The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a strong pedigree?

Default What's a strong pedigree?

Hello All - I'm new to RTF, and have been enjoying the great discussions here. Later this year, I'm planning to get a lab pup to train for some upland/waterfowl hunting, and as all around good companion for the family. I've had labs throughout my life, but this will be my first attempt at training a gun dog.

Here's my question: when looking at pedigrees of both sire and dam, what in your mind, constitutes a "strong" pedigree? Ideally, should both parents and grandparents be of champion or award stock? Also, I know that sire/dame each contribute 50% of genetics, but should there be a greater weighting on one sex over the other? I would be grateful for any thoughts. Thx

These days it should be easy to find a litter pedigree where the sire and both grand sires have field titles like FC or AFC in front of their name or MH after. The next thing to look for, which is less common, are field titles on the dam and grand dams. The more titles on the bitches in first 3 generations the better. Dogs 4 gens + back don't matter except for nostalga .

It is fairly common for the lower half, the bitch side, of Labrador pedigrees to be weak in field accomplishments. Often you will find no field accomplishments on the females at all. This is because anyone with a female dog can buy a breeding to a titled dog if they want.

Here is an example of what is considered a strong pedigree as far as Field Trial dogs go. Happens to be one of mine.
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=14655

She had puppies and their pedigree would be considered strong as well.
    http://www.huntinglabpedigree.com/pedigree.asp?id=54290

Now, you don't need to go after puppies with pedigrees like that, just an example.
    Last edited by Breck; 12-28-2012 at 05:47 PM.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Banned

Make sure you don't buy "too" much dog. If you want to train it yourself research your pedigree's and make sure you DON'T buy a fire breather. No matter what others say.

I train dogs for a living and 1/2 of my clients buy more dog then they can handle. Good for me,, not so much for you

Angie

You say "walk softly...and carry a huge ass whip". What is your defiinition of a "fire" breather????

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Reminton Steele View Post
    You say "walk softly...and carry a huge ass whip". What is your defiinition of a "fire" breather????
    An extremely intelligent, highly driven dog, that is huge maintenance. Your wife and kids won't be able to deal with it when you're outta town kinda dog..

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    An extremely intelligent, highly driven dog, that is huge maintenance. Your wife and kids won't be able to deal with it when you're outta town kinda dog..

Angie
    Right! If wanna drive a Ferrari you're probably gonna need a driving instructor and mechanic.
    "Darla" AFC Candlewoods Lil Smokin Tequila (2002-2013)(fondly remembered)
    "Smoke" Smokin Auggies Menace, QAA (2003- )(retired nut case, ask Rando)
    "Simba" Humewood Simba (1999-2014)(my 1st dog)

Per favore, non mi rompere i coglioni.
    Grazie

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Breck View Post
    Right! If wanna drive a Ferrari you're probably gonna need a driving instructor and mechanic.
    That and a pair of driving clubs...

Angie
    Last edited by Angie B; 12-29-2012 at 06:52 PM.

I'd recommend that you seek out a training group or two, in your area. Then you will get to see different dogs in all kinds of circumstances. You will have an easier time deciding what you want when you see it first hand. The best pedigree you can get is the way to go. Which pedigree is right for you depends on a lot of things.
    NAFTCH FTCH AFTCH Mjolnir Bluebill Of Allanport
    Flatlands Bayduck of Allanport
    Dakota Creek Teal of Allanport

A "strong" pedigree is how the seller describes the ancestry of the pup s/he's trying to convince you to buy but, in the absense of knowing the parents/grandparents yourself, the titles indicate that someone besides their owners thought the dog(s) were pretty good.
    Julie R., Hope Springs Farm
    Chesapeake Bay Retrievers since 1981

Really great stuff...thanks everyone!