RetrieverTraining.Net - the RTF banner

Dog Thief in LaFayette, La. HELP - Update: Found :(

70K views 228 replies 108 participants last post by  Good Dogs 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Returning from a great duck hunt in Texas with clients and my son Jamie we stopped in LaFayette for the night. Some scumbag in a Chevy/GM extended cab pickup truck spotted my dogtruck and stole my son's dog out of a padlocked dog box. He also took clothes and hunting equipment. A video from the back of the Wafflehouse caught him on camera but couldn't make out the plate number. My son is on leave from the Air Force before his next deployment and his dog, Boz ,is his child !! He has had him since he was 6 weeks old and he 10 years old now.

Please help us catch this f---king thief in the LaFayette , La. area.

Davis

#3 ·
Dogman50,

Have you contacted local law enforcement? If so, were they helpful at all?

I hope you get that low-life. I can't think of many things that would be as low as stealing a man's dog.

Maybe you can share more detail on the thief's truck . . . color? . . . year? . . . topper? Could you make out the state of the plate?

Good Luck! I hope you catch him and can get your son's dog back! I can't say what I hope they do to the guy if they get him, it's a family forum!

Swack

#5 ·
Unfortunately, this is on the rise.....

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2012/12...dognapping-cases-are-up-by-almost-70-percent/

http://tinyurl.com/c8g42h8

American Kennel Club Says Dognapping Cases Are Up By Almost 70 Percent

Experts: Most Important Step To Keeping Pets Safe Is Microchipping Them
December 28, 2012 8:59 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — Dogs are being stolen out of cars, yards, off
sidewalks and even out of shelters at an alarming rate, according to the American Kennel Club.

“It only takes a minute for a theft to occur,” American Kennel Club
spokeswoman Lisa Peterson told CBS 2′s Dave Carlin on Friday.

Making any pet owner think twice is surveillance video from last week
that showed “Marley” the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel being menaced by
a stranger, who picked up the frightened dog and walked off with him,
leaving 7-year-old Mia Bendrat heartbroken the day before Christmas.......
- more -

Hope he gets Boz back.

For everyone else....for years I've always parked where I can see my vehicle if I'm carrying dogs. Doesn't matter if I'm just running in to Starbuck's or going in for a meal, I sit where I can see the truck or I leave the restaurant and go elsewhere.

#6 ·
I would contact Captain Paul Mouton with the Lafayette Police Department. Talk with him and you may get a Detective assigned to investigate.

The Wafflehouse is on I-10 so no telling where the thief is from.

Good luck in finding your son's dog!

#7 ·
To the OP, I can't even imagine your anguish, and wish I could help. Don't know how that would happen, but sending you all the best.

Secondly, here's adding to the post, and a possible idea for the op. We've had a similar situation happen with many many items stolen and much damage done to property. Luckily no dogs involved though. Photos have caught trespassers, but just like in this story, the photos are either too far away to make out the plates. We have photos that are the front 1/2 of the vehicle, and photos that are a direct rear shot with a full view of the license, but too far.

Obviously NCIS isn't going to help, and evidently neither is our rural Barney Phife sheriff's department. I've tried blowing up the photos and cropping, with no luck. Does anyone know of a downloadable program to digitally enhance computer photos? Other ideas for the OP and us? Thanks in advance.

#9 ·
The thief's truck was a mid 2000s chevy silverado or gmc sierra, extended cab, goldish pewter with blacked out windows. The perp was mid thirties medium build white man. Attached is a photo of Boz. Another distinguising characteristic is he only has three toes on his hind right foot. The police officer assigned opined that the perp was possibly from Carencro based on the proximity or close by in Lafayette, and the fact he had louisiana plates. Since it was New year's eve it is most likely that he is from around here. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

G
#11 ·
Most people if they find a dog will go on Craigslist they may try to sell him or just let him go. I would get the local tv news to run the story also a full page newspaper story . Someone may know something.prayers sent.

#14 ·
I might be careful about going to the press. Thief might just decide to cut his losses and get rid of the evidence. My heart breaks for your son. Can hardly stand to think about this.

G
#15 ·
Good point. I guess each owner has to weigh the costs. I remember a few years ago when two show dogs were stolen from a LA motel, there was so much publicity that the thief just dropped the dogs off at a nearby shelter. There are alot of retriever clubs like mentioned above the more people aware and looking the better. This is heartbreaking.

#16 · (Edited)
#23 ·
When looking at the video did you see any decalls ,Duck Unlimited ,Browning etc... I would think if a thief was going to take the dog along with your gear he would be a hunter(poacher) and have personnel uses for dog /gear.Contact the conservation dept.and any hunting clubs in the area.

Place an add on CL /Wanted finished hunting dog looking for (give rough description of your son's dog) ,papers do not matter....Something along those lines ...Set a trap.

Good luck ,it knot's my stomach up to think about this.

#34 ·
All I can say is WOW and this is one crazy messed up world. I am so sorry for your situation and will pray that all turns out well. Also, I think this is good advice. I hope you can catch him...this is why I swear the more people I meet, the more I like my dogs. Good luck

#25 · (Edited)
Davis
Are there any still photos they can get from the video of the truck? There are a lot of LA guys on here and someone may recognize the truck. I would post on Craigslist too and offer a reward. I once got back a dog that was stolen from my yard by offering a nice reward. It was worth the $1000 I paid to get the dog back. I know the person that brought her back was the SOB that stole her but I couldn't prove it and was just happy to get the dog back.
This has to be heartbreaking, I hope you find him.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.