The RetrieverTraining.Net Forums The Retriever Academy
Total Retriever Training with Mike Lardy
Hawkeye Media Gunners Up Tritronics Outdoor Media
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: CH/MH breedings

Thanks everyone for the input and pms. We had a medical situation with FIL and MIL doesn't drive so I've been a bit tied up for the past week. Life is just starting to return to normal.
    Hihope Hiland Heathen of Perth CD, RE, CGC, TDI

Banned

I have been pondering!! D a n g e r o u s!! ha!!

Angie and cross bench/field breeders, what traits are you achieving using bench labradors in working/field dogs?
    A dog that is more structuarlly correct with brains, a sound temperament and good looks

Angie, from memory and correct if I am wrong..you were once a dairy farmer. From my limited experience speaking to dairy farmers they may cross Jerseys and Friesians to obtain better quality and quantity.
    Yes I was,, Thank you for remembering. We didn't cross breed among the species. We stuck with strictly Holsteins. Cattle and hog genetics are far superior to what we do with horses and dogs. It's an agricultural industry. We had a company come out to "map" our herd and they would select bulls from their inventory specifically to compliment each cow. You usually had 3 options per cow. They could predict on any of their bulls the % of prepotency or repeatability their stud had in specific areas. Be it structure or milk/butter fat production.

After you have a bench and AKC hunt test champion.....who do you breed to .........show or field?
    All depends... Are we talking a male CH/MH or a female CH/MH?

Are there multiple generations of SH & MH?
    Within the CH/MH dog or bitch?? I'm not sure what you're asking.

Angie

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie View Post
    I have been pondering!! D a n g e r o u s!! ha!!

Angie and cross bench/field breeders, what traits are you achieving using bench labradors in working/field dogs?

Angie, from memory and correct if I am wrong..you were once a dairy farmer. From my limited experience speaking to dairy farmers they may cross Jerseys and Friesians to obtain better quality and quantity.

After you have a bench and AKC hunt test champion.....who do you breed to .........show or field?

Are there multiple generations of SH & MH?
    Speaking to the dairy cow question. A common reason to cross Jersey with Holstein (Friesian) is for calving ease in first calf heifers, using a Jersey bull on the Holsteins to get smaller calves. I can't say the crosses we had were all around better than the purebreds, but they did have higher butterfat in their milk than pure Holsteins.

Whether a cross of show to field lines will be better quality than straight field or straight show depends entirely on your goals, what is quality to you?

If you cross a CH/MH to a field line dog you will not normally end up with more CH/MHs, the field lines look too different, so if you are trying to get more Ch/MHs you usually stick to show lines.

Multiple generation CH/MH pedigrees exist, not sure what you are asking exactly.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    If you like Blades,
    Like? I love Blades. What he overcame is amazing. When I was going to get a pup from Magic's litter it was before Blades was a MH. I knew Blades story and having owned a lab that came back from the obiss I wanted that can do spirit. Unfortunately I never got to meet him because he was running a master test when I flew out to get Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by wheelhorse View Post
    Ellison Armfield at Armbrook Labs knows alot about Ch/MH. She's produced three, out of one bitch. She might be able to point you in the right direction.
    I was totally bummed out but I understand when she decided to spay Pepper. I met Diggs a few times when Magic was a kid. Heck Magic actually met Diggs.

I'd like to thank everyone for not turning this nasty about field and show. Both live in my house for those that have questioned thru pm. The yellow in my aviator is a Nitro son and the black is the Blades son.

Just brought home my Goose daughter.love what I am seeing so far
    Nicole

Trained by:
    AKC CH pointed USJ HR U-GRCH Fish Dog's Playing in the Kona Surf MH CGC "Kona"
    WindyCanyon's Don't Stop Believin JH " Journey"- Heathen in training
    Folly Hill's Crazy Train @ Triple Threat " Ozzy"
    www.triplethreatretrievers.com

Quote Originally Posted by kona's mom View Post
    Just brought home my Goose daughter.love what I am seeing so far
    Glad to know you are home safe!!!!!!! Red girl (Ready!) is being a gem here too.

Love, Love, Love my Goose Girl! Showing lots of promise in the field and is drop dead gorgeous Good luck with her.

Thanks for the plug for Jett. He left for the Beauty Pagent part today! First show will be next weekend