The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ***GDG Ice Fishing Season GDG****

I really enjoy ice fishing... probably more than any other fishing, actually. Problem is, here in Ohio ice formation is unpredictable and usually short-lived, so my seasons are usually way too short. We've got some good ice forming right now, though. Won't be long!

I guess being from the South, I've never figured out how anyone can "catch" ice?
    "Force fetch isn't about retrieving as much as it is conditioning a dog to handle pressure, in a very controlled environment. It's about putting a dog in the position of having to figure out how to turn off pressure by finding the correct response. This translates into numerous areas in training." Sharon Potter.

Banned

Ahhh takes me back!!! Lots of good fishing on Winnebago and Butte des Morts... Playing sheepshead in the shanty and watching those tip ups.. Uber Good!!!

Kinda sick actually and I'm glad I moved to Texas...

Walleye Rocks and Is The Bomb!!!

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd View Post
    Funny you mention the cheeks.

I give a lot of fish away, but NEVER the cheeks

They're too good (IMO) to batter and fry.

Yes, do the butter and olive oil, blackened, lemon & pepper.......

Lots of tricks with those cheeks. Usually envolves a Griswold cast iron skillet too...

Randy
    a small cast iron and a stick of butter was always brung. often the cheeks never made it off the ice. we would jig smelt in the shanty with slabs and fresh eyes and then put some on tip ups for real fish. often could end up with stealhead and walleye and late trout, and smelt. never much of a pearch fan myself but the deep fried tails crunchy like tater chips are nice.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Quote Originally Posted by Dman View Post
    I guess being from the South, I've never figured out how anyone can "catch" ice?
    my Mothers youngest sisters second husband is from Mississippi. We took him once. later he told his relations on the telephone he went jerking perch. he did not catch a thing. walking off of the ice I threw a fish at him so he could say he caught one.
    "So what is big is not always the Trout nor the Deer but the chance, the being there. And what is full is not necessarily the creel nor the freezer, but the memory." ~ Aldo Leopold

"The Greatest Obstacle to Discovery is not Ignorance -- It is the Illusion of Knowledge" ~ Daniel Boorstin

Angie,
    Ever find anybody outside the MN/WI area that knows how to play sheepshead? Great card game, but few know how to play?
    H2O Control Guy

Something I learned in the barn growing up. "Never walk behind a cow that is coughing."

I'm in for some Jack of Diamonds partner!
    That's my boy "Blue"!!!! Flyin High in the Passenger Side x Katie May of Belgrade

you guys probably mauer! i got out on the ice for the first time tonight on beaver dam, cold as hell and only 4 dinks to show for it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by H2O_Control_guy View Post
    Angie,
    Ever find anybody outside the MN/WI area that knows how to play sheepshead? Great card game, but few know how to play?
    Nope! Nobody knows what I'm talking about!!! I think it's pretty much a regional thing.

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Angie B View Post
    Ahhh takes me back!!! Lots of good fishing on Winnebago and Butte des Morts... Playing sheepshead in the shanty and watching those tip ups.. Uber Good!!!

Kinda sick actually and I'm glad I moved to Texas...

Walleye Rocks and Is The Bomb!!!

Angie
    C'mon Angie,
    Ice fishing is one of the peculiar delights of living up nort'.
    A nip of abbergluts (sp?) and everything warms up nicely!!

Can't have much more fun than that!!!!
    Stan b & Elvis