The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Doesn't like his food anymore???

My dogs are fed 1 time a day. One gets 3 cups and the other gets 2 1/3 cups. All is eaten in about 1 minute.

Lonster

Looking at the ingredients of the food your feeding, I would change food to a chicken meal & rice food. Your dog may be tired of the Turkey & Salmon food. I don't think you need the Large Breed formula for a 2.5 year old dog. Regular adult or performance formula if needed.
    Training Isn't Expensive..... IT'S PRICELESS!

Do you feed him anything other than dog food? Table scraps, meat, treats, etc? If so... stop... this is often the cause of the problem.

I have a lab that did the same thing... i fed him twice a day, morning and evening and he would not eat all of his food in the morning or even touch it sometimes... and then went to the same amount once a day and now he eats it all...

I have one that did the same thing. I changed the brand of food for other reasons and he gets happy about eating now. Don't know why but he like the new food. Good luck.
    HRCH Johnny's "Tucker" Out Splashin' SH
    SHR Drew's Outback Girl "Bindi"

Other than a medical issue or a bad bag of food, I have seen my male go off his feed when a bitch in heat is around. My male will hardly touch food when my neighbor's sheltie bitch comes in. Same when his mom would come in (she's now spayed)

I agree with Bobby Boudet. I set the bowls down and if they aren't clean in 5 minutes, the bowl gets picked up.

Newf,

I wouldn't rule out a bad batch of food just because you bought a new bag. A new bag purchased at the same store may be from the same production lot. It might be getting old or the pallet of food may have been improperly stored at some point which can cause the fat in the food to become rancid. Dog's have great noses and may be able to tell when things aren't good.

Also wondering how you store your food. I had a person that bought a pup from me who used a plastic storage bin that was designed and marketed to store dog food in. All of the dead air space in the bin contributed to the food spoiling and their dog wouldn't eat it. Dog food bags are designed to store dog food in and that's the best place to keep it until it's gone (rolled up tightly after each use). You will also have the Exp. Date and Production Code handy in case of a recall.

I second the five minute rule. If I put the clock on my dogs their bowls would be empty in 90 sec. or less.

Good Luck!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer

Gee, I suppose a bag of dog food could go bad but I can't believe my dogs would not eat it anyway. They eat 6 month old rotten salmon, moose poop and goose s&!^ on the river bank so I hardly see how dog food could be offensive. Some dogs just don't eat much. If he's healthy and not loosing weight I don't think I would worry to much. Duckdon

Quote Originally Posted by Swack View Post
    I second the five minute rule. If I put the clock on my dogs their bowls would be empty in 90 sec. or less.

Good Luck!

Swack
    Yep. I feed 4 dogs. By the time i set the 4th bowl down in the kennel the first ones done.
    HRCH Hudson River Drake (Possom)
    HRCH Hudson River Saying Grace (Gracie)

My girls know the phrase "are you hungry"..."ready for breakfast/dinner"...One dances on her hind legs the whole time I'm preparing the bowels and the other just stars at me like I am the most "amazing" person she has ever met!!! They each get just a smidgen over 1 cup twice a day, and the bowels are clean in less than 1 minute, then they do a dance and move to each other's bowl to make sure it's all gone. I feed them Orijen and they love it. If either ever showed a lack of interest in eating, I'd call the preacher and undertaker cause they would be on their deathbed!!!! My girls love to eat.
    Last edited by Rick Vaughan; 12-31-2012 at 08:31 PM. Reason: correct spelling
    My Girls...
    Duckback's Lord Have Mercy, MH 8/07
    Duckback Armbrook's Indigo Pearl, SH 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Vaughan View Post
    My girls know the phrase "are you hungry"..."ready for breakfast/dinner"...One dances on her hind legs the whole time I'm preparing the bowels and the other just stars at me like I am the most "amazing" person she has ever met!!! They each get just a smidgen over 1 cup twice a day, and the bowels are clean in less than 1 minute, then they do a dance and move to each other's bowl to make sure it's all gone. I feed them Orijen and they love it. If either ever showed a lack of interest in eating, I'd call the preacher and undertaker cause they would be on their deathbed!!!! My girls love to eat.
    Rick,

I second the Orijen thing! I have fed Orijen to my past three litters and the pups I've kept from those litters. They like it and so do I!

Swack
    Jeff Swackhamer