOD or GOOD DOG will reinforce the action they just finished...

"am I correct in understanding that if the dog "beats" the pressure with the proper response, you do not apply the pressure to allow him to escape the pressure? "You must give the dog time to react to a given command to see if it is giving you effort..If a correction is to be effectively communicated it must come within 1 second ( I'm told) of the infraction ...I can't do things that fast ..so ...I over look ( as some would say ) that error and immediately come with the command again and use pressure to reinforce the command...IE sit....no response...sit ,pressure,sit ...proper response... When ever pressure is applied the next rep should be with out pressure...The reaction of the dog on this second rep will give us feed back as to how the dog perceived or received the pressure.. If your pressure is not getting the proper change in behavior you are just nagging the dog...up the pressure ...Dogs momentum is built on success..too much too often (pressure) can tear this down ...they must get to a point in each drill that the pressure is removed to continue the learning process with desire to work ...Proofing as Evan mentioned is the follow up of the teaching phase...The dog learns to apply their newly learned skills in different places with ever increasing distractions ...walk up jump shooting flyers in real life , what a rush for them and us....Steve S
    Last edited by steve schreiner; 12-30-2012 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks!!!!,

That really answers some of the questions I had about the details of moving on from teaching the commands to making them reliable and consistant. As I said, I really did not have any problems in the teaching phase, but needed help moving on. I really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    AA

Banned

lots of good information

Quote Originally Posted by KwickLabs View Post
    OK, you've done an excellent job of identifying the problem. The issue you are having is created by not understanding what "to the field" means. By going from "yard work" to "hunting" you've skipped "the training field" entirely.

"The training field" is where you engrain "steadiness and calmness" before hunting. It's where you have total control (in theory) over OB, marking, handling and skill development.

Learning "on the job" is fraught with pitfalls.
    I second this.
    Sharon Potter

www.redbranchkennels.net

Chesapeake Bay Retrievers...too many to list.

Team Huntsmith