The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Force Fetch...Indicator of training in the future?

Banned

Default Force Fetch...Indicator of training in the future?

Ok. So here is my question: Do you believe that how quickly/easily a dog goes through force fetch is an indicator for the future for a dog's training attitude or aptitude? If you do, have you had those exceptions? You know the dog that drags through force fetch and then it "clicks" further on and he/she flies through more advanced training? How did those exceptions turn out? (Titles, accomplishments etc)

FF is a conditioning process not just to teach the dog to pick something up...Some dogs come with a desire to get something in their mouth and are slow at learning more complex drills...An over all desire to work ( participate ) is what I look for...It is not a guarantee of the dogs ability to learn and master future drills, but a lot more pleasurable to work with though... Steve S

WRL you may be on to something. My 3yo was very easy to FF and very lovely to train.
    My Cosmo pup 1 1/2 yo very difficult to FF. been through twice and is very difficult to work with and train. Can really try your patience. ML
    HRCH Scaupgetters Tarnation QAA
    HR Blackie 2 CGN, WCI
    Metras's Hashtag Mickey

"Knowing how important right timing is in accomplishing right actions"
    Uncle Ray

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by steve schreiner View Post
    FF is a conditioning process not just to teach the dog to pick something up...Some dogs come with a desire to get something in their mouth and are slow at learning more complex drills...An over all desire to work ( participate ) is what I look for...It is not a guarantee of the dogs ability to learn and master future drills, but a lot more pleasurable to work with though... Steve S
    So the answer to the question is?? Yes/No Maybe?

I've ff'd a pile of dogs in the past couple years and i've had some real hard heads. Several in particular stand out in my mind though. I had a little female who was particularly hard to ff, EXTREMELY soft and NOT AT ALL driven but we managed to get her handling and running pattern blinds, and doing doubles...it just took 3 months longer than what we originally wanted. I had another yellow male who was VERY difficult to ftp..like 60 days worth but as soon as we finished, he turned on and man o man could he mark. Sadly, his owner took him home to hunt and hasn't done a thing since he has been gone. One black male I did several years ago took almost 70 days to ear-pinch, and 45 days to ftp. His owner was happy with him when he took him home as he was more than capable of taking the reigns from there and he is currently doing senior work. And lastly I still have a little female who was an absolute breeze to ff...60 days from hold to mini t, and 45 more to cold blinds however, that's when the road block happened. She had been doing doubles since she was in T work but just couldn't grasp the concept that there were 3 marks instead of 2!! She stalled on her blind work as well and though she would run them they were just VERY slow to improve...especially when running them between the marks. Thanks to a VERY understanding owner we decided she just needed time to mature and we agreed we would not give up on her. 1 year to the date of her receiving her HR title she got her 1st finished pass. She finished this past fall going 3 for 4 in Finished at 26 months. I have had 5 in the past couple years that absolutely breezed through the basics and never slowed down. 2 in particular, a black female and my chocolate male who both by 16 months were doing Finished/Master work and doing it extremely well. I guess what I am getting at is it depends on what your definition of "turned out" is. I much prefer those who grasp the concepts easily but, every now and then one of those "challenges" makes me proud. My latest "challenge" is a very well bred (FC AFC x MNH) 2 yr old female whom I didn't ff however, I know personally the man that did ff her. He is a very accomplished Amateur with Grand passes and a QAA dog to his credit, as well as several HRCH and MH titles. She just didn't seem to "get it" and appeared very low driven, soft, and disinterested. He brought her to me for several months and the "light bulb" turned on. Although I was very fair, I gave her no "slack" and her whole outlook changed. I am thoroughly convinced she was playing him. She is doing Finished/Master level work as a 27 month old now. So yes, I believe that FF can be an indicator of the dogs future training but in some cases, they're just not worth giving up on.
    Joe Overby
    Candler Creek Retrievers
    www.candlercreekretrievers.com
    GRHRCH UH "Hooch" MH (HRC 1500 pt. club)
    HRCH "Tater" MH

"It depends". I know a young dog trainer that used to (may still do it) wash dogs out on the force fetch table, stating he didn't like Fido's response to pressure. I thought this was pretty gutsy of him. At the age the dog is going through FF typically, ie: 6-8 months, they are just a mere glimpse into the mirror of who they are going to be when they grow up.... and there are so many facets of what determines the final outcome of the dog. maturity, socialization, environment, etc are play a part in it. I know many nice dogs that hated FF, hate the yard, but were great markers and never looked back. I work more on the belief, "show me the dog that enjoys FF, and I'll show you a dog that... "
    Susan

FC Tribute to Justice, JH "Honor"
    FC AFC Contempt of Court "Ruckus"
    Medal Of Honor, QAA "Valor"
    HRCH Kirby's High Sierra, SH, QAA "Kirby"
    HRCH Niki Snowbird, SH, QAA "Niki"
    Southland Order In the Court, QAA "Gavel" July 17, 2002- March 24, 2013
    Southland Rusty Nail - derby points, qual placements "Rusty"
    www.justiceretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    So the answer to the question is?? Yes/No Maybe?
    Yup, you got it.

Actually, the easiest dog I've ever force fetched, Chena River Wild Lady, breezed through ff. She wound up with 160ish all age points, I think.
    Last edited by Howard N; 12-29-2012 at 12:29 AM.
    Howard Niemi

You really gotta be careful about how high a pedestal you put your method, your accomplishments, your dog on. There's usually someone who's done more, somewhere. And they may have used a different method than you did! Chris Atkinson 2013

get your dog out and TRAIN! caryalsobrook 2013

Quote Originally Posted by WRL View Post
    Ok. So here is my question: Do you believe that how quickly/easily a dog goes through force fetch is an indicator for the future for a dog's training attitude or aptitude?
    No. Since they aren't machines, however, the answer can't be all one way or another. But, generally, 'no' because I've had many that didn't FF well, but trained well otherwise. I've had others that force fetched smoothly, but had significant issues in other areas; water, for example.

Evan
    "Prepare your dog in such a manner that the work he is normally called upon to do under-whelms him, not overwhelms him." ~ Evan Graham

“People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it.”

― George Bernard Shaw

The Smartwork System for Retriever Training (link)
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...59&ref=profile

How well a dog performs during force fetch is not necessarily an indicator of future performance.

Gary Z., Pirate's owner, told me that Pirate was a little difficult to ff. And look how he turned out. So, I would say no.
    Wayne Nutt
    Go Nutts with dog training

HRCH Patton's Parker Co. Shadow "Shadow"
    HRCH Clineline Hijacker "Jack"
    HRCH Marks a Lot Midnight Hudson, SH "Hudson"-retired
    Castile Creek's Rawhide, SH "Rowdy"