The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17

Thread: Cross-Venue judging - a small commentary

  1. #11
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    6,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badbullgator View Post
    I though you were duck hunting?
    I was. I made that post before I left the office.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Rnd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Erie,Pa.
    Posts
    616

    Default

    Originally Posted by badbullgator
    I though you were duck hunting?


    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    I was. I made that post before I left the office.
    AND ???????????

    How'd we do?
    May you pin all the marks and line the blinds!!

    Avatar courtesy of RTF"s TZAPPIA

  3. #13
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    6,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by David McLendon View Post
    People talk, it happens a lot. More training, less talking.
    There's more communication available among the retriever community today than ever before. That's a good thing.

    The point I'm trying to make is this: Just because someone you respect expresses an opinion on a person, a venue, or any other matter, you may be missing an opportunity if you automatically accept it as fact.

  4. #14
    Administrator Chris Atkinson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Mount Zion, IL
    Posts
    6,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Originally Posted by badbullgator
    I though you were duck hunting?




    AND ???????????

    How'd we do?

    Had a great time, but we got skunked. Not a single shot fired in our group. We put another group of guys on "the x" and they got one mallard. We had cold temps and 6 inches of fresh snow that really changed things form Friday night to our hunt Sat AM. Pretty much all open water froze over in the area. My hunch is duck season may be over for this particular spot this year.

    It was a great time though.

    Chris

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Fall City, WA
    Posts
    4,622

    Default

    At a Hunt Test I care less about the test one throws(assuming it is not a wild interpretation of the rules) as much as I do how the person treats the attendees' and respects the wishes of the landowner and volunteers who work to put on the tests. As for Field Trials, I believe the bottom line is consistency in judging and appropriate levels of difficulties for said stake. (with the rulebook close in hand)

    And- a slow day of hunting and watching a dog make a single magical retrieve is far more memorable than a simple day with a full limit.

  6. #16
    Senior Member badbullgator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    somewhere between Boca Grande and Mims
    Posts
    7,239

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    Had a great time, but we got skunked. Not a single shot fired in our group. We put another group of guys on "the x" and they got one mallard. We had cold temps and 6 inches of fresh snow that really changed things form Friday night to our hunt Sat AM. Pretty much all open water froze over in the area. My hunch is duck season may be over for this particular spot this year.

    It was a great time though.

    Chris
    See you PM box
    Views and opinions expressed herein by Badbullgator do not necessarily represent the policies or position of RTF. RTF and all of it's subsidiaries can not be held liable for the off centered humor and politically incorrect comments of the author.
    Corey Burke

  7. #17
    Senior Member David McLendon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Loganville, Ga
    Posts
    668

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Atkinson View Post
    There's more communication available among the retriever community today than ever before. That's a good thing.

    The point I'm trying to make is this: Just because someone you respect expresses an opinion on a person, a venue, or any other matter, you may be missing an opportunity if you automatically accept it as fact.
    I totally agree with your last statement as I have been there and done that as well. When first getting into dog games and having no real knowledge of your chosen venue let alone any of the others, one is pretty much guided and steered by the opinions of their mentors and peers. I am thankful to all that have taught me along the way and have never burned any bridges but am all about learning and improving my game both in my training and judging, and that involves looking into and experiencing other areas and venues for me.
    Field Trials are competitions....not everyone gets a "participation ribbon" and they do "keep score"

    Music for walking to the line
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xr6KfJOFqk

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •