The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Year Resolutions

Default New Year Resolutions

Heck, I may even adopt some of these resolutions myself.

A Libertarian’s New Year’s Resolutions

1. I resolve to sell liberty by appealing to the self-interest of each prospect, rather than preaching to people and expecting them to suddenly adopt my ideas of right and wrong.
    2. I resolve to keep from being drawn into arguments or debates. My purpose is to inspire people to want liberty — not to prove that they’re wrong.
    3. I resolve to listen when people tell me of their wants and needs, so I can help them see how a free society will satisfy those needs.
    4. I resolve to identify myself, when appropriate, with the social goals someone may seek — a cleaner environment, more help for the poor, a less divisive society — and try to show him that those goals can never be achieved by government, but will be well served in a free society.
    5. I resolve to be compassionate and respectful of the beliefs and needs that lead people to seek government help. I don’t have to approve of their subsidies or policies — but if I don’t acknowledge their needs, I have no hope of helping them find a better way to solve their problems.
    6. No matter what the issue, I resolve to keep returning to the central point: how much better off the individual will be in a free society.
    7. I resolve to acknowledge my good fortune in having been born an American. Any plan for improvement must begin with a recognition of the good things we have. To speak only of America’s defects will make me a tiresome crank.
    8. I resolve to focus on the ways America could be so much better with a very small government — not to dwell on all the wrongs that exist today.
    9. I resolve to cleanse myself of hate, resentment, and bitterness. Such things steal time and attention from the work that must be done.
    10. I resolve to speak, dress, and act in a respectable manner. I may be the first Libertarian someone has encountered, and it’s important that he get a good first impression. No one will hear the message if the messenger is unattractive.
    11. I resolve to remind myself that someone’s “stupid” opinion may be an opinion I once held. If I can grow, why can’t I help him grow?
    12. I resolve not to raise my voice in any discussion. In a shouting match, no one wins, no one changes his mind, and no one will be inspired to join our quest for a free society.
    13. I resolve not to adopt the tactics of Republicans and Democrats. They use character assassination, evasions, and intimidation because they have no real benefits to offer Americans. We, on the other hand, are offering to set people free — and so we can win simply by focusing on the better life our proposals will bring.
    14. I resolve to be civil to my opponents, and treat them with respect. However anyone chooses to treat me, it’s important that I be a better person than my enemies.
    Changing the Presidential Debates to allow Liberty on the stage will change America. You can help. Go to Our America's Debate Challenge to learn how you can help.

I resolve to stop reading Franco's posts when they are about either the SEC, the Saints or the Libertarian party.
    M&K's HR UH Tucker of Texoma JH
    M&K's SHR Prime Black Angus
    M&K's Miss Jessie Girl JH
    Sir Jacob of Lakeview-Jake
    Freeway JYD

Mike Whitworth

the Libertarian Party : home of the "don't blame me, I didnt vote for either of these fools" the ultimate contrarian view, thinking they are above all the bickering and two party stalemate

I am proud to be a Republican, my party has made some gross errors in leadership,they don't have all the solutions to all the country's woes..I like what the Libertarians stand for, but I also like what the Tea Party brings to the table, I like many Democrats, but not a big fan of their Party

I am a Republican because at this time they represent more of my views...no ONE party is going to represent ALL of my views...my Party does need some fresh blood and leadership at the top of the party
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Quote Originally Posted by BonMallari View Post
    the Libertarian Party : home of the "don't blame me, I didnt vote for either of these fools" the ultimate contrarian view, thinking they are above all the bickering and two party stalemate

I am proud to be a Republican, my party has made some gross errors in leadership,they don't have all the solutions to all the country's woes..I like what the Libertarians stand for, but I also like what the Tea Party brings to the table, I like many Democrats, but not a big fan of their Party

I am a Republican because at this time they represent more of my views...no ONE party is going to represent ALL of my views...my Party does need some fresh blood and leadership at the top of the party
    Ditto ! .........................
    charly

There ought to be one day -- just one -- when there is open season on Congressmen.
    ~Will Rogers~

They are NOT the "don't blame me" party but the party that is trying to enlighten the electorate as to the FACT that those are the two parties that have gooten us into the financial and domestic/foreign policy abysis we are in!

Good luck with the Repubs. I don't see them going anywhere until they are truely willing to embrace Liberty. If recent History is any lesson, it is not a part of their DNA. They have become a financially corrupt, war mongering, big spending, big government, anti-Liberty political party! You can have them.
    Changing the Presidential Debates to allow Liberty on the stage will change America. You can help. Go to Our America's Debate Challenge to learn how you can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    They are NOT the "don't blame me" party but the party that is trying to enlighten the electorate as to the FACT that those are the two parties that have gooten us into the financial and domestic/foreign policy abysis we are in!

