The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Will not fetch any more

Pete do you have a mat there for your "place" or does she just use the chair for reference?
    Kevin

There is a little red mat from an old bronco about 3 feet in front of the chair. its slides around when some of the dogs take off or come in and stop to fast. I'm to cheap to buy a real mat. So it kind of moves around).
    John 5 :30
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_dklE7qj2Y

Here is Violet today. co-operative little girl
    That is a great vid clip! I noticed her tail never stopped wagging unless she was intent on something......

Thanks for posting the second one Pete. I also watched her learning place. I use that a lot in my obedience training but didn't think about using it for longer marks.
    All success belongs to the dog, all failure to the trainer.

Chris

Thanks for that video.

Pete

Thanks for making your videos. I enjoy looking at them. You do have a nice calm manner when training.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

"Do not judge a man until you have walked two moons in his moccasins."

Pete, I have done that with Indy for years! He is 100% steady when running from his mat with me throwing remote. Its only when he has me beside him the trouble starts. Hmmmm......wonder if that doesn't sort of point out the problem. And George, Pete does have a great manner and style with dogs.
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

My first thought was like many above: teething. My second thought was that maybe you are doing the retrieving too much and he is bored. How many times are you tossing a bumper in a single session? How many days a week do you do retrieving?
    My suggestion. Train only a few days a week, not 5-6. In Hillman's dvd, Training a Retriever Puppy, he only trains him about every second or third day. Also, keep the retrieves down to about 3 or 4 per session.

I don't know what you are tossing but you might try a small paint roller as that will be easier on his mouth if he is still teething a bit.

Hope this helps.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"

[QUOTEPete, I have done that with Indy for years! He is 100% steady when running from his mat with me throwing remote. Its only when he has me beside him the trouble starts. Hmmmm......wonder if that doesn't sort of point out the problem. And George, Pete does have a great manner and style with dogs.][/QUOTE]

Carol
    If that's the case may be you can blend back in with Indy,,,,starting out in the field and gradually moving closer until you can send with him slightly behind you.
    I think it can work even at Indy's age. I worked a little bit with a dog this summer who had run to many events with not so good line manners,,, sort of like Indy is. In about a month I was able to work him from slightly behind me. His nose with the back of my heels. it didn't affect his marks what so ever
    We double staked him and he didn't move a muscle until the last bird,,, but he had 5 no birds that day. So we were very happy, and he had a good 10 minute honor. (2 year old dog),, I think its worth working on. Indy is a nice dog,Pete
    I can of my own self do nothing ,as I hear , I judge,,and my judgement is just, because I seek not my own will,,but the will of the father which hath sent me
    John 7:16 -- Jesus answered them and said my doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
    mark 16:9 -- So then after the lord had spoken unto them,he was received up in heaven, and sat on the right hand of God
    I Tim. 2:5 --For there is one God and one mediator between God and man ,, the man Christ Jesus

Pam
    Being able to throw marks with out me coming back in all the time is a big plus. The most important thing to me about doing it like this is that I can teach cheating singles without breaking the dogs momentum. especially down the shore marks.
    pete

Thanks for making your videos. I enjoy looking at them. You do have a nice calm manner when training
    George ,,some say I'm just slow. ).