The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media

Thread: Pup Whinning Problem

Default Pup Whinning Problem

We are doing an 8 bumper wagon wheel, as well as 16 bumper. When I tell him "here," or "heel," to make small body shift movements my pup starts to whine. I cant imagine this will be ok when doing a blind retrieve in a hunt test. Anyone have any advice as to how to get him to stop whining?

How old is your pup? Do you think the whining is from excitement or stress?
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

He is 12months old, and has a very strong drive to retrieve. So I think he is whining because he want me to let him retrieve. Im worried this will become habit when sitting at the line.

do not allow him a retrieve while he is whining.

I'm in the same part and with similar dog. Mine was a raving idiot just looking at 8 bumpers on the ground 3 weeks ago. Its taken time and directions from the best on what to do. I was getting frustrated but now I finding progress that is gratifying. Remember what this drill teaches teamwork and communication and to do what the handler wants not the dog.

I was told to Slow down movements, my breathing, and begin by heeling around the outside of the bumpers ring allowing him to acknowledge each one, and then heeling forward. Once around he kinda grew calmer. Then go and run a 4 and then 8 bumper wheel.
    When mine gets frustrated he whines, and its important for them to learn self control under pressure situations. So he whines, I hold him at a high standard, no retrieve, no back. We stop. I let him watch me walk out and pick up that bumper, I heel him to nearby holding blind, go and replace bumper, heel him out of holding blind and back to the mat and start over. If he is vocal again. Game over. Sometimes they do get overwhelmed, they are but young adolescent boys after all.
    Simplifying and keeping high standards has helped me see him improve. Good luck let us know how it goes.
    yes its a bad thing on the line, but you are a long ways off (hopefully) from running your dog. Need to get things solidly under control before advancing to a line/trial environment. where all Heck will break lose and you will be left with bigger problems, some without a cure
    Last edited by Purpledawg; 12-29-2012 at 04:57 PM. Reason: grammer

You be quiet and be still or you don't get to play. Works well when running with other dogs that do play nice or get the bumpers yourself. Duckdon