Good luck with the Repubs. I don't see them going anywhere until they are truely willing to embrace Liberty. If recent History is any lesson, it is not a part of their DNA. They have become a financially corrupt, war mongering, big spending, big government, anti-Liberty political party! You can have them.

Very predictable response Franco..very predictable.....Got some earth shattering news for you....Democrats want liberty, Republicans want liberty, not any more not any less...Liberty is not a party thing , its an American thing...but you can go on thinking that Libertarians are the only ones that want liberty, if thats what floats your boat...

Its not the Party's that have gotten us into this mess....its the people that WE ELECTED ...a party is only as good or weak as those that we elect to represent us

Have a happy New Year
    All my Exes live in Texas

Quote Originally Posted by lanse brown View Post
    A few things that I learned still ring true. "Lanse when you get a gift, say thank you and walk away. When you get a screwing walk away. You are going to get a lot more screwings than gifts"

Very predictable response Franco..very predictable.....Got some earth shattering news for you....Democrats want liberty, Republicans want liberty, not any more not any less...Liberty is not a party thing , its an American thing...but you can go on thinking that Libertarians are the only ones that want liberty, if thats what floats your boat...

Its not the Party's that have gotten us into this mess....its the people that WE ELECTED ...a party is only as good or weak as those that we elect to represent us

Have a happy New Year
    They want Liberty? I liken it to a Football team that wants to win. Everyone wants to win. However, few are willing to do what it takes to win. Same for Liberty.

Proof is in the product and the Dems nor the Repubs stand for Liberty. The Dems are getting ready to go after Gun Rights not to mention they want to tax and spend this country into oblivion. The Repubs spend way to much of they time and energy telling citizens how they should live and they too say one thing and do another. Big government/big spenders, just a different flavor!

Liberty most certainly is a Party thing!

A Libertarian’s New Year’s Resolutions

1. I resolve to sell liberty by appealing to the self-interest of each prospect, rather than preaching to people and expecting them to suddenly adopt my ideas of right and wrong.
    2. I resolve to keep from being drawn into arguments or debates. My purpose is to inspire people to want liberty — not to prove that they’re wrong.
    3. I resolve to listen when people tell me of their wants and needs, so I can help them see how a free society will satisfy those needs.
    4. I resolve to identify myself, when appropriate, with the social goals someone may seek — a cleaner environment, more help for the poor, a less divisive society — and try to show him that those goals can never be achieved by government, but will be well served in a free society.
    5. I resolve to be compassionate and respectful of the beliefs and needs that lead people to seek government help. I don’t have to approve of their subsidies or policies — but if I don’t acknowledge their needs, I have no hope of helping them find a better way to solve their problems.
    6. No matter what the issue, I resolve to keep returning to the central point: how much better off the individual will be in a free society.
    7. I resolve to acknowledge my good fortune in having been born an American. Any plan for improvement must begin with a recognition of the good things we have. To speak only of America’s defects will make me a tiresome crank.
    8. I resolve to focus on the ways America could be so much better with a very small government — not to dwell on all the wrongs that exist today.
    9. I resolve to cleanse myself of hate, resentment, and bitterness. Such things steal time and attention from the work that must be done.
    10. I resolve to speak, dress, and act in a respectable manner. I may be the first Libertarian someone has encountered, and it’s important that he get a good first impression. No one will hear the message if the messenger is unattractive.
    11. I resolve to remind myself that someone’s “stupid” opinion may be an opinion I once held. If I can grow, why can’t I help him grow?
    12. I resolve not to raise my voice in any discussion. In a shouting match, no one wins, no one changes his mind, and no one will be inspired to join our quest for a free society.
    13. I resolve not to adopt the tactics of Republicans and Democrats. They use character assassination, evasions, and intimidation because they have no real benefits to offer Americans. We, on the other hand, are offering to set people free — and so we can win simply by focusing on the better life our proposals will bring.
    14. I resolve to be civil to my opponents, and treat them with respect. However anyone chooses to treat me, it’s important that I be a better person than my enemies.
    Franco, also being a Libertarian, I love these resolutions. I would suggest that you reread resolutions 1,2,5,6,8,9,10,11,12, and 13. It appears to me that you may have broken them with your first 2 posts.

Have a happy New Year
    Well said

Richard

Cleaning up my assorted things that I keep for the future - come across a list from the Reform Party of Washington, circa 1998. Generally similar to your list & unfortunately just about as effective. Made me think of "United We Stand", would you remember that bunch? At least their candidate got a vote count significantly higher than 5%. This was after deciding in the middle of the campaign that he was going to drop out . But then reUpped .

Marvin S

Everyone's friend is No One's friend

Someday your life will flash before your eyes. It's your responsibility to make sure it's worth watching!