The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not retrievers, but I like them; foxhounds. GDG

Default Not retrievers, but I like them; foxhounds. GDG

My first experience with working dogs was with foxhounds, and I still love 'em.

On a very wet and dismal Boxing Day morning, Blimp and The Management plus chums Carol, Don, Janet and Tony, went up into the hill town of Llanidloes for the traditional meet of the local pack in the market square. This isn't your big posh fashionable hunt, just an everyday assembly of local farmers, smallholders, and enthusiasts; not a red coat in sight. The Missus from the pub and her daughters served (free) mince pies and hot mulled wine to all and sundry, and the small kids got to pet the hounds.

The pub is just an ordinary town boozer, friendly, slightly shabby and just great. The small children on their ponies were all turned out very smartly, and above all safely. Note the front and back body armour and the well fitted and secured tin hat; all a bit different from my day!

Within a few minutes the rain started up again and our wee group shot into the pub for mulled wine and whisky Macs where a jolly time was had by all. I hope your boxing Day was as much fun (and drier!)

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 12-28-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.

Very cool Eug! Thanks for sharing!
    Darrin Greene

Although nobody in my family hunts any more, I have always liked foxhounds. Thanks for the pics.

Eug,yours look a lot leggier than ours here,we have a group that rides here locally and everthing is run with a drag now.Even then they slip off on a deer and end up on our property.They have lost quite a bit of land around here to run.Still fun to see them,it`s not for the everyday Joe here and more of a social status.Good day,Jim

I grew up foxhunting, and adopted a couple of retired hounds over the years. Great, great dogs. Sure wish we had known about the body armor! Actually, I think I could have used a full face helmet like the motorcyclist wear. A few too many tree limbs across the eyes!
    Carol,
    Owned and handled by Cruisin' with Indiana Jones, JH
    Alternate Handler: Westwind Buffalo Soldier
    Apprentice Handler: Snake River Medicine Man, JH
    http://newhoperetrievers.com

Eug, ran a lot of hounds in my youth... never had any shaggy ones. We had Walkers, Black & Tan's, Blueticks, Redticks, Redbones, Plott's.. Even one that was half bloodhound and half redbone...

Are those shaggy ones mixed with airdale or wolfhound? or are they fullbred?
    Bill Davis

Eug, what we got here, Griffon Vendeen, Nivernais, "beagoni" (beagle x spinone) what exactly?

MG

Quote Originally Posted by crackerd View Post
    Eug, what we got here, Griffon Vendeen, Nivernais, "beagoni" (beagle x spinone) what exactly?

MG
    I'm thinking a little bit of Otterhound?
    Kathleen

"Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you're not, in fact, just surrounded by a**holes" -William Gibson

My mother was instrumental in starting Amwell Valley Hounds, in NJ , never saw a wirehaired fox hound..... Kathleen you might be on to something.( Kathleen,by the way will send pics on the leaping child soon, she looks great but may be small, I am ok with that though)
    BB
    Sight To Sea Labradors
    Southern Cross at Sight to Sea SH "Crosby" (by NAFC FC AFC Cody Cut a Lean Grade)
    Tealwood's Willing at Sight to Sea JH ( by CH I am Able)
    Briarglen's Running on Faith JH (by FC Fish River's Out of the Park)
    Glendair's Come Home to the Sea ( By Ch Topform's Edward MH, QAA)
    Sight To Sea's Take Aim SH (by Sight to Sea's Southern Comfort SH )Aug 23 2003-Feb 2013 Go get em , Man!

Manager of www.DeCoverlykennels.com

As to the long, long ago breed ancestry I haven't a clue, however I'm sure they aren't a recent admixture, but descendants of the rough haired hounds of Europe that were familiar to the Romans, and are indeed a separate breed and thus full bred. Those in the pics are pretty typical of Welsh Foxhounds, albeit in a mixed pack. The shaggy protective coat gives them a chance against the hill weather, rocky outcrops and trappy, thickety cover. The males are normally a bit taller than the English smooth haired hounds when fully grown.
    Griffon Vendeen, Nivernais, "beagoni" (beagle x spinone) what exactly?.....I'm thinking a little bit of Otterhound?
    I'd hazard a guess that they are all related to a common, earlier ancestor.

The Welsh Hound Society and hence stud book was founded in 1920 something or other.

Most round here are foot packs, no horses involved, the ground is just too difficult. Additionally there is an abundance of well maintained wire fences (and the other sort!). Generally speaking Guns are posted in likely spots, and the hounds flush the foxes into a position where they can be shot.

Eug
    Last edited by Colonel Blimp; 12-28-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Thank you, very kind, Mine's a pint.