The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Gun Dog Broker
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's a strong pedigree?

You can have a superb pedigree without the dog being a Type A dog. The pedigree is no guarantee what the dog will be like. Heck, not even the parents can be a true indicator sometimes. You get some really odd things out of breedings sometimes & the simple fact is, it's an individual dog basis.

A good idea may be to look at what titles mean. There are several threads on here explaining what each individual title means, I'd link but I'm on my cell phone. Once you know the differences (generally) between an AFC/NFC or GHRCH or FTCH, you can make a more informed decision on which titles you are looking for in your dog's pedigree.
    -Barton Ramsey

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Make sure you don't buy "too" much dog. If you want to train it yourself research your pedigree's and make sure you DON'T buy a fire breather. No matter what others say.

I train dogs for a living and 1/2 of my clients buy more dog then they can handle. Good for me,, not so much for you

Angie

Good advice!!!!
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey
    Pink Lady

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

What I look for is that there are working dogs in the pedigree. Just as important to me is to get to see the parents. I can then evaluate what I see in terms of physical characteristics as well as working qualities. If you look for FC-AFC only you may end up missing out on a lot of good possibilities. Also decide what you are going to do with your dog and seek appropriate litters. For myself I look for dogs for the field. I want my goldens to be high energy, not big, not fluffy, not fat, and as bold as can be.
    "I love the rod and gun and where they take me."

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    An extremely intelligent, highly driven dog, that is huge maintenance. Your wife and kids won't be able to deal with it when you're outta town kinda dog..

Angie
    The last line made me smile. I absolutely love my Peerless. But last fall I was out of town for a field trail and I called my wife. She stated, "I wish you would stop leaving that dog home for the weekend!" I don't understand. She behaves for me...
    "For everyone to whom much is given, of him shall much be required." -- Luke 12:48

Raven - Moneybird's Black Magic Marker***
    (Esprit's Power Play x Trumarc's Lean Cuisine)
    Mick - Moneybird's Jumpin' Jack Flash***
    (Clubmead's Road Warrior x Oakdale Whitewater Devil Dog)
    Peerless - Moneybird's Sole Survivor
    (Two River's Lucky Willie x Moneybird's Black Magic Marker)

Another suggestion is to find a club event and watch a few dogs run. Ask the owner/trainer how easily trainable they were and do your research on finding a similar pedigree. Now each dog will be different but the more dogs you watch and the more work you put into it the more likely you will find the perfect dog for you. Good luck it is a blast